JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pre-made lirc config file for automation controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: pre-made lirc config file for automation controller Reply with quote

Is there a preferred set of codes to use for LIRC on a home automation controller? I need about 75 unique IR codes in my OpenHab setup to run various commands. I though about just picking a random NEC1 device code and generating a bunch of signals in IrScrutinizer and exporting each one into LIRC format.

But is something like this already available? Something that would not have potential collisions with other devices would be nice. If it is not available, what would be the best protocol and device code to use when generating them?

I am going to use these on an MX-990 remote so I looked through the database for codes to use. I saw a few good candidates like CentraLite, Crestron, Celadon, or even X-10 that have a whole bunch of generic codes like button1, button2, button3, etc. Any ideas on how to find those codes in an LIRC config file? Or just bite the bullet and learn them all into LIRC from the MX-990?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just want a random set of IR signals, you don't really care what they are just as long as they don't clash with something you already have, is that it?

If so, what format do you need them in? I would suggest using an NEC1 or NEC2 signals, because they're so standard, and just pick some device codes that aren't otherwise in use. You could use device code 213 with any sub-device code, as I'm not aware of any device 213 NEC codes.
bluto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that about sums it up. I am trying to control three different zones of my Nuvo WHA system (Family Room, Kitchen and Deck) from my MX-990. There is no system level IR control, only an IR sensor on each keypad which won't always be in the line of sight of the remote. So the only way to do it is through the serial port interface. Each zone page on the MX-990 will have about 25 functions so each one needs to send a unique IR code to the MRF-260 base station with a blaster that sends the IR signals to LIRC on a Raspberry PI running OpenHAB. OpenHAB sees the event from LIRC and then runs a specific action that will send the appropriate command out the serial port connected to the Nuvo.

I already have this working for a limited set of buttons to control a few lights but now need to expand it with many more IR codes. So that's why I asked if there were best practices to find a range of IR codes that were not likely to conflict with anything else. NEC1, Device 213 is what I will use. Thanks for the help!
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEC1 is a good choice: it is long enough to be very resistant against false decodes, it does not have a toggle (Hi Vicky!), it is easy to write a decoder, and there are tons of such around (but some have problems with the repeat). If building new hardware, I recommend TSOP 13438.

In IrScrutinizer, you can do the following: Select pane Scrutinize remote/Parametric remote. Right mouse (RMB) menu, select "Add empty signal" (or "Add test signal"). Edit it to NEC1 D=213 F=0, anything (non-empty) as name. Then click that line, RMB menu -> Advanced -> "Add missing Fs". This will fill in all Fs. Edit the names to your liking and/or delete unwanted. Then go to the export pane, select Lirc as export format, and press Export parametric remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have multiple codesets with different device codes, use 213 as the main device code and then use different values for the sub-device codes.
bluto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot dang, that 'Add missing Fs' function is a lifesaver! I thought I was going to have to manually add a row for each function. But in a couple clicks it generated all 255 functions for NEC1 D213. Thanks for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: