JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how do I get started with Xsight Touch / URC-8603
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tajvdz wrote:
Another thing that is confusing me is the 2 programs to use. RMIR and RM (Remote Master) It is not clear which one to use to get started. This is also because for the 2nd program 2 names are used. For me as a beginner it seemed more logical to use Remote Master because this is the name of the zip file. I hope you know what I mean.

What do you mean by "for the 2nd program 2 names are used" ? Are you getting confused because we refer to Remote Master by its initials, RM? Have you ever referred to Internet Explorer as "IE" or used the phrase "MS Word" instead of Microsoft Word? That's the first time that question has ever come up, and that program is about 16 years old.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
tajvdz wrote:
Another thing that is confusing me is the 2 programs to use. RMIR and RM (Remote Master) It is not clear which one to use to get started. This is also because for the 2nd program 2 names are used. For me as a beginner it seemed more logical to use Remote Master because this is the name of the zip file. I hope you know what I mean.

What do you mean by "for the 2nd program 2 names are used" ? Are you getting confused because we refer to Remote Master by its initials, RM? Have you ever referred to Internet Explorer as "IE" or used the phrase "MS Word" instead of Microsoft Word? That's the first time that question has ever come up, and that program is about 16 years old.

Yes using RM for Remote Master confused me. Especially because there is also RMIR...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that something you can learn to live with? We've called it RM since the beginning so I'd rather not ask everyone to change now.

Also, just FYI, RMIR and RM are really different parts of the same program. When it was originally developed it was just RM, at that point we had a separate program called IR.exe which we used to communicate with the remote, but eventually RM was expanded and its RMIR side was developed to take over from IR.

You also asked where you should save your .rmir and .rmdu files, the answer is "wherever you like". Personally, I have created 2 new folders under my JP1 folder called "RMIR files" and "RM files" (all under "My Documents").
tajvdz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Is that something you can learn to live with? We've called it RM since the beginning so I'd rather not ask everyone to change now.

Also, just FYI, RMIR and RM are really different parts of the same program. When it was originally developed it was just RM, at that point we had a separate program called IR.exe which we used to communicate with the remote, but eventually RM was expanded and its RMIR side was developed to take over from IR.

You also asked where you should save your .rmir and .rmdu files, the answer is "wherever you like". Personally, I have created 2 new folders under my JP1 folder called "RMIR files" and "RM files" (all under "My Documents").

Oh yes sure I can learn to live with it. But it is what you said. For you it is very common but for people like me who just started to use the program it can be confusing.

What are .rmdu files? I didn't get them yet. Just the .rmir I saved after downloading from the remote. With RM files you mean the program or the files created by RM?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR handles remote profiles and creates/updates .RMIR files.
RM handles device upgrades and creates/updates .RMDU files. (Remote Master Device Upgrade)
tajvdz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
RMIR handles remote profiles and creates/updates .RMIR files.
RM handles device upgrades and creates/updates .RMDU files. (Remote Master Device Upgrade)

ok, I didn't get that far to get the RMDU files. I hope to have time tonoght to continue with it
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand your confusion over names, and I have been the main developer of RMIR, or RemoteMaster, for many years now. See, even there I did not know what to call it. As you say, the zip file (and the Java .jar file) is called RemoteMaster and when you run Setup.vbs to create shortcuts, it creates three of them called Remote Master, RMIR and RMPB. So it is natural to treat Remote Master as the main program.

The problem is, as Rob explained, that originally Remote Master was the main, and only, program in the Java .jar file. RMIR came along later and RMPB much later still. RMIR is now the main program and is the one that will open if you double-click on the RemoteMaster.jar file. See, the name confusion again, but I agree with Rob that it would cause even more confusion to start re-naming any of them now. BTW you don't need to bother about the third program, RMPB (RM Protocol Builder) that produces .rmpb files as this really is for advanced users only.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to change the names of 2 buttons on the touch screen but it seems that almost al codes of this device are lost now. How is that possible? Did i do something wrong? It is only this device. Is it hard to get these back? I have some papaers with codes I used on the old website..
Does the program keep a beackup of the remote beofre it was saved again? I downloaded from remote, changed the 2 buttons and saved it under the same name.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you actually dd. But I can tell you this has never happened to me when programming dozens of Xsights for over a decade.

Chalk this one up to a lesson learned in saving at least one backup copy before you change anything.

Post your RMIR file, and I'll see if there is any way to recover your lost data.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I did was editing the tekst of a button on the touch screen. I didn't add a function.

How can I add the file?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=user_upload&cat_id=35
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tajvdz wrote:
How can I add the file?
  • Use the File Section link at the top of this page
  • click on the Diagnosis Area folder
  • click on the Upload button
  • Enter the relevant data and select you file and upload it
  • Click on the File Section link again
  • The link to your new file will be to the right of the Diagnosis Area entry, right-click it and select "Copy link address", then post this link here

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tajvdz wrote:
I managed to change the names of 2 buttons on the touch screen but it seems that almost al codes of this device are lost now. How is that possible? Did i do something wrong? It is only this device. Is it hard to get these back? I have some papaers with codes I used on the old website..
Does the program keep a beackup of the remote beofre it was saved again? I downloaded from remote, changed the 2 buttons and saved it under the same name.

If you truly have lost everything, you'll need to start over using our files rather than whatever you downloaded from EZ-RC. What devices do you need to program? Look for them in the file section, chances are we have files for all of your devices, and keep in mind that for most of the major brands (Sony, Panasonic, etc) most similar models use the same remote codes, so if we don't have your exact model of DVD player, see if we have something that's close enough, it might work.

Once you've downloaded all the upgrade files (ie, RMDU files and some text files that work the same), next go back to your RMIR file, go to the Devices tab, click New and then Add each of the upgrade files. Be sure to check the button layout and if it's not to your liking, feel free to re-arrange them.
tajvdz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
tajvdz wrote:

If you truly have lost everything, you'll need to start over using our files rather than whatever you downloaded from EZ-RC. What devices do you need to program? Look for them in the file section, chances are we have files for all of your devices, and keep in mind that for most of the major brands (Sony, Panasonic, etc) most similar models use the same remote codes, so if we don't have your exact model of DVD player, see if we have something that's close enough, it might work.

Once you've downloaded all the upgrade files (ie, RMDU files and some text files that work the same), next go back to your RMIR file, go to the Devices tab, click New and then Add each of the upgrade files. Be sure to check the button layout and if it's not to your liking, feel free to re-arrange them.

I haven't lost everything. Only one device lost almost all functions. That was the device that I edited before. The only thing I did was changing 2 labels on the buttons of the touch screen.

Here is the link to my RMIR file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25861

The device that doesn't work anymore is device #6, Receiver. It seems that only power and standby are working. If I look in the remote itself the device code is still there and also in the RMIR file it looks like all buttons have still their codes. When I press the keys on the remote the red led above in the touch screen is blinking but nothing happens. When I use the Original remote it works just fine.

So I hope someone will be able to explain what is wrong
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this fixes it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25862
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: