JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No Remote Found when trying to upload
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. You tried the one for 10.9 and above and it didn't work?
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that Dave, thanks. I’ll try it in the morning.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks hopeful. I would manually in RMIR select Remote -> Interface -> J11.X Serial... and then select /dev/cu... (or /dev/tty.usb...) (make sure they are there) explicitly. If it still does not work, upload rmaster.err to the diagnostic area.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, I tried what you suggested. When I select interface I get 3 choices to click in the next pop-up: Auto-detect, CommHID..., and JPS...

Clicking auto detect shits down the open pop up windows.

Clicking CommHID..., opens another popup that says Select the desired port: either Auto-detect, HIS, or Other, where you can type in one.

Clicking JPS..., opens another popup that says Select the desired port: either Auto-detect, or Other, where you can type in one.

Not sure if you expected other options?
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Apple Help. They said I needed the specific driver from the FTDI driver manufacturer. I explained I found one, but had no idea how to pin down the specific one for this cable. I did ask if I tried to download a driver for MacOS 10.9 and higher from FTDI.com, could I screw up anything Apple could not help me fix on the phone. She said they could fix whatever I messed up.

Following instructions on FTDI.com for adding their driver, it says you have to disable or unload the Mac software FTDI driver before you can load their driver.

I tried a Sudo command in Terminal, which is supposed to temporary desirable the Mac FTDI driver (which seemed like a good non-permanent option, which only disables it until the next re-boot) but it failed to execute, including after I rebooted per the website's instruction.

I called Apple again. They said they could not help me.

While I would like my Mac to run Remote Master to connect via this cable as it had in the past, I'm not sure I want to get in the root directory or potentially mess up my MacOS, when this is the only thing that doesn't work, and I can use my wife's Windows PC when I need it for Remote Master

I don't like leaving things like this unsolved. However, sometimes you need to pick your battles. I may be over matched being uncomfortable with Mac Terminal commands and consequences of screwing up.

Maybe it will work again the next time I get a Mac Software upgrade?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sti491 wrote:

Clicking JPS..., opens another popup that says Select the desired port: either Auto-detect, or Other, where you can type in one.

There should be selectable alteratives /dev/cu.usbserial-AH034K25 and/or /dev/tty.usbserial-AH034K25. You can try to enter it explicitly in the panel.

And, saying it for the third time, upload the rmaster.err for us to have a look at.

Unfortunately, my Mac Mini (from "early 2009") does not run CatalinaOS.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, you know what they say... 3rd time's the charm!

Here is the file in the diag section: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25805

Thank you !

Last edited by sti491 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf,

There are no settable options in Remote - Interface - JPS.... SO I clicked on "Other" then cut & Pasted your suggestions: /dev/cu.usbserial-AH034K25, then after that /dev/tty.usbserial-AH034K25.

Same result: no remote found.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, ever since I have been using Remote Master on my Mac, the way I started it was opening Finder, scrolling down to find the "RemoteMaster.Jar" file, then double clicking it and it would open.

Since upgrading to MacOS Catalina, I get a warning pop-up that says it cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. There are 2 choices given to select from, either "Move to Trash" or "Cancel".

I hit Cancel the first time I tried this, and I was right back to Finder. Did it again, hit cancel, and Remote Master opens and worked as normal (except for my cable not working to the remote).

I have opened RemoteMaste.Jar several times now with since after the MacOS software upgrade... it's always the same thing: two warnings, 2 "cancel" clicks, then it opens.

I posted a screen shot of what that looks like:
https://i.imgur.com/m4PM7ax.jpg
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this workaround:
  • In the Finder on your Mac, locate the app you want to open.
  • Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
  • Click Open.
The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it or from cli, just as you can with any authorized app.

If that does not work, try this:
  • go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>General,
  • set 'Allow Apps etc' to 'Anywhere'.
  • Change it back after you download this app.
Be aware that bypassing the normal security settings may not be safe.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, the work around to start the RemoteMaster.Jar file without those security warnings worked great. Thanks!

It didn't fix the cable issue, but I didn't expect it to. It did get rid of an annoyance though, which is really nice.

While we're on a roll, is there a way to launch and quit Remote Master from the desktop Launch Pad? Or even from a desktop file... rather than going into Finder, scrolling to find the RemoteMaster.jar file to double click it?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were Windows, I'd tell you to right-click and do Send To > Desktop, does the Mac have something equivalent ? Can you right click and select something to add it to your dock?

How about this...
Quote:
Add Applications To The Dock
Click on the Go menu, at the top of the screen, select Applications. Locate the application that you want to add to the Dock. Click and drag this application's icon to the left-hand section of the Dock. (Make sure you don't drag this icon on top of another dock icon.

sti491

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, the problem seems to be that the RemoteMaster.jar file is not an application, so using the Go Menu approach doesn't work.

I can copy the RemoteMaster.jar file onto the desktop. But when I click to open that it says no Map files found, then it wants me choose the directory the map files are in... and I can't find those. What are map files and where are they?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so now we're making progress, maps are images with the buttons mapped out, that's how when you edit a device upgrade you can go to the Layout tab and see a picture of the remote and you can drop functions onto the buttons. So, bottom line, they're in the Images folder.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the rmaster.err and... first line says:
RemoteMaster v2.03 Alpha 28

You are using a really ancient version!! Evil or Very Mad That is wasting both your and our time! Please upgrade to the current one before doing anything else!

Also at the end of rmaster.err, it says that the shared libraries could not be loaded, so it cannot work. (Yes that might be the "security problem".)

After updating, start RMIR and select "About". It should say, among other things, JP1.X Serial version 0.24 (which verifies that the shared library has successfully loaded).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: