JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No Remote Found when trying to upload
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sti491

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: No Remote Found when trying to upload Reply with quote

Hi all. It seems like I make a post here (plea for help) every couple years when something changes in my JP1 remote home theater set up which is nothing fancy, but I have a lot of macros and such.

I have always used the same cable I made with mjdave's help way back in 2015 I think. Had no problems 2 years ago when I made a few changes switching houses, dumping Spectrum cable and going to Hulu, then landing with YouTube TV.

So today, I got a new Vizio M558-G1 TV because my 5 year old Vizio M50 just had terminal screen failure. I needed to change a couple macros for the new TV. No problem doing that.

After I saved the file I connected the remote with cable, but got a "No Remotes Found" message. Interestingly, after unplugging the cable from the remote, the remote didn't work, as if it were bricked. It's an extended RCRP05BR. I took out the batteries, replaced them and it worked fine.

This happened several times as I was checking my connections, etc. I even undid my electrical taped homemade plug that goes into the 4 pins on the remote to check for broken wires. They look good. When I plug in the USB end, the green lights blink rapidly and stay off. I think that's what they did before, but really can't remember.

The things that are the same and what changed on my PC setup since I last successfully connected are as follows:

Same:
1. It's a MacBook Pro Lap top in a dock
2. Same RCA remote
3. Same home-made USB JP1 cable

Different:
1. Recently upgraded the Mac software to Catalina
2. Changed from an unpowered 4 USB plug hub (that worked great before with my JP1 cable), to a 7 USB plug powered Hub now.

When I failed after several attempts, I took the laptop out of the dock, then tried the USB cable directly to the mac and had the same problem.

Any ideas how I can connect my remote successfully to download my revised file would be greatly appreciated!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried downloading from the remote? If so, do you get the same problem? Have you also tried the raw download option?

Not to cast doubt on your handiwork building the cable, but given that you can get a new one from $3.39 shipped, you might want to consider getting a new one, if only to have as a backup.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
sti491

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robman. The cable I started with, looks like the first one pictured in the link you provided. All I did was superglue the four pins together in the right configuration then put a mini zip tie on it and electrical tape it so that it was firm and secure.

It doesn’t seem to want to connect to the remote any which way or the other, although I did not do the raw download yet.

You don’t think the powered USB hud had anything to do with damaging my cable do you?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could conceive of the HUB getting in the way of you being able to make a complete connection, but I can't see how it could damage the cable or the remote.

The reason I suggested doing a raw download is because it bypasses all the RDFs and so removes one more variable, though I don't expect it to magically fix your situation.

Do you just have the one JP1 remote? If you have others, have you tried those? If you have a remote that's not in service, try doing a 981-style reset on it first. And don't forget the batteries, make sure you're not using old batteries.
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips.

I have new batteries in the remote. I had another, new Cable that I never used. I tried using that. Same result.

I have another remote. Tried downloading from that with the same result.

Same with raw download.

I took the Mac laptop out of the dock, put the cable directly in the Macbook's USB, same result.

All my other USB connections are working fine.

Frustration. It has work flawlessly for me for many years...
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found an unopened, never used RCRP05BR remote I bought as a back up. Put brand new fresh batteries in it.

Same result.

Seems crazy my software upgrade to Catalina would cause this? Especially with everything else working from the USB port.

I'm going to go to the gym to work out my frustration! Persistence usually beats resistance. There has to be a solution to this.

I did try loading RIMIR onto my wife's laptop to see if I could make it work that way. Had to load Java. But I could not get the remote master.jar file to execute to start the program. She needed her PC so I had to stop for now. Am I missing something?

I may try that later.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just setup RMIR on your wife's Windows machine, be sure to run setup.vbs to establish the right shortcuts, then use those to start RMIR.
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I did not do that. It may be tomorrow before I can get back on her machine..
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smells like the OS does not recognize the cable chip. Do this:
Open the terminal application. Do an "ls" on the /dev directory, with and without the cable plugged id, and try to find if and how the thing is recognized. In particular look for names of the type /dev/cu.usbserial-* and /dev/tty.usbserial-* (where * is a is an 8-character letter-number combination). Use for example the commands
Code:

ls /dev/cu* /dev/tty.usb*
(The stars are a part of the command.) Post the result.

Also upload rmaster.err to the diagonse area.
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Barf. I tend to agree with you, but I am not that good at computer commands to figure it out on my own, but I did as you suggested.

Not sure how to interpret these results. This is with the MacBook out of the dock.

The first command is without anything plugged in the USB.

The second is with the cable plug directly in the Mac USB port, with the other end not connected to the remote.

Last login: Tue Jan 14 16:12:04 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
Robs-MacBook-Pro:~ robwatson$ ls /dev/cu* /dev/tty.usb*
ls: /dev/tty.usb*: No such file or directory
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.polksb9500bt-SPPDev
/dev/cu.RobWatsonsiPhone-Wirele
Robs-MacBook-Pro:~ robwatson$ ls /dev/cu* /dev/tty.usb*
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.usbserial-AH034K25
/dev/cu.RobWatsonsiPhone-Wirele /dev/tty.usbserial-AH034K25
/dev/cu.polksb9500bt-SPPDev
Robs-MacBook-Pro:~ robwatson$
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got Remote Master to work perfectly on my wife's Microsoft PC by using the setup file making short cuts per Robman's suggestion.

It was interesting when I plugged in my cable Windows had a pop-up saying something about configuring or setting up my cable, that happened pretty fast, then the cable worked flawlessly, as had previously on my MacBook.

I got the macros changed that I wanted this go-round, and can use her Windows/PC in the future when needed.

Makes me wonder if something in Catalina OS upgrade requires that cable to be set up as a device somehow on the Mac? Usually Mac's are more user friendly than Windows.... doesn't seem to be in this case.

While no longer mission critical, if anyone has suggestions how to get the cable to work on my Mac again, it would be a nice riddle to solve.

Thank to everyone who helped me so far!
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr Barf, I found a set of instructions on-line for "Steps to Set Up a Serial Terminal". I am assuming our cable is a serial terminal?

Looks like it starts with the same commands you suggested and I tried.

I will play with that further tomorrow.
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bunch of google searches I have determined that the MacOS upgrade to Catalina can frag the driver needed to run FT232R USB - Serial adaptors and other devices with this type of chip set.

Rather than going nuts trying to find the right driver and instal it so it works, tomorrow I'm calling the Mac help desk. They have been extremely helpful in the past.

I bet they can walk me through it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mdave...good to see you are still around. I actually found that site also tonight. My problem is they don’t list a driver for CatalinaOS vers 10.15.2, which what the kind folks at Apple did for me as an “upgrade”...LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: