JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IrScrutinizer: Save meta data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: IrScrutinizer: Save meta data Reply with quote

Hello,
Using IrScrutinizer, when I want to export remote codes from Scrutinize remote tab in Girr format, I get a pop-up window where I can enter meta data: Name, Display Name, Manufacturer, ...
These meta data are recorded in the xml file:
Code:
<remote comment="Export from IrScrutinizer" deviceClass="TV" displayName="myName" manufacturer="LG" model="55UF860V" ...

When I import this file with Import tab, I can't find a place or button where are displayed the meta data.
Do I miss something?

BTW, when I export a single signal from the Scrutinize signal tab, I don't get the pop-up window to enter meta data. This could be an enhancement to have one.

Thanks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: IrScrutinizer: Save meta data Reply with quote

MrNice wrote:
When I import this file with Import tab, I can't find a place or button where are displayed the meta data.
Do I miss something?

No, you are right; meta data is not imported. The "high level" reason is that there is (deliberately) no "Save/Restore", but "just" Import and Export. IrScrutinizer (presently) cannot do anything with the meta data, it is just written (on request) in the export formats supporting it. In the long term, I hope to have a sort-of "multi remote editor", see also this issue, but that is not really around the corner -- unless someone helps.

Quote:
BTW, when I export a single signal from the Scrutinize signal tab, I don't get the pop-up window to enter meta data. This could be an enhancement to have one.

Again, you are right. But this time it should not be that hard... Wink
MrNice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my very basic use case, I'd be glad to get a display of the meta data just as a recall of the imported remote codes. There is some room at the right part of the Import tab to copy these data.
However this is not vital.
Thanks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can be done fairly easily is the following: After importing a Girr file (either through the panel, drag-n-drop, or as command line argument), the meta data of the last import will be used as default for subsequent exports. Differently put, after importing a Girr file, the next export will have the import's meta data as default on the meta data popup.

Whaddyasay?
MrNice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
What can be done fairly easily is the following: After importing a Girr file (either through the panel, drag-n-drop, or as command line argument), the meta data of the last import will be used as default for subsequent exports. Differently put, after importing a Girr file, the next export will have the import's meta data as default on the meta data popup.

This is a very good idea.
However, the user, to remember the meta data (what is in the file) has 2 ways; Or name the file with it or open the file and read the xml comment line. Nothing directly in IrScrutinizer program.
Why not display the meta data somewhere it the program; In the Import tab as I explained above or in a pop-up window after a pushing a button.
Is it hard to implement? (newbie question).
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want just to add "random" stuff, in particular GUI elements -- generally speaking, the can be detrimental to user friendlyness. Popup can at times be very annoying (that is the main reason why IrScope is such a horrible user experience... Wink ).

Have look at the Wave importer. It writes some information from the imported file to the console (sample frequency, bitdepth, number channels, their phase...). That might be an idea.

I'll keep you suggestion in mind when redesigning the imports!

Quote:

However, the user, to remember the meta data (what is in the file) has 2 ways; Or name the file with it or open the file and read the xml comment line. Nothing directly in IrScrutinizer program.

For Windows, it would be possible to write an Explorer extension that gives you the meta data, possibly as a helptext when you hover over it. (For Linux and Mac, there are similar possibilities). Care to do it? (BTW, the same thing can be done for RM/RMIR files; anyone volunteering?)
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The request(s) recorded here.
MrNice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a lot for your great work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: