JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF (RF learning, not IR) learning universal JP1 remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidgamr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: RF (RF learning, not IR) learning universal JP1 remote? Reply with quote

Does one exist? The ones I've found in a search only control the base that comes with them (which in turn send out IR). I would like a JP1 (preferably) Universal that outputs RF that can control our new "Wally" receiver from Dish Network. Does such a thing exist?
Thanks for your time! Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert at this, but my understanding is that one of the main differences between RF and IR is that, while IR signals can be customized by software (which is what we do here), to change RF signals requires changes in hardware, which makes it impossible to use a JP1-like concept to change RF signals.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're not aware, your Wally is also IR capable. So a traditional RF remote with base and a traditional IR remote will both work fine.
avidgamr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
In case you're not aware, your Wally is also IR capable. So a traditional RF remote with base and a traditional IR remote will both work fine.

Do you have a recommended list? Of remotes/base I mean...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only JP1 RF remotes I know of are the very old URC-9910 and the Xsight Touch / Nevo C3. Another option is getting any IR JP1 remote and adding a Next Generation RF battery and base to it. Lastly, you could send IR over HDMI or use a repeater like LeapFrog or cheap equivalent.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC2125BC0 is a recent JP1 remote that supports RF. It is the first remote I have come across that uses the Texas Instruments CC2530 processor, which is described by TI as supporting 2.4-GHz IEEE 802.15.4 and ZigBee Applications. I believe the remote supports programmable RF, in that it certainly has data segments in its E2 area that are related to RF. That is about the extent of my current knowledge of it. I am currently studying it to try to find out more.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a URC-9910 remote, with the RF base unit, I have several, so I could probably sell you one if you like.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you want a URC-9910 remote, with the RF base unit, I have several, so I could probably sell you one if you like.

Thanks for the offer, Rob, but I don't think it would help me understand the RF capabilities of the URC2125BC0, which is what I really want to do.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: RF (RF learning, not IR) learning universal JP1 remote? Reply with quote

This won't help but just a FYI
There is another old RF Remote
It is the kameleon URC-9964B00
It has jp1 pads in the battery compartment
and I believe I downloaded from it once
There is no RDF for it and I decided not to pursue it
a long time ago. I believe the RF was for x10 Home automation
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Thanks for the offer, Rob, but I don't think it would help me understand the RF capabilities of the URC2125BC0, which is what I really want to do.

Lol, that was a reply for avidgamr
NBoater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI a couple more remotes with RF capability: The One For All URC-9040 and URC-8350.
The former comes with an RF receiver for PC control and the latter a socket for home automation .
RDFs and extenders exist for both but neither really use the (limited) RF capabilities.
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RF (RF learning, not IR) learning universal JP1 remote? Reply with quote

avidgamr wrote:
Does one exist? The ones I've found in a search only control the base that comes with them (which in turn send out IR). I would like a JP1 (preferably) Universal that outputs RF that can control our new "Wally" receiver from Dish Network. Does such a thing exist?
Thanks for your time! :)

Your wally receiver does both RF and IR. The IR and RF signals are the same in terms of high/low data stream. In other words the IR receiver sees exactly the same data as the RF receiver.
I used to pick up old receivers at the electronics recycling and remove the small RF receiver module then bring the receiver back to the recycling depot. It has 3 pins, data, gnd and 12V.

What I do NOW is use a universal remote with the Dish protocol (you can get the upgrade in the download section) and an IR repeater/IR extender.
You can get a wired repeater or wireless one on ebay however I made my own (really easy).
Since we don't use landline phones anymore (most people don't), my whole house is "repurposing" the existing phone lines for the IR signal, with a IR receiver in the room where the TV is and a repeater in the room where the dish receiver is.
The repeater simply sends 56KHz IR when the IR receiver is low.

In instances where you must have an RF remote, there are Dish RF remotes available on ebay as well, but they are not JP1 programmable. I use these RF remotes with the RF receiver modules I mentioned above for some devices that can't use a repeater. This is more complicated, as the custom software I wrote decodes the dish RF (using the module from the recycling depot) and converts it to IR, then transmits it across the room to the device.
I have used this setup to align my over the air antenna on the roof using the dish RF remote on the roof to change the settings on the over the air receiver.

I don't know what your requirements are, however the easiest way for you to achieve what you want is get an IR repeater or an IR extender. from ebay. Make sure the one you get does 56 KHz as most of them only do 38 KHz.

In my experience, the wireless ones don't work very reliably so get a wired one if your installation will allow it. I think they are about $2 - $5 shipped. If it doesn't work for you, you are not out a lot of money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: