JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G Extender Help - Shift key does not work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seeThor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: OARUSB04G Extender Help - Shift key does not work Reply with quote

Hi All:

I am looking for some help understanding how to use the shift key for the OARUSB04G extender v1.4. I've posted the RMIR image of what I am trying to do here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25711

I've programmed one device, AUDIO2 with a device upgrade that I created. I am trying to access the AUDIO2 device using the shift key and the behavior of the remote does not correspond to what is in the extender manual.

On pages 6 and 7 the following is stated, "A short press of List now gives a Shift action. To act as the List button it now needs to be held for one second or more. If you release the List button before an LED lights up, it gives the Shift action and an LED will flash on release."

When I press the List button the TV device button illuminates immediately. Ignoring the inconsistency I press the AUDIO device button and the receiver I am sending these signals to does not respond.

I do not believe I am getting the remote into a shifted state. It does appear that the extender is installed. I am able to utilize other functions such as the transport and channel punch throughs as well as the additional phantom buttons.

Any assistance that could aid me in pushing through this would be much appreciated.

seeTHOR
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posted setup has only the one device, on AUDIO2. Why have you put it on a shifted device when all the unshifted devices are unset? I've never tested the extender in such a peculiar setup, though my first thoughts are that I see no reason why the shift does not function.

Does your device upgrade work if you put it on an unshifted device? If you post a more realistic upgrade that still doesn't work, where the unshifted devices are also set, then I will look further into this.
seeThor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathdon, thank you for responding to my post.

Agreed, this isn't realistic I was just trying to understand the shifted functionality. This is just and artifact of the way I work by isolating out the unnecessary stuff. Good point, this may some weird edge case that was never tested.

Yes, this device upgrade does work. I just tested it by moving it to the unshifted TV device and works as expected.

I created a more realistic example. The linked file represents the file I use to control my TV/CBL/Audio setup. Those are mapped to unshifted devices. I then mapped the DeLonghi Heater codes to TV2. Below is the file.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25712

After uploading that file to the remote, it still does not behave as described in the instructions. When I short press the list button the TV LED illuminates immediately. Then I press the Audio device button and it does not control the device I expect it to.

Should I try to do a reinstall of the extender?

Again, thank you for helping me with this. I'm very new to this and am probably doing something bone-headed.
seeThor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a thought I had since the last post, I thought I'd try to uninstall and reinstall the extender. I did that and there was no change. The shift key is still not working. The below are the steps I took to uninstall / reinstall

1) Renamed Settings_reset_OARUSB04G(257601).bin to settings.bin. Copied that to the remote. Used drag and drop in windows file explorer.

2) Verified that the extender was uninstalled by doing a download from RMIR. At this point RMIR reported that there were only 4 devices. I took this as the extender was uninstalled.

3) Renamed the file “Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104(2576A1).bin” to “settings.bin”. I never made a copy of the original settings.bin file. I know, my bad. Copied that settings.bin to the remote. Used drag and drop in windows file explorer.

4) In RMIR selected File->Install Extender...
-I did not load an RMIR file as I did not have one that was from an unextended remote.

5) Selected the file “OARUSB04G_extender104.hex”. Click the Open button.

6) Did a upload within RMIR.

7) Applied the RMIR file that is linked in my last post and uploaded that to the remote.

8) At this point I tested. Short pressed the List button, the TV LED illuminated immediately. I then pressed the TV button then power. It did not control my device.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the further information. I will load your setup into my OARUSB04G and do some testing, but it may not be for a few days as I am busy with other things.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two remotes, a URC6440 and a OARUSB04G as a spare. With the extender, they are almost the same remote.

The Shift/List key works just fine on my OARUSB04G, but I do not create the files for the OARUSB04G. I make them for the URC6440, upload, then convert them to OARUSB04G by changing the header, then upload to that. I still have to upload from RMIR though.

I have 7 items and these are some techniques I use:

If I want two functions on one key, then in Remote Master I put the original function on x-shift and the secondary function on shift. I then set the key up for a double-press (you could use a long press), and set the x-shift variation for the single press and the shift variation for the double press. This means I can get to the shift variation by a double-press or by list, press.

To get the extra three devices, I actually put them on TV3, etc, rather than TV2. I then use a double key press to select them. The reason being that if I ever have more than 8, I can use Shift>TV etc to get to them rather than Shift>Shift>TV.

The only place I have to use Shift is for two of my startup macros, on the Watch-TV and Watch-Movie. The other 4 are accessed also by single or double presses on these keys.

However, I have tested Shift several times on both and it always works correctly.

So my only answer would be that either there is some sort of variation in your particular handset, which Mathdon is unaware of, or some sort of bug has crept in.

I'd be interested to know whether you SHIFT key only fails on device keys, or generally.
seeThor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Thank you for the further information. I will load your setup into my OARUSB04G and do some testing, but it may not be for a few days as I am busy with other things.

Thank you Mathdon.
seeThor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathdon, please stand down.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had a misunderstanding of the button states and what the flashes meant. After rereading the the extender manual it clicked for me mentally and I was able to get the shifted states to work. This was completely user error. Sorry to spin up on this.

I do appreciate the help.

thanks again.
seeThor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
I have two remotes, a URC6440 and a OARUSB04G as a spare. With the extender, they are almost the same remote.

The Shift/List key works just fine on my OARUSB04G, but I do not create the files for the OARUSB04G. I make them for the URC6440, upload, then convert them to OARUSB04G by changing the header, then upload to that. I still have to upload from RMIR though.

I have 7 items and these are some techniques I use:

If I want two functions on one key, then in Remote Master I put the original function on x-shift and the secondary function on shift. I then set the key up for a double-press (you could use a long press), and set the x-shift variation for the single press and the shift variation for the double press. This means I can get to the shift variation by a double-press or by list, press.

To get the extra three devices, I actually put them on TV3, etc, rather than TV2. I then use a double key press to select them. The reason being that if I ever have more than 8, I can use Shift>TV etc to get to them rather than Shift>Shift>TV.

The only place I have to use Shift is for two of my startup macros, on the Watch-TV and Watch-Movie. The other 4 are accessed also by single or double presses on these keys.

However, I have tested Shift several times on both and it always works correctly.

So my only answer would be that either there is some sort of variation in your particular handset, which Mathdon is unaware of, or some sort of bug has crept in.

I'd be interested to know whether you SHIFT key only fails on device keys, or generally.

davecs, thank you for sharing how you use the SHIFTed buttons. This has introduced me to some concepts about JP1 remotes that I wasn't familiar with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: