JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FTDI Cable shuts down Remotemaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckeays

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: FTDI Cable shuts down Remotemaster Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I purchased four FTDI USBtoTTL cables about a year ago. They were purchased from the same ebay vendor at the same time.

Three of them worked with remotemaster, one I just tried today actually shuts down remotemaster.

I jumpered TXD and RXD on the cable and checked in teraterm by typing any keys on my keyboard, the chars are echoed back to the screen even @ 115200 baud, so I know the cable works.

I also removed the usb connector covering and matched the pinout of a working cable to the non working cable. (sometimes they wire the RXD and TXD or the CTS & RTS backwards). The wiring is good. I even traced each wire in the cable from the connector to the circuit board on the USB side, wiring is good.

I am using the latest remotemaster with windows 7 x64.
RemoteMaster v2.09 build 8
java.version = "1.8.0_231"

Anyone ever see this problem?
I don't care if I have to throw the cable in the garbage, just curious to know the reason why this is happening or if there may be a simple solution.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this issue for a few years now. In my case, it's not the cable, rather RM's port scan that crashes RM. If I specify the comm port instead of using "auto", I can avoid the crash.

I assumed it was a Java thing specific to my hardware, so never reported it.
ckeays

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I've had this issue for a few years now. In my case, it's not the cable, rather RM's port scan that crashes RM. If I specify the comm port instead of using "auto", I can avoid the crash.

I assumed it was a Java thing specific to my hardware, so never reported it.

It worked. I have to specify the com port like you suggested.

The error only occurred on win7x64 and not on my older Windows XP computer. Must be the java version.

Thanks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost always interesting information in rmaster.err when something like that happens. Please upload to the diagnostics area.

ckeays wrote:

I purchased four FTDI USBtoTTL cables about a year ago. They were purchased from the same ebay vendor at the same time.

5 volts or 3.3 volts?
ckeays

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
There is almost always interesting information in rmaster.err when something like that happens. Please upload to the diagnostics area.
here it is:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25713
Barf wrote:
ckeays wrote:

5 volts or 3.3 volts?

I don't understand the question. I thought all of the data lines in USB are 3V. (never 5V)
There is no power connected to the remote from the cable, the remote uses 2 AA batteries. The remote is a URC-2125.
The wires that are connected to the remote are RTS, RXD, TXD, and GND.
The three other cables are working without errors. This is the only cable giving me trouble and it isn't a problem as long as the com port is selected and autodetect is off.
thanks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, nothing really interesting there. The last line says

Code:

Testing interface: JP1.X Serial

so I assume that the program crashed just after.

When a JNI library crashes Java (like here), Java normally writes a crash file somewhere. Can you find that file?

Quote:
Quote:

5 volts or 3.3 volts?

I don't understand the question. I thought all of the data lines in USB are 3V. (never 5V)

USB is USB, but the purpose on the chip/cable is to translate the USB world to an outside serial world, possibly with other signal levels. There are FTDI products with several different levels. The one to use for JP1 remotes is normally (?) 3.3 Volts.
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched and I cannot find any log files.
No big deal, I won't use this cable.

Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf,

Thanks for helping on this issue. It's pretty repeatable on my system. I'll give it a try in the next few days and post the logs if I can find them.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
When a JNI library crashes Java (like here), Java normally writes a crash file somewhere.

On Linux, this file is called hs_err_pid<pid>.log (where <pid> is the process number) and is written in the current directory. So probably there is something similar on Windows. Possibly in a hidden directory...

Article from Oracle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: