JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting back in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Getting back in Reply with quote

Hi fellas! I've been away far too long, and have forgotten most of what i knew, but it's time to get back in. I know to go to the beginner's pinned posts to re-acquaint myself with JP-ing, but have a few questions:

Here is a list of the remotes I've amassed over the years:
Radio Shack 15-1994 (x2)
RS 15-2117 with IR repeater (x3)
URC 8910 B02 with IR repeater
HTPro (URC 9811 B00) with IR repeater
URC 6131 B00 (x2)
URC 1056 B01 (x3)
URC 1056 B01-L (x3 - 2 silver and one black)
Cox (URC 7820 BP1) (x3)
URC 9960 BJ3
Acoustic Research ARRX18G (x2) and it's twin, an OFA URC 11-8603 R00 (I think they are also known as XSight Touch remotes)

I have a JP1.2/1.3 cable
https://i.imgur.com/YxDktmc.jpg

I have, apparently lost, or misplaced, or thrown away inadvertently, my original JP1 cable, so I think I may be unable to program a lot of these remotes so will be parting with them (see the marketplace section!)

Trying to decide where to focus my efforts, and I think it's down to the URC 1056s vs the XSight Touch.

Is the XSight Touch supported via direct USB connection? If so, i think that's the one I will focus on (re)learning and try to get it back up and running, but perhaps the 1056 is more versatile?

Requesting your recommendations/suggestions.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capn, welcome back. I forget whether your JP1.2/3 cable with work with modern remotes or not (ie, JP1.4, JP2, etc) but just FYI, you can buy an FTDI cable from China on ebay for under $4 shipped, which just needs the header changed for it to be a JP1.x cable which will work with the most recent remotes.

Furthermore, you can buy an adapter from DIY Gadgets for $10 plus $4 shipping, which will convert your JP1.2/3 cable and an FTDI cable into an old JP1 cable, so you could easily be working with your old JP1 remotes again.

See this thread for all the details:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

ps. I converted your image into a link because the image was too big.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back from me, too Very Happy . It is great to know you are still around. You were a fixture in the forums when I first joined it, and I really missed your contributions when you ceased to be active.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Is the XSight Touch supported via direct USB connection? If so, i think that's the one I will focus on (re)learning and try to get it back up and running, but perhaps the 1056 is more versatile?

Yes, the XSight Touch is supported via direct USB connection. It has a USB mini connector, not the later micro connector. Personally, although I spent a great deal of time writing the RMIR support for it, I don't actually like that remote. I find it very fiddly to use. It has enormous versatility but at the expense of user-friendliness, and some of the buttons are very small. I can't speak for the 1056 as although I have a 1056 B03, I've never tried using it "for real".

You might like to consider the OARUSB04G which is also supported through a USB connection, this time a USB micro one, and it also has an extender. I use the European equivalent as my main remote. I really like it, though I know there are others that do not. Out of the box it supports 4 devices but with the extender it supports 12.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am holding the opinion that n2 is better than other jp1 remotes.
When learn buttons on the original remote,
c2 divided then to 2: those on found match on physically.

and those cannot find match, we put then on lcd fucntion

That way we can learn all signals and labelled.

For example,page+, page-u are not on the c2 butons.
So we put them on the led buttons.

Also,it comes with a lcd screen, which not only let us press lcd buttons to send it, it tell you which remote/activity you are controlling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: