JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jumping Back Into JP1 and Have Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedydgon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Jumping Back Into JP1 and Have Questions Reply with quote

Just moved and found my old JP1 stuff (URC-8011 & MX-500 remotes, Parallel cable, printed out stuff from this forum, etc.) and remembered how much fun it was back in the day. I find it a fun combination of programming, electronics & interfaces and want to get back into it and have some questions.

I've read through a bunch of posts to catch up and think I have a few options. Looking for someone to confirm I am on the right track.

1) Buy new remote like OARUSB04G which comes with USB JP1 cable, download RMIR and I will be off and running. Is that basically all I need to do for this option? Is there another current JP1 remote suggested that handles more devices that comes with a cable?

2) Buy JP1 1 USB cable or JP1 1.2/1.3 cable and JP1 1.2/1.3 to JP1 1 adapter, use my URC-8011, download RMIR and I will be off and running.

The cables I see linked to buy look like they have a flat 6 pin end not the square\rectangle 6 pin end like my old parallel JP1 cable. Do I need to pin-out the cable if I go this route?

Is there an old JP1 1 USB cable already pinned that I can purchase? (Or already pinned JP1 1.2/1.3 cable and JP1 1.2/1.3 to JP1 1 adapter)

I hope these questions make sense. Thanks in advance for just reading this let alone responding.

David
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you have a URC-8011 remote and a JP1 parallel cable, right? I assume the URC-8011 was modified to have the EEPROM and pins added so you could program it with JP1, and do I also assume that you no longer have a PC with a parallel port?

You can't buy old fashioned JP1 "EEPROM" cables anymore, so to program the URC-8011, you would need an FTDI cable and a JP1 adapter.

The FTDI cables that I mentioned are not purpose-built for JP1, so they usually come either with 6 individual connectors or a flat 6-hole 1*6 connector. Therefore, you have to replace the connectors with a 6-hole 2*3 Dupont head.

If you're just programming the URC-8011 using a JP1 adapter, and you get an FTDI cable with 6 individual connectors, you could decide to just connect them manually without replacing them with a 2*3 connector.

Since you were last here, they've also come out with remotes that come with their own USB cable, and RMIR supports them, so those are certainly good options too.
speedydgon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains my confusion on the cables. I may go that route now that I understand it.

Do you have recommendations on new remotes ?

Thank you Rob.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedydgon wrote:
Do you have recommendations on new remotes ?

I will let others voice their opinions there as I haven't really used them much, my main remote is still a 15-1994, from 1999.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedydgon wrote:
1) Buy new remote like OARUSB04G which comes with USB JP1 cable, download RMIR and I will be off and running. Is that basically all I need to do for this option? Is there another current JP1 remote suggested that handles more devices that comes with a cable?

Yes, that is all you have to do with that option. Although the remote as purchased supports only 4 devices, there is an extender for the OARUSB04G that enables it to support 12 devices, as well as adding the usual ToadTog and so on that other extenders provide. I use the European version of this remote, the URC-6440, and really like it though I know not everyone does so. I'm probably biased as I wrote the extender Wink but I would suggest it is definitely worth looking at and it avoids the messy connector business with the currently available JP1.x cables.
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
speedydgon wrote:

Yes, that is all you have to do with that option. Although the remote as purchased supports only 4 devices, there is an extender for the OARUSB04G that enables it to support 12 devices, as well as adding the usual ToadTog and so on that other extenders provide. I use the European version of this remote, the URC-6440, and really like it though I know not everyone does so. I'm probably biased as I wrote the extender Wink but I would suggest it is definitely worth looking at and it avoids the messy connector business with the currently available JP1.x cables.

I second that. Mathdon has done a marvellous job. I have both the URC6440 bought in Britain but very hard to get hold of now, and the OARUSB04G, it's not too difficult to get from the USA and not too much to pay to get it over, probably still cheaper than the silly prices they charge in the UK, which I bought as backup.

I've got 7 devices on my URC6440, single presses on the device buttons for 4 of them, and double presses for 3. The ability to set a single or short press, and a double or long press, is very useful, for example, STOP key can double as an EJECT key for DVD or CD.

So I say go for it!
speedydgon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cable from China and the adapter coming. I will likely also get the OARUSB04G and extend it. So I guess i am taking both options. Thanks for clearing up some confusion and thank you all for the advice. Off to read up on Extenders...

David
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedydgon wrote:
Off to read up on Extenders...

Download the extender package for the OARUSB04G and read the manual it contains. It is very comprehensive and tells you everything you need to know. This extender is very different from others, so reading up generally about extenders will be of little help and quite possibly be misleading.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but either urc-6440 or oarusb04g has become scare to buy.
The only source cheaper I can find is ebay for 10 plus shipping 17 to belgium and something similar to shipped to hk. I assume that this is the current best option for buying an oarusb04g.

I failed to find any sources for urc-6440. I like it more just because of the white color.

Please provide other sources if you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: