JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GAP-500-1179-8?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulvaney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: GAP-500-1179-8? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am trying to build a new device for my RCA RTD300 HT. I read the JP1 for Beginners and JP1 Easy tutorials, downloaded all the tools, got a cable, and got started. Downloads and Uploads seem to work fine until I tried to build a new device.

When I learn keys on my Walmart OFA 8810w, IR shows three entries in the details of the Learned Signals tab for each learned key.

For example, the power button shows:

Protocol=GAP-50-1179-8?, OBC=21, MISC=15
Protocol=Proton,OBC=15,Hex=0F,EFC=58
Protocol=GAP-50-1179-8?, OBC=15, MISC=F

I didn't know what the GAP... entries on the learned keys meant, so when I build a new device in KeyMapper (v8.2) I used Proton as the protocol. Everything "seemed" to go well bringing it into IR (v5.0.0) and Uploading to remote, but none of the learned keys (I only did a few) seem to work.

I'm guessing it has to do with the multi-lined learned keys I am duplicating, but don't understand.

Any direction welcome. Thanks.
John
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see those GAP messages appear, it's a pretty good clue that DecodeIR, the program that works behind the scenes to decode your signals, doesn't recognize them.

Could you learn as many buttons as you can using your RCU810 and then post the memory dump in the Diagnosis Area. Then, if there are more buttons left, clear the remote and learn the rest of them and post that file. Learn as many functions to "sensible" buttons, then make a note of where you learned the rest (and post that info here).

Then, chances are very good that Jon Armstrong will come along and create a new protocol and upgrade for you, and if he doesn't get to it first, then maybe one of the rest of us will.

After you have posted the files, please post a link to them here to make it easy for us to find them. And PLEASE read the sticky post that explains how to post links to Yahoo files.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually a clean decode together with some GAP decodes means the clean decode is right and the GAP decodes are just the result of the decoder trying too hard to find all possible interpretations.

Maybe the Proton decodes are right and you (John) made some mistake in creating or testing the upgrade. But Proton is not a protocol for which I have massive confidence in my decode software. Rob is right that the best course is posting an eeprom image containing several different learned signals from your device. I'll try to examine it soon (and Jon usually beats me to it).
mulvaney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Thanks for the direction. I will do just what you suggest.

I don't mind doing the upgrade key by key myself, it seemed reasonably straightforward (providing I had a good protocol to use). If you or others (Jon) would build a protocol, that would be awesome.

I have some other things to play around with, because I have a suspicion that this may be a multi-device remote masquerading as a single integrated remote. It will be interesting to see if PLAY in VCR mode is the same as PLAY in DVD mode, and the difference is handled by the base unit (i.e. same IR sent), or whether the two PLAY keys are unrelated to each other on the remote (i.e. different IR sent) and the base unit is ready for any code at any time.

Thanks. I'll get to work learning all the keys over the next few days or so.

John
mulvaney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
In addition to learning a bunch of keys, I am going to try buiding an "upgrade" for one of my other remotes that will be easy to test (like my Replay remote). This way I can raise my confidence that I have figured out how to actually do an upgrade.

Thanks.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: