JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

where can I get an ftdi chip jp1.x cable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: where can I get an ftdi chip jp1.x cable? Reply with quote

May I know where I can get a ftdi chip jp1.x cable?
I ordered this but this seems to be a proliifc chip according to a thread I found on hifi-remote.

I also would like to know how one find out which chip his jp1/x cable is.
I ordered a jp1.x com port cable off diygadget a few years ago and one the other day. I don't know if it is a ftdi or prolific chip.

Thanks.

Last edited by chuliu on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our normal source is the chip_partner cable detailed below, but that seller is out of them at the moment. He has run out before and then re-listed them again later, so it's possible he will have more in the future.

I don't think we've found a reliable alternative source. If you're looking at other FTDI cables, be sure they have wires exposed for the following 4 items: RTS, GND, TXD and RXD
(The RTS line is not exposed in many of the cables on ebay). If a cable only has 4 wires, they are probably TXD, RXD, VCC and GND, with no RTS.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the following PL2303HXD cable on ebay which looks like it might work. It comes with a 1*6 plug, which would need to be replaced with a 2*3 plug, but it's only $3.46 shipped (from China).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362674416441
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I also would like to know how one find out which chip his jp1/x cable is.
I ordered a jp1.x com port cable off diygadget a few years ago and one the other day. I don't know if it is a ftdi or prolific chip.

If you have a cable and are using a Windows OS, open Device Manager and look under Ports. If I drop down the Ports list on my Win10 machine with my JP1.x cable plugged in, I see "USB Serial Port (COM4)" and if I double-click that to open it, under the General tab it says "Manufacturer: FTDI". Hope this helps.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would like to know by ftdi or prolific chip cable, do we mean the usb to com port cable, the jp1.x to com cable, or the usb to jp1.x cable? I used to have a jp1.x to usb cable from diygadget( I think). One of the four wires is broken and will not work any more.

I have also a com to jp1.2/3 cable and a com to usb cable to work together. I now see that it is a Aten branded usb to serial cable, and seems to use a pl2303 chip as I read its manual. It says to issue the command cp pl2303.c to a directory for install linux driver. I assume that it is a prolific chip based cable. I also assume that my jp1.x to com cable is good to use.

I think I need to get a ftdi chip usb to com cable.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your question. I mean a cable that you plug one end into the USB port of the computer and the other end to the 6 pins of the connector on the remote. That's the sort Rob is talking about, too, but with the cable he has found, it seems that the connector at the end for the remote will need to be replaced. The chip_partner cables we prefer when available have a separate connector at the end of each wire that can be plugged directly on to the pins in the remote.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I have one of these.
and a usb to com cable like this

They used to be able to work on my jp1.x remotes on windows xp or windows 7. I cannot get it to work on windows 10. I have been using newer remotes like urc-6640, or nevo c2. I would like to get my older remote working again.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the chip_partner cable for stock. Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so you're using a JP1.x Serial cable, plugged into a USB to Serial adapter, we were assuming you were using a JP1.x USB cable.

So now we know that, what is your question? It originally appeared that you wanted an FTDI USB cable, but now that's not so clear.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I need a working jp1.x to usb solution. Be it usb ftdi chip cable, or jp1.x to com and com to usb cable together. In the latter, should we not worry about ftdi or prolific chip issue? Or there is ftdi or prolific made usb to com cable we need to worry about?

I read on the thread "rmir 2.0.8 is released" that jp2,jp3 and so on need ftdi chip to work correctly. As it happened, I currently don't have a working jp1.x to usb cable and thus the question. Thanks.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some docs and threads on this forum, I now know more about jp1 to serial and jp1 to USB cable. But still a lot to learn. I guess for now my best bet is to wait for restock on the chip partner cable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one of the cables that I posted the link to, so when it gets here I can tell you if it works as a JP1 cable.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I mean I have one of these.
and a usb to com cable like this

They used to be able to work on my jp1.x remotes on windows xp or windows 7. I cannot get it to work on windows 10. I have been using newer remotes like urc-6640, or nevo c2. I would like to get my older remote working again.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the chip_partner cable for stock. Thanks.

Hi Chuliu,

I had this problem just last month. I wrote up these instructions on how I got my legacy hardware to work on Windows 10.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25588

Let me know if this helps.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky for your help.
I followed the steps in your doc but it still showed error code 10.
I further search youtube and found a link to a exe file called pl2303 code 10 fix.exe and I also tried to fix it by install the exe. However, it still doesn't work.

On their web site where I downloaded the exe file, it says that the fix is intended for "Vendor ID (VID_067B) and Product ID (PID_2303)" but my adapter is of a different vendor id ( VID 0557 and PID 2008). I think my cable is of PL2303 chip but was made by Aten. Thus, it cannot work with prolific driver.

I tried to download driver from the web site of ATEN, and while windows 10 detects it as a compatible driver, when installed, it still shows error code 10. I think I am out of luck this time. Maybe I will wait for either Rob to confirm if the cable he ordered works or not, or wait for chip_partner to restock their cables. Thanks to all that helped.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this driver. It's worked for me on other Prolific devices:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25608

Uninstall other drivers first.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uninstalled all other drivers and install this one. No luck.
Maybe it is worth while for me to buy a newer chip pl2303hxd or pl2303ta usb to serial adapter that works on windows 10. How about this idea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: