JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Delcom JP1 USB installation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Delcom JP1 USB installation Reply with quote

HELP!!!! My computer crashed extremeley hard.

I am now trying to get my cables up and running on a Windows 10 machine, and for the life of me I don't remember how to install the drivers.

MY JP1 cables, one is a USB and I wrote the work DELCOM on it,

This is extremely urgent because just before I left 6 months ago, I updated my remotes from RMIR, and it happened to be the version that ate extenders for breakfast. The extender is corrupt.

I've set up a NEVO but its just not cutting .

I swore I'd never get so out of it that I had to go through this learning curve again, but the best laid plans...

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay when to Tools downloaded the Delcom Driver and that doesn't work. It gets an error.

I have gone through the various threads looking for a new version that is stored elsewhere but couldn't find it.

I then went on to try to update my JP1.2 remote, as I got a new cable box. My JP1.2 cable is also old. Its a serial device with a USB adapter.

I have one of the newer cables that I made, but I can't find it! I never liked relying on the FTD cable because they were only good for a few hundred uploads and then they'd quit, but this cable doesn't work with Windows 10 either.

What are my options at this point.

My Windows 7 computer is toast. They were able to get 29,288 files from my JP1 folder, but it will not boot.

The programs will not run, and my hardware does not seem to be compatible.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could offer some good advice Vicky, but I'm usually in the same boat when I try to re-install drivers, etc. I am using a Win10 laptop at the moment because my Win7 laptop failed, but I haven't tried connecting any JP1 cables to it yet.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate when that happens.

I think you'll find the drivers you need if you search the file section for WinUSB. Make sure you get the appropriate version, probably 64-bit.

I hear you regarding the FTDI cable, but it's easier than getting Delcom to work in the 21st century. I'd retire the Delcom cable and just use a JP1.x to EEPROM adapter:
https://www.diygadget.com/remote-control-accessories/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter

I've also started storing all my remote files in the cloud so I'm crash-proof and can access them on any device.

If you're saying Remote Master won't run, that's probably because you haven't installed the JRE. So just get the latest java runtime and install that, then re-run the remote master setup vbs.

If the cable isn't working with the Nevo, you have to do the registry edit of the enhanced power management key when prompted.

So post back after you install java, and we'll tackle one issue at a time.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,
Follow the advice the next to last post in an earlier thread and also ponder the question posed in the last post. Very Happy
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yes it be stuck somewhere! Doh!

Now that I've found it, I can't find the instructions to follow.

I followed the link to the WIN SDK package.
looked all over and searched for the specific phrase

Installing WinUSB by specifying the system-provided device class

I assume that I need to find 7 steps, with the 7th step being to register edit; but I can't find that even when I search for this phrase.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
It looks like Microsoft has redone the pages. A Google search lead me to this link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/winusb-installation It at least has seven steps.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I have only computers which run 64 bit Windows 10. However, I was able to use both RMIR and IR to download and upload to a URC8011 remote using a Delcom USB cable. Here's how:

First, I didn't use the WinUSB driver available in the file section. That was developed just short of 7 years ago, and Microsoft has made some progress since then. In fact, if I understand the situation correctly, our WinUSB drivers shouldn't install on 64 bit Win 8 or 10--not for technical reasons, but because the installation package isn't signed. Instead, with Win8 or 10 it is possible to install manually. DIFFERENT LINK are reasonably clear, but do assume a high level of Windows literacy. I followed the procedure in the section "Installing WinUSB by specifying the system-provided device class", using the GUID {cafa8e93-7c32-4c27-b088-d8c36aaf4ebf}. The system presented me with a scare message at Step 7 about possibly making the OS unstable, but I ignored that. I don't know if it is necessary to use that particular GUID, but it is the one we used with the old WinUSB drivers, and maybe our software looks for it. I don't remember.

What I'm seeing in the new link is not clear to me. I can follow instructions if I can understand them butg my Windows literacy is not high enough to interpret what I'm seeing here.

You talked about not using the WINUSB driver we have in the file section, but the instructions seem to indicate I need to find the driver on my hard drive.

Quote:
Installing WinUSB by specifying the system-provided device class

When you connect your device, you might notice that Windows loads Winusb.sys automatically (if the IHV has defined the device as a WinUSB Device). Otherwise follow these instructions to load the driver:

Plug in your device to the host system.
Open Device Manager and locate the device.
Right-click the device and select Update driver software... from the context menu.
In the wizard, select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
From the list of device classes, select Universal Serial Bus devices.
The wizard displays WinUsb Device. Select it to load the driver.

If Universal Serial Bus devices does not appear in the list of device classes, then you need to install the driver by using a custom INF. The preceding procedure does not add a device interface GUID for an app (UWP app or Windows desktop app) to access the device. You must add the GUID manually by following this procedure.

Load the driver as described in the preceding procedure.

Generate a device interface GUID for your device, by using a tool such as guidgen.exe.

Find the registry key for the device under this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\<VID_vvvv&PID_pppp>

Under the Device Parameters key, add a String registry entry named DeviceInterfaceGUID or a Multi-String entry named DeviceInterfaceGUIDs. Set the value to the GUID you generated in step 2.

Disconnect the device from the system and reconnect it to the same physical port. Note If you change the physical port then you must repeat steps 1 through 4.

I'm not sure where to get guigen.exe as its not a file on my computer.

My Windows skills are far below what it takes to get this to work, but I'm willing to give this a try. The NEVO is not cutting it. All that button pushing is beyond by husband/s capability, and I'm finding myself watching infomercials because its too hard to change sources.

I need to get my 8811 back in running order.

I'd really like to get my old cables running.

The I've already invested over $100 in the new JP1.2 cables, but everytime they fail I have the same sick feeling I have right now, and the old ones last forever.

I don't know how to get my Win 7 computer up and running. I have the original 7 DVD backup of the system directory, but don't even know how to put that back on a new hard drive. The drive is failing so bad that it was on the computer bench for 3 days transferring files the user directory and it crapped out before it got to the end.

I'm willing to throw money at this, don't get me wrong, but I want reliability. I've been looking for my adpater that I bought with my third ftd cable. I don't like feeling helpless.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the old PC, was it a hard drive failure? If so, do you have a new hard drive and a Win7 install disc? If so, you should be able to start over with a new install of Windows 7, and then re-install Java and all the JP1 software/drivers.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old drive failed catostrophically. On april 13th when I pressed Print on Turbotax, and came back with NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND.

Problem with reinstalling Windows is that Dell didn't include any documentation nor restore disk, and NO STICKER on the bottom of the computer with the license number. I never noticed it until the whole computer failed or I would have dug it out using Belarc

EDIT : Scratch that, dell put the sticker in the battery compartment. Wink

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell is pretty good about providing drivers on their web site though, so if you get the Service Tag from a sticker somewhere on the unit, that will tell Dell exactly which drivers you need. When you re-install Windows from scratch on a laptop, it looks like crap when it first runs as it's using generic drivers, but once you load all the right drivers from the Support page, you should be good to go.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would all our tools run a Vista laptop? Or will RMIR only run on a computer that runs on a later version of Java?

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista and Java don't have anything to do with each other, as far as I know, so I believe you can install the latest Java on Vista.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are lots of Java versions that may or may not be compatible with Vista. Also need to know if you're 32 or 64 bit. As far as I know, even if you have to install a fairly old java version, RM should still be backward compatible. Lots of folks are still running RM on XP (which pre-dates Vista) without issue. I think I still have a VM of XP somewhere with RM on it that still works fine.

Speaking of VM's, have you considered just running a VM of XP or Vista or whatever on your Win 10 machine? I think Oracle has a free VM platform, but I forget the name. VMWare Player is also still free as far as I know.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am vaguley familiar with the term VM Virtual Machine, but was under the impression you needed Windows Pro to run it.

I ordered a new hard drive for my dead computer and ordered a replacement laptop for my husbands dreadfully slow half-dead, under powered Windows 7 machine.

It appears Vista supports version 7 and 8 of Java, and RMIR needs 7 or greater to run.

Now I have some options for handling my antique interfaces that is mobile enough that I can drag it back and forth to FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: