JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to disable IR on XSight / ARRX18G?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbrux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There is an IR repeater that works by replacing one of the batteries in the remote.

https://www.amazon.com/d/B000C1Z0HA

Thanks, this could be an alternative way to get RF out of a non-RF-capable successor remote, but I would still be stuck with finding a way to block the IR. Since this method presumably detects the current draw of the IR diodes, I couldn't just disconnect them. Did you have an alternative remote in mind that would be more readily serviceable and takes AAA batteries?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
On URC made remotes when the IR goes out, so does the RF. Many of water-proof mxw920 have problem with IR going bad, rf won't work either. It tells you the IR is faulty.

So how about replacing the IR LED(s) with a "null-IR diode", like 1N4148 for example. Possibly two in series, since the IR LEDs has a somewhat higher forward voltage drop. Or possibly just a resistor will do. Worth a try.

The Robman wrote:
There is an IR repeater that works by replacing one of the batteries in the remote.

The drawback is that it severely impacts the battery performance. Ca only be used with AA or AAA batteries.

BTW, I once located the patent for the "flying saucer" type of IR -> RF translator. Turned out that it was absolutely void of any useful information on how the IR was detected. How could that patent pass?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsbrux wrote:
The Robman wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/d/B000C1Z0HA

Thanks, this could be an alternative way to get RF out of a non-RF-capable successor remote, but I would still be stuck with finding a way to block the IR. Since this method presumably detects the current draw of the IR diodes, I couldn't just disconnect them. Did you have an alternative remote in mind that would be more readily serviceable and takes AAA batteries?

I would assume that is true.
rsbrux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

I finally took the plunge and disassembled my only remaining working unit, my original XSight Touch (URC8603). In doing so I found out why I didn't get an answer to the question about which side of the shell the tabs are on: the answer is, "it depends". The "front" (where the emitters are) 60% of the shell has the tabs on the top (keyboard and display) side, whereas the "rear" (where the learning receiver is) 40% has them on the underside (the side with the battery compartment). Since I haven't found detailed disassembly instructions anywhere, I would be happy to provide them in a wiki article here, if "the powers that be" will grant me the authority Wink
To "cut to the chase", instead of adopting one of the many interesting ideas submitted here, I simply enclosed the two emitter diodes in heat-shrink tubing. This was simpler than replacing them with (some combination of) non-emitting diodes, and seems to work quite well. It is also easily reversible. I am now the proud owner of an RF-only XSight Touch!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a Wiki account for you, you should get an email at the account that you use for JP1. Do you have prior experience editing a Wiki page?
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wiki login. I'm no crack, but I do have some experience with wiki pages. I'll try not to mess it up Wink
rsbrux

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to figure out the formatting, but the promised instructions are now posted here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Xsight_Disassembly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: