JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP2 Pinout?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: JP2 Pinout? Reply with quote

Hello, I have a comast JP2 Remote, and a FTDI usb serial adapter. I couldn't find any information about the JP2 connector on my remote so I can reprogram it. Does anyone know the JP2 pinout or have a link the JP2 pinout? Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=108684#108684
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! that was very help full. Do I set my adapter to the 3.3v or 5v selector? And are all Jp1 and later Cables the same? Or is there any difference? Just curious if I can use the same cable to program different versions of remotes.

[/img]
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 3.3V. If you have to fiddle with the selector, sounds like you didn't get our recommended interface and are doing things the hard way.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_Interfaces

Short answer is current JP1.3 interface generally works on just about everything except JP1 EEPROM and possibly JP1.1. But you can buy an adapter that connects to a JP1.3 interface that makes it work with JP1 EEPROM. Unless your remotes are more than 17 years old, you probably don't have JP1 EEPROM ones.
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info!

The FDTI adapter I bought from ebay was only $4 and shipped from US and works great, the only difficult part was finding the pinout to connect the corresponding pins.
After using the pinout you provided me it didn't work. And doing the button test I can confirm it is indeed a JP2 Remote.
I then took the remote apart and probed around at the pins for a while and concluded it is a completely different pinout than JP2. It goes like this:

1. NC
2. RST
3. GND
4. TXD
5. NC
6. RXD

After connecting it this way I was able to download and upload firmware to the remote. Is there somewhere I should post the pinout to help others?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. That's actually exactly the same as my pinount as far as the signals go. Sounds like the wire colors may be different on your cable. Can you post a link to the ebay item? Then we'll get the info moved to the right place.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread that folks normally use to get the pinout for a chip_partner cable:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

and as you can see, the pinout does match yours (of course, the colors may be different):

pin - color - type
1 - (empty):VDD
2 - Yellow:RTS
3 - Black:GND
4 - Green:TXD
5 - (empty)
6 - White:RXD
Blue:CTS (not connected)
Red:5V (not connected)
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, you guys are right, my mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-3-3V-5-5V-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter-For-Arduino-Mini-Port-N137/382561156127?hash=item59126bfc1f:g:fEoAAOSwUKhblcB1

This is the adapter I bought its now being sold from a different seller, as you can see there is no colored wires. I was going off the pinout at the top of the page from the link mdavej sent me.

Wire Number \ USE \ OLD COLOR \ NEW COLOR

[1] Ground \ Black \ BLACK

[2] CTS \ Brown \ BLUE (Not connected)

[3] VCC \ Red \ RED (Not connected) 5V

[4] TXD \ Orange \ GREEN

[5] RXD \ Yellow \ WHITE

[6] RTS \ Green \ YELLOW

What is this pinout for anyways? JP1?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a gigantic thread with many different interfaces. You'll just have to trace back through the quoted posts to find the matching interface if you're interested. From a quick glance, it's not an interface I would ever recommend. I linked the relevant post directly to avoid confusion. Rob's link is even better. I had totally forgotten I wrote that post.

No offense, but I wouldn't recommend the interface you bought either. The chip partner cable works out of the box with no guesswork and has no exposed circuitry. Plus it's easy to convert to a 6 pin connector.
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a super helpful forum, I greatly appreciate it!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Rob's link is even better. I had totally forgotten I wrote that post.

While you did make the original post with a link to the ebay listing, I've been adding to it over the years, with stuff like the pinout, etc.

mdavej wrote:
No offense, but I wouldn't recommend the interface you bought either. The chip partner cable works out of the box with no guesswork and has no exposed circuitry. Plus it's easy to convert to a 6 pin connector.

Only problem is, the chip_partner cable goes off sale every so often, like it is right now. So it's good to know that adapters like this work, if needed.
turbo.blue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For being a crude little serial programmer its got many pins for different configurations, and can program other devices besides remotes as well. Arduino, etc. I was thinking of putting a large size piece of heatshrink over it to seal it up, Ive done it before with an USBASP Programmer and it works well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: