JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where to find source code for "ExtInstall.jar"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Reimer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Where to find source code for "ExtInstall.jar" Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to compile "RemoteMaster" from source.

While verifying every part of the source code, I came over "ExtInstall.jar".

I wasn't able to find the source code for this file.

Can someone please point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
M-Reimer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really no-one who knows where the source code for this file is hidden?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the source code of ExtInstall.jar in order to compile or modify RemoteMaster, any more than you need the source code of any other jar file in the lib directory. What are you trying to achieve?
M-Reimer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan was to get basic understanding how the software works. I'm developer myself.

If "RemoteMaster" really is "open source", then I thought that sourcecode for every part should be "somewhere".

Is this one here up-to-date?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9275

I'm currently writing a build script to create a proper package for my distribution and in fact I decided to rebuild two files in the "lib" directory as they contain binary parts. I preferred to rebuild them with the compiler settings common on my distribution.

BTW: Where to send patches to? I've found at least two bugs when running on Linux and already have a patch ready for this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, ExtInstall was written by someone else, so we might not have the source. As others have said, you don't need to understand that installer in order to understand RMIR, so what is it that you're really trying to do?
M-Reimer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary goal is to get RemoteMaster properly built as Arch Linux package. To do this, I have to write a so-called "PKGBUILD" which does the building and finally the packaging including properly registering the new application so a new application icon gets added to the applications list.

Usually it is not recommended to just do "repackaging". If I really do the work to write a proper "build script", then this can also really use JDK to build the files and not just to repackage them. This also allows to recompile binaries. So while you currently don't have all your files for the ARM platform, my build script could create them if needed.

That's why I was interested in the source code for every bit.

On the other hand it is also a bit of a question about trust. Is it really possible to review every single part? Maybe currently not. But I'll try if the source for "ExtInstall", that I found in the downloads section, actually builds into a library that works together with RemoteMaster.

While trying to create a package and using RemoteMaster for several days now (This is really great software! Thank you very much for creating it! It really makes these cheap remotes much more fun to use!) I already found a few bugs and did fixes for them. In fact there are still two bugs left where I want to create fixes this weekend.

Currently my patches are part of my build script, which is OK for me and (as soon as I publish my PKGBUILD) also for all other Arch users. But I would prefer to somehow give the fixes back, so I'm still interested in the "proper way" to send in patches. As far as I know Sourceforge doesn't offer "Pull requests", right?

PKGBUILD's also have a variable to put the license in. I have set this to "unknown", so far as I couldn't find any information about which license you put your code under. If I remember correctly, you use at least one library which requires the software, using it, to be GPL licensed. So is GPL the right license, then? Which version? GPL2 or GPL3?

Sorry for all the questions. As far as I see, I'm the first one who is interested in creating a RemoteMaster software package and as some of the bugs, that I found, only happen on the Linux platform, I think you don't have that much Linux users either.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the bugs that you have found, my advice would be to list them in a separate post where they can be reviewed and incorporated into RMIR.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the bugs specific to Linux platforms? I use RMIR in ubuntu and it's working OK. Aren't most bugs likely to be Java-related or cross-platform?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: