JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I don't understand either.

You can change the signature of a remote. Extenders change the signature. But in an unextended remote, this is a bad idea. You'll set bits that shouldn't be set and write to memory that shouldn't be written to, causing all kinds of unpredictable behavior.

The way it needs to work is, out of the box, download from the clean remote to discover the real signature, and build on that initial download.

So do we know with any confidence what the actual signature of each of your remotes really is?
bevhoward

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I attempted to upload an rmir file a week or so ago, I had selected the "non4000" version and rmir objected and notified me. A day or so later, Rob pointed me to the notification on the top of the rmir window.

I selected the "4000" version and rmir was happy and rmir subsequently uploaded a large number of edits to both OARUSB04G remotes with no problems...

...until today when I got a "write error" on one of the remotes and assumed that it was bricked and you pointed me to the settings.bin download.

I have some older downloads somewhere where I saved the manual setups, so, will check those when I find them.

Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beverly, are you still creating your .RMIR files from scratch in RMIR, rather than downloading from the remote and building upon the downloaded data?

As previously discussed, when you download from the remote, RMIR gets the real signature and knows exactly which remote you have. Therefore, you'll never have to "select" the right remote. Even when you add an upgrade from an RMDU file, RMIR will change the selected remote to your remote.

If you think you may have loaded an RMIR file previously which had the wrong signature, I would recommend doing a 981 master reset, which should reset the signatures to their correct values, then do a fresh download using RMIR and build up the new files based on the downloaded data.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob

You resolved those issues and understandings last week.

In this case one of my OARUSB94G 4000s failed. On mdavej's suggestion, I downloaded and copied the settings.bin from the files section copied it to the remote and the remote was functional.

...BUT it's signature had changed from the 4000 version to the non4000 version

...which RMIR detected and alerted me to the change.

...I confirmed using RAW DATA uploaded from the reset remote that the remote's signature had changed from 257604 to 257601

...I then copied the settings.bin file from the second remote and copied that to the remote who's signature had changed, executed a 981 reset and that remote has been functional since then.

Beverly
yaworski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember, that settings.bin file doesn't just contain user settings. It also contains a large part of the firmware itself. It's used by the simpleset.com site to also upgrade the firmware (the site can generate a file containing newest firmware). This is also why installing the extender is so easy with these remotes (you can treat the extender as an alternative firmware version).

That's why the signature can change just by changing the settings.bin file, because the signature actually is IN the settings.bin.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's why the signature can change just by changing the settings.bin file

That I understand. In this case the remote was dead after a "write error" during an upload and unusable by me.

Based on a forum post, I downloaded the settings.bin file from the forum as suggested and that brought the remote back to life...

...however, it brought the remote back as a different remote than it was when it died.

Thats when I copied the settings.bin from an _identical_ remote and copied that to the previously dead remote.

The next time one of these identical remotes dies, I will simply copy that file (which I have saved) since I won't have to go through the above discovery steps.

Thanks for the response,
Beverly Howard
yaworski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't use extender for the remote, then you can always download a clean settings.bin file directly from the simpleset.com. That way you can be sure that you'll get the latest official firmware version for the remote.
If you go to the simpleset.com, there's a Restore Remote link below the video. Just select your region and remote model and you'll download a Settings.bin file.

Please be aware that if you want to use the extender for this remote, you can't use settings.bin file from the simpleset.com site, as it'll remove the extender.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rob wrote; Here's a link to your file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25495
Rob,

As noted in another thread, I found an error in this file.

The fix was simple... change the "OK" function's OBC from 67 to 68
Quote:
Rob wrote; ...which in this case is "Vizio M55-F0 TV", so I have renamed the entry for you.
However, I don't know how to update the file since you indicated that you made some changes including renaming the file.

When I downloaded from the above link, the file had my original (incorrect) name, so, I stopped at that point assuming that I had the wrong copy.

Should I correct, rename and reupload this file as an "edit"?
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was, I re-named the JP1 entry for the file (ie, what a user would search for, and what they see when they look in the folder). I didn't rename the physical file itself.

Feel free to update your file and re-load it, and re-name the physical file if you like.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Feel free to update your file and re-load it, and re-name the physical file if you like.

Thanks... will do.

If renamed, will the original file be deleted?

Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original file will be replaced. The URL for the file won't change, and the JP1 name for the file won't change (unless you change it) but the name of the physical file when downloaded will reflect the new name.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... exactly what I needed to know.

Beverly
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked these questions before, but I should be in a better place to understand the answers now.

On the OARUSB04G remotes;

1. What do the buttons marked with "*" indicate?

2. On the remote layout image there are buttons shown _below_ the image of the remote. These buttons show the "*" buttons when they are <mouseovered> but no indication how they are implemented or accessed.

3. "button6e" seems to be special. It is highlighted in in the buttons below the remote picture, and it has no "*"

4. The "arrow" button (far lower right) seems to be in the same category?

Thanks in advance. Any clues would be appreciated.

Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've numbered your questions to make answering easier.

1. The * indicates that this button is not part of the built-in button map, so if you program something to this button, RMIR will create a keymove on your behalf to program it.

2. These are any "buttons" that are part of the built-in button map for which there is no physical button on the remote. Why would you want these? They might be useful for functions where you don't need a physical button but want to include in macros. If that's not useful to you, just ignore them.

3. Button6e is an example of the above.

4. The arrow button (not to be confused with the up/down/left/right arrow buttons) is included in a button group (group #4) which does not appear to be accessible, according to the RDF at least, but can be programmed using keymoves.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... mystery solved.

Beverly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: