JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Repairing Bad Buttons on A Xsight Touch or Nevo C3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nohjy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Repairing Bad Buttons on A Xsight Touch or Nevo C3 Reply with quote

Has anyone invested the time to learn to fix one of these remotes? They are becoming increasingly hard to find and I am down to two that do not have any button issues. These things simply do not last. I want to repair tge 4 that have developed an issue, but I am not handy. These are still the best remotes out there. Has anyone figured out how to fix them?
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really hard to open. You'll probably break multiple latches on the sides and you may break the case itself.

I've had one Nevo C2 which dropped on the floor and the case broke in two where the battery compartment starts, which caused the remote to loose the rigidity around the numeric keypad. As I've also bought a C3, I've decided to open the C2. I've tried very hard not to break it more than it already has been, but wasn't able to do so and the case broke in multiple places (not only the latches but the case itself chipped away where the latches where). And I've been using plastic tools made specifically for disassembling.

Here are some photos of the PCB on the keyboard side: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/utv8tgkr0hha4xx/AAAfG95X3gHIJlwLnY3sDdF1a?dl=0
Bear in mind that it's from a C2, so most likely the display assembly is more complicated because of the touch sensing layer. There may be additional ribbon cables between the PCB and the display or even the top cover.

The display is mounted on the clear plastic part, which probably acts as an additional light guide for the backlight. The display ribbon is really short, but unplugging it is not that hard (uses ZIF socket). Putting it back into the socket is a little harder task, but it's doable.
The keyboard itself uses a metal dome tactile switch. All the switches are under the white layer, which is glued to the PCB. Removing it would probably destroy it too. To replace a single tactile dome you could really carefully (to not cut into the PCB which would destroy the traces) cut the white layer around the dome which would allow you to replace it (or maybe just clean it). Then you'd need to glue it back to the PCB using some tape. Of course it all depends on whether the dome is held down only by the white layer. It could also be soldered onto the PCB, which would make it even harder to replace.

It's really strange to me that you've experienced this issue in multiple remotes already. The tactile domes used in the remote look really good to me and should be quite sturdy. There's almost no way that some dirt or liquid could get under the domes, because the white layer covers them all (well, almost, there's a small round hole on the edge of each dome).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm butting in here. It seems like they all rattle, because that small plastic tab that holds the battery cover in place breaks off. I wonder if its the plastic tab getting caught under the button cover that makes these remotes fail.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, this is not what rattles :). It's the tilt sensor. It uses a metal tube with small metal ball inside. When you move the remote, the ball bounces around inside the tube and shorts the electrodes inside.
It looks like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/173
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I’ve been shaking mine and holding the vacuum up to the holes in the case tring to suck the debri out!!! Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different issue with my C3. It's slightly annoying. When the backlight and display turn off, the remote's speaker generates a constant hiss. It goes away the moment the backlight turns on. I've tried disabling RF, Tilt, etc. I have touch sounds turned off, but I've also tried with them turned on. Nothing changes.

I don't know if my unit is somehow defective or is it a normal behaviour for this model. I don't remember ever hearing it on C2. Other than that the remote works great.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
They are really hard to open. You'll probably break multiple latches on the sides and you may break the case itself.

This is my experience as well.

Quote:
The keyboard itself uses a metal dome tactile switch. All the switches are under the white layer, which is glued to the PCB. Removing it would probably destroy it too. To replace a single tactile dome you could really carefully (to not cut into the PCB which would destroy the traces) cut the white layer around the dome which would allow you to replace it (or maybe just clean it). Then you'd need to glue it back to the PCB using some tape. Of course it all depends on whether the dome is held down only by the white layer. It could also be soldered onto the PCB, which would make it even harder to replace.
I have cut the domes off other remotes and added conductive material to the bottom of the button, essentially converting it to a button sheet type of contact. This doesn't work very well and doesn't last. Actually replacing individual domes is not practical, even if it is theoretically possible.

Quote:
It's really strange to me that you've experienced this issue in multiple remotes already. The tactile domes used in the remote look really good to me and should be quite sturdy.
They must be wearing out somehow. I've also experienced this on many Xsights as well as many Harmonys with the same type of dome contacts.

I've read that since lead-free materials are now the norm that these bendy parts are no longer as flexible or durable as they used to be.

Bottom line is I've tried my darndest and failed to fix these things. There's really no way to fix them.
dnick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefully pull back the white layer just enough to reach the up dome. Using a Q-tip with most of the
cotton removed from it, clean both under the dome and the pcb with alcohol. Wait a bit for the
alcohol to evaporate and stick the white layer back.

While you're at it inspect the other nearby domes to see if any need cleaning.

Good luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: