JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two Rokus, Same Room, Same TV?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim-W

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Two Rokus, Same Room, Same TV? Reply with quote

This may sound crazy but I have my reasons... I want to independently control two Rokus connected to the same TV with the same JP1 remote.

For example, two people work different shifts each have their own Roku with different (paid)apps linked to two different Roku.com accounts, and sometimes one Roku goes with it's owner on business trips.

I could replace one Roku with a Fire TV, Xbox, Shield or Android TV box but I really don't want to spend the money and I really don't want any of those devices. And... we don't want to use the Roku remotes.

I use an IR extender so one idea was a remote controlled IR switch/relay (DPDT) to swap IR emitters.
Press one device button and it switches to Emitter 1 / Roku 1, another device button switches to Emitter 2 / Roku 2.

I wish there was a Flirc type device for Roku.

Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Jim
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Roku's own remote is RF and paired with the unit. Cover the IR receiver on the secondary unit, and all should be well, shouldn't it?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Jim-W

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I believe the Roku's own remote is RF and paired with the unit. Cover the IR receiver on the secondary unit, and all should be well, shouldn't it?

Quote:
And... we don't want to use the Roku remotes.

That's what we are doing now but we don't want to use the Roku remotes, trying to unify everything to our JP1 remotes.

Thanks
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be done with jp1 remote, you'll need an addressable remote. What are your models of Roku? Newer roku remotes have volume keys on them, so you wouldn't need two remotes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume these are stand-alone HDMI/USB stick Roku devices, right? (like this) (My Roku is built into my TV, so I don't use them). I believe these sticks have a USB cable that powers them, so one option would be to use X10 (or similar) to control which USB is powered on. Do you have power adapters for them, or do you normally just plug them into a USB slot on the TV?

Alternatively, and perhaps more simply, I see that, even though there isn't a POWER button on the Roku remote, there is one in Dave's Roku master file, so if you ensure that one stick is "on" and the other is "off", then you could use the POWER button to toggle between them.
Jim-W

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions but since we are using an IR extender I thought, "what about enabling / disabling the IR emitters with an IR controlled relay?".

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDD4UN6, project box and some jacks which works great but it only has one code so I had to use ToadTog.

Now I ordered this (from China) as it has discrete buttons, one for each Roku https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ME4AAOSwFAtb4kM9/s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Again

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: