JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR download - no remotes found
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed an order for another Chip Partner cable. I will re-check the driver installation on the other computer and see if there are any other computers I can try it on.

Is there anything we could add to RMIR or JP12Serial to aid in the diagnostics? I mean, the cable is responding in that the lights are flashing. I've checked the batteries and they're all new and showing at least 85% charge. This isn't like the old days of JP1 where sometimes they worked better with lower charged batteries?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed everything on a 3rd computer and was pleased to see that it worked, so I was able to program the 2 new URC-2025 remotes that I had bought, then I tested my other cable and it didn't work, then when I tried the first cable again, it had also stopped working again.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: RMIR download stopped working Reply with quote

Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose.
I suspect a bad wire connection but it could also be chip failure
Most likely a loose wire or one tiny strand shorting across another
Check solder connection of the wires with a magnifying glass
And look for any shorts. If not, reheating solder joints is one idea
Also to diagnose
Try putting cables in freezer for 1/2 hour and see if they work after that.
Heat when in use can cause intermittent problems
If work after freezer 1st again check wire connections
and also reheat any solder connections you are capable of reheating since they are very tiny you might not be able to
I notice my cable's heat up when plugged in for a while so I always unplug from USB
after every upload/download
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As HamburgerHelper1 suggests, it is looking like an intermittent issue with your cables. It is difficult to see how using one cable could prevent another from working, other than that the act of unplugging and replugging the first cable disturbed a poor connection, or something similar.

I can't see what sort of diagnostics in RMIR or jp12serial would help. Certainly not RMIR, as that already tells us that the issue is jp12serial not opening the interface. It is possible to have a diagnostic output from jp12serial, I do that when testing changes to it though I remove them before release, but it is to look for software bugs. I can't see how it would help in your case. I think now it is best to wait till you have a brand new cable to try, but if you really want it, I do have a development version of jp12serial v0.22 with the debugging output I used in testing. I don't think it will help, though.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought I might have found the answer when I found this post which gave a different pin configuration than the one I had been using with my URC-2025 remotes, but unfortunately I still get "no remotes" with the new config.

I had been using:
1 - empty
2 - yellow
3 - black
4 - green
5 - white

I just changed it to:
1 - yellow
2 - empty
3 - black
4 - green
5 - white
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: RMIR download - no remotes found Reply with quote

But as you stated earlier
I installed everything on a 3rd computer and was pleased to see that it worked, so I was able to program the 2 new URC-2025 remotes that I had bought, then I tested my other cable and it didn't work, then when I tried the first cable again, it had also stopped working again.

So it worked on a third computer so your wiring was correct.
I still suspect an intermittent problem with the cable.. Or usb
If you have a usb extension cable.Plug the FTDI cable into it and the extention into the computer, I have one intermittent cable that apparently the usb connection is bad
Since switching to using a usb extention i have never had the problem again
Just an idea for you to try
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the old thread you'll see that Inolin used the wiring config that I was using and it worked until it didn't, and Graham didn't understand why it ever worked, then he wrote that he was using the new config that I posted and that it always worked, hence me giving it a try.

I'm not eager to tear apart my chip_partner cables looking for a short because I don't believe that is the culprit.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cable is the culprit, likely just at the solder connections for the incoming wires. My c_p cable popped open easily (too many accidental knocks). Had to glue it back together to get it to stay. I haven't jumped in until now because I couldn't think of any cause except the cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: