JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation on a IPTV box to work with Slingbox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karaokecab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Recommendation on a IPTV box to work with Slingbox Reply with quote

I'm in need of a new android box that will work with Slingbox. I realize that I could just go buy one and come here to try to get support for one, but that would make me a prick. lol As we learned in the military, planning preparation prevents piss poor performance.

If any one has one that they can recommend, hopefully one that's got decent specs with android 7.1 , that already has a custom remote PL bin file that they can point out, I'd be grateful. I'd like to keep price under $90. Like the T95 pro with 3GB/32GB or the S10 Plus R-TV Box 4GB ddr3/32GB storage (with wireless charging) for just under $100.

Basically, I just need this device to stream the iptv app I use and kodi with my 13TB's of NAS storage..So my Slingbox can control for my portable android box to stream with in my taxi (verizon's bandwidth is too up and down to use a iptv service with a static bit-rate which is why I have used the slingbox devices since 2007)
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Amazon's Fire TV Box (not stick). It is likely heavily subsidized by Amazon, and is thus fairly cheap, even cheaper if you wait for a "prime day" or such. It can "side load" Kodi, which works fine; you do not need to use it with Amazon's offerings. It runs Amazon's modified Android.

Not sure if it fulfills all of your requirements, of if there is a better alternative.
karaokecab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Have a look at Amazon's Fire TV Box (not stick). It is likely heavily subsidized by Amazon, and is thus fairly cheap, even cheaper if you wait for a "prime day" or such. It can "side load" Kodi, which works fine; you do not need to use it with Amazon's offerings. It runs Amazon's modified Android.

Not sure if it fulfills all of your requirements, of if there is a better alternative.

That won't work as there's no IR receiver that can be controlled by slingbox. I already have the first & second Gen Amazon fire TV and 15 sticks. I resell the fire devices after I get them during big sales such as prime day.. selling sticks I bought for 20 and selling with a good build for just a few more bucks then best buy has them for.

My needs are IR remote, Android 6/7/8, at least 2 to 3GB ram and 16-32GB of storage, Bluetooth, Ethernet/5ghz/2.4ghz.. anything that came out in the last 2 years should work.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR dongle can be added to Fire TV box.

Making a bin for any of the streamers in our file section is trivial. Mi box seems to be very popular.

Does your Slingbox have HDMI input or only analog?

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several postings here (for example from mdavej) describing how to IR-control the Fire TV (at least the second generation) using an USB receiver. I am controlling my box that way, with Ortek-MCE signals.

But please do not consider me an Fire TV advocate.
karaokecab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
IR dongle can be added to Fire TV box.

Making a bin for any of the streamers in our file section is trivial. Mi box seems to be very popular.

Does your Slingbox have HDMI input or only analog?

My slingbox does have HDMI input, it's the 500 model, which was the last pro version of their HD box. I think it controls my digital cable box through the hdmi because when my IR blaster got knocked off from in front of my DVR it was still able to change the channels.
karaokecab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
There are several postings here (for example from mdavej) describing how to IR-control the Fire TV (at least the second generation) using an USB receiver. I am controlling my box that way, with Ortek-MCE signals.

But please do not consider me an Fire TV advocate.

I have a fire TV in my taxicab. Not sure if it's a 1st or 2nd gen as I got it on facebook marketplace. I was trying to get a plain android box at home to do this with as I knew most of them came with IR receivers built in and it wouldn't be a second component to buy.

mdavej
which version of the Mi boxes? I searched in the binary file section for 'mi' and didn't see one in there.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Fire doesn't make the best Android box that does it all since it's limited to the Amazon marketplace unless you jump though hoops.

This is the Mi box I was thinking of. I also made a bin file.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14383
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25285

But take with a grain of salt, as I know virtually nothing about these boxes, only that they seem popular.
karaokecab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Yeah, Fire doesn't make the best Android box that does it all since it's limited to the Amazon marketplace unless you jump though hoops.

But take with a grain of salt, as I know virtually nothing about these boxes, only that they seem popular.

I can load anything on fire within minutes.. I ordered 10 firesticks on prime day and had loaded kodi and my rebranded iptv app in a matter of 5 minutes each. The longest part of the 5 minutes was loading a build for kodi. For which would have taken longer if I used the build's servers to download it but I use adb to push the build after installing the app. They have less downloads to worry about, and I have less hassle.

I ordered the Mi Box http://www.ebay.com/itm/312200642845 cheapest one I found.
karaokecab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

Hey Dave. I just got the Mi Box (AB model) and loaded the remote.. Do you know how to add the back button on the remote? Most of my apps won't work without it as I can't click back to get to the channel list from the full screen mode.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit button is the back function as far as I know, and is already on there. If Alan, or resident Sling expert is listening, maybe he can provide more guidance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: