JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Parallel Port in Windows 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenlange

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Parallel Port in Windows 10 Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I programmed my URC-8910. I have purchased a new SAT receiver which has all different codes. I still have the same computer, but now with Windows 10. When I tried to fire up the old KM and IR system, nothing but errors, even with newer versions.

First I spent a lot of time figuring out how to get data into the remote. I had always used a parallel port on a card that I installed into the computer. Whenever IR.exe and Check Interface was run, it gave the dreaded "No response from interface. Make sure that..."

What finally worked for me was the following. This is in windows 10.

Right click on IR.exe.
On the popup menu, click on "Troubleshoot compatibility".
Under "Select Troubleshooting Option", select "Troubleshoot Program".
Under "What problems do you notice", select the top choice which is: "This program worked in earlier versions of Windows, but won't install or run now"
Click on "NEXT".
Under "Which version of Windows did this program work before?" select "Windows XP (service pack 3)".
Click on "NEXT" and there will be a chance to test the solution.

It worked here for me, and it "sticks" for future uses (see NOTE below). Other situations may have different messages and selections, but hopefully this gives an idea of something to try.

NOTE: Each time IR.exe is run now, it brings up the fearsome popup "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?" After I click on YES, it takes a little time to make those changes and then runs like it used to.

On to KM.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR and KM are obsolete. Use RMIR instead.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallel is also obsolete. Use a JP1.3 USB cable and JP1 EEPROM adapter instead for your 8910.

In any case, good stuff for someone wanting to keep that old hardware/software going for whatever reason. Thanks for posting.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had to even think about a parallel cable in a long time.

So, are we saying that, if someone has an old computer that has a parallel port and everything used to work with JP1, after they upgrade to Windows 10 it won't work any more, even using RMIR?
kasm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use my parallel JP1 cable a couple of years ago, when I got a new Windows 10 computer. I bought a Parallel PCI card. Unfortunately I had read that it could not be done. I did give it a go with IR, but couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I just got a virtual machine running Window XP and got it working that way.

Flash forward to this week, my receiver broke and I got a new one, so I tried again, but my VM was corrupted. I tried natively in Windows 10 and to my surprise I got it working!

I'm running RMIR on Windows 10 with a Parallel JP1 cable through a Parallel PCI card. One thing I did to get it working that I don't remember trying in the past is setting the address for the port.

Within RMIR, under the Menu -> Remote -> Interface -> JP1 Parallel -> select the desired port as "Other".

Within Windows 10 Device Manager, expand the ports and double click on the Parallel Port entry. This will being up the properties. In the Resource Tab, you will see the I/O range and settings. Take this address and enter the start address in the "Other" field in RMIR. Mine was CFF0.

From there, I was able to download and upload my remote configurations. Hope this helps.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64-bit support for the parallel interface is a recent addition to RMIR. It was added in the latest release, v2.06 build 5, released in March this year so it post-dates all posts in this thread except the one preceding this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: