JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oppo BDP-103 - selecting inputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Oppo BDP-103 - selecting inputs Reply with quote

So before I tried to program my "new" Xsight Color to control the big A/V rack I figured I'd try my hand at programming the bedroom system which only has a handful of devices. This system is a little odd as what I'm doing is running the cable box *through* an Oppo BDP-103 through its rear auxiliary HDMI input, then out through the Oppo's HDMI Output 1 to the TV. Reason for this is the 103 is downmixing the audio to 4.0 and feeding it out analog to an old Sansui QRX-7001 quadraphonic receiver. (If you have remote codes for that I'd love to have them! I keed, I keed) I know it's a little weird but I like old gear and it actually works surprisingly well. If you don't turn the receiver on then you can get sound through the TV, although that never actually occurs.

The problem that I'm having is that it takes forever for the Oppo to boot up and I'm also not sure of the correct sequence for commands. There are apparently no discrete commands for the Oppo to select inputs, you have to use the drop down on the screen once it's powered up, although at least you can use numbers to select the inputs rather than having to rely on arrows, which would just be an utter and complete failure.

Input, 1 -> BDP main menu
Input, 2 -> HDMI input front
Input, 3 -> HDMI input back
Input, 4 -> ARC on HDMI Output 1
Input, 5 -> ARC on HDMI Output 2

Anyway, I've been playing with the power on macros for the various activities and if I select an activity other than the last used one from the power off state, the Oppo 103 will not select the correct input. Usually if everything is powered up, it will do so correctly. Not sure if I need a delay longer than 10 sec. or if my power up order is all wrong or what.

My configuration is here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25253

Also, any comments on how I'm handling the power button would be appreciated, is this the accepted way to do this? I don't turn everything on with the power button, the power button is now a master off, and I just leave the cable box on because it will time out after a while and also there are no discrete power codes for it apparently. The Psyclone is not used as it's started to go flaky so I'll be looking for another HDMI switch (it was previously used to switch between the cable box and a Roku on the rear HDMI input.) I just went ahead and programmed it in because the device upgrade I found for it said "untested" so I figured I'd brush it up for the Xsight Color and actually test the codes (they work.)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the right delays, just do all the steps manually and record the time it actually takes. I usually add a second or two to be safe. What I typically do is send a power command and start a timer on my iPhone. Then I send the input (or whatever) command every second until it works, noting the last time I sent it.

If you need delays longer than 10, just add a dummy command (perhaps from a device that isn't even in the room) with the extra delay time. I have a few macros that need delays of over 25 seconds.

Remember you have to aim the whole time the macro is running so no commands are missed.

It may be easier to just do the Oppo commands manually after the activity runs.

Or another approach is to put the Oppo in desired state you use most often in your Shutdown activity so it will already be there for next time.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think it was about 15 seconds. I guess the dummy command is the key. Also while everything is powering up there's HDMI handshaking going on too so I probably need to power up oppo, power up TV, then after both come up then do the delay and select the input I guess. Do you agree with that approach?

I see someone downloaded my file, I guess that was likely you, is there a more elegant way to handle power, or have I done that more or less correctly?
yaworski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also repeat the same key combination few times to be sure. For example (to select HDMI input back):
- power on
- send input (in case the Oppo has been already on)
- send 3
- wait 10 s
- send input
- send 3
- wait 5 s
- send input
- send 3

Optionally repeat one more time to be sure. The downside is that you may experience the input menu popping up multiple times.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me. I assumed TV Power Off was your dummy.

I usually put all commands that can do stuff immediately, like you cable commands near the top with no delays (0.1), then add the dummy delays and finally the delayed commands.

Another thing I do is put a copy of the delayed commands at the top in case the activity is run with everything already on and no delay is needed. Those would get ignored in a cold start situation anyway.

So my way is not more elegant but a little more bullet proof.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I got back to this today and my last revision must have been completely borked. I apparently fat fingered everything the last time I changed the macros, no wonder nothing worked! I'm running a 20 second delay and doubling up on the input select commands now but it seems to be working so far... will let you know if I have any more failures

updated file is at link above or here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25253
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: