JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Syntax for macros and activities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Syntax for macros and activities Reply with quote

I have gleaned a little bit of the syntax from examples in the documentation and various posts but fear that the information I have is very incomplete. Is there a source anywhere that details the correct syntax and is comprehensive?
Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no syntax. Macros and activities are just lists of commands. Same syntax as a grocery list would have. Is there anything specific you’re confused about?

I can give you some guidelines of my own that I like to follow regarding the order and timing of commands.

- Start with Power On for each device in your activity, duration 0.1 sec each. Device that takes the longest to warm up should be first (TV, Projector, etc.)
- Optional: Power Off every device NOT used in the activity. Leave this out if you don't mind leaving unused devices on until you run your Master Power Off (Goodnight) activity
- Input commands for every device
- Delay last few input commands to equal the delay required for your slowest devices to accept new commands. For example, my TV won't accept any commands for 12.5 seconds from a cold start, so I have a 2.5 sec delay on one command and a 10.0 sec delay on another since 10 is the max
- Input commands for devices requiring delays. I typically duplicate these in my 3rd step above in case the device is already on from a previous activity and needs no delay
- Optional: Additional commands for going to a specific channel or launching a specific app or setting sound/picture modes

Last edited by mdavej on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are you programming the macros using JP1 software (ie, RMIR) or on the remote itself?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, on Nevo/Xsight, macros can only be programmed in RMIR. So this simplifies matters a bit.
PSH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your swift replies.
Yes, I am planning to use RMIR to implement some activities but want to understand how to in a bit more detail.
As to no syntax, that may just be a different understanding of the term. In which case maybe I should have asked where is a compete list of the commands that can be used? Your answer may well be that the commands associated with each device are listed on one of the RMIR tabs in which case my question disappears. However, in the documentation I noted the command "Power on (0.1)" and wondered where this, particularly the (0.1), had come from. Maybe the 0.1 is the delay you talk about but that is precisely my point about the syntax.
Apart from the above, many thanks indeed for your guidelines - most helpful.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Function dropdown lists every possible command for the selected Device.
Pause after (secs) is where you specify 0.1 (0.3 is the default)

These are simply attributes that come with every command, hence no syntax other than picking the command from the list.

Last edited by mdavej on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also help us if you specify which documentation you are using (and post a link if possible).
PSH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. That is the crucial bit of information I was missing. Nowhere had I seen reference to the Activity Macro Editor dialog. I had thought you just type the commands into the Activity Macros box - hence my original question. All is now clear though. Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it sounds like you were using some sort of documentation that mentioned "power (0.1)", I'd like to know which documentation that is, so we can get it updated.
PSH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The documentation I used was "JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? RM-IR Version", Section 6.1 / Activities and in particular the screenshot which is very similar to the screenshot in your earlier post. However, for the original screenshot from the documentation I had assumed you have to manually type in the Activity Macro commands whereas your most recent screenshot in this thread shows the Activity Macro Editor.
My suggestion would be to include a screenshot in the documentation that includes the Activity Macro Editor.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSH wrote:
The documentation I used was "JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? RM-IR Version", Section 6.1 / Activities and in particular the screenshot which is very similar to the screenshot in your earlier post. However, for the original screenshot from the documentation I had assumed you have to manually type in the Activity Macro commands whereas your most recent screenshot in this thread shows the Activity Macro Editor.
My suggestion would be to include a screenshot in the documentation that includes the Activity Macro Editor.

Thanks Paul, that's good feedback. Dave, you wanna take this one?
PSH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your excellent and speedy support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: