JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-2020 RDF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: URC-2020 RDF Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where I can find an RDF for the URC-2020 Champ remote. I have 5 of them and can't access them. When I try to download the remote into RMIR I get the message "No remotes found". Any help would be much appreciated.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No remotes found" indicates a communication problem, not a missing RDF.

Do a signature blink back and post the result.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands#.28983.29_Remote_Signature_Blink_Back

If it's 254601, then the URC-2025 RDF should work with minor modifications.
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej.

The device blinks back a 0.
I agree with you about the communications problem but my JPX flash cable works fine with my 1055 and 1056 remotes and I have checked (with a meter) that the 6 to 5 pin adapter is wired correctly
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us anything more about your cable? Do you know whether it has an FTDI chip or a Prolific one, or something else? If mdavej is right that your remote is similar to the URC-2025, that is a JP2 remote with a MAXQ processor while your 1055 and 1056 remotes are JP1.3 with an S3F80 processor. Cables with a Prolific chip have problems working with JP2 remotes. Only those with a genuine FTDI chip are known to work reliably with the MAXQ processor.

I suppose your remote may not support blink-back of signature, but that would be unusual. A value 0 is not a valid value. Is it worth trying again? Is there any useful information on a label in the battery compartment?

Edit: I've just noticed that you are using a 6-to-5-pin adapter, so your remote is one with five external holes. Are you sure you have the connectors the right way round? There are two choices for connecting the cable to the adapter and another two for connecting the adapter to the remote, and neither orientation may be obvious so this is something to check. And I believe that the only remotes that use the 5-hole connector are ones with the MAXQ processor.
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the interesting info re: the chips. I bought my cable from TxSat about a year ago. The general wisdom seemed to be that he was the most reliable source. I have been very diligent in making sure the adapter is connected correctly as well as trying all combinations.

The 2020 is an odd beast - it's just a 2 device remote, TV & cable box. I have just tried pulling the batteries and finally have a signature blink code of 3393. The numbers in the battery compartment are:C152900, below that: URC 2020BC0-B1 XXX-0865-007-R.

Does any of that offer any clues?
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! That signature code is missing a 1

It should read 33931
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does any of that offer any clues?

Yes, but not enough to solve your problem. It looks as if your remote is JP1.4, which uses a S3F80 processor like your other remotes but which has a data structure like JP2. These remotes, like JP2, have a 6-digit signature but blinkback only gives 5 values. The last value gives the last two digits, so that final 1 is really a final 01, giving a signature of 339301. The initial 3 indicates the S3F80 processor, the MAXQ ones start with 2. We haven't previously seen a remote with that signature, so it is a new one.

TxSat cables use genuine FTDI chips and should be able to handle all the newer remotes, so I don't know why it doesn't work. But I don't think we have seen a JP1.4 remote with the 5-hole external connector before. I can't think it is connected differently from that of the MAXQ 5-hole remotes, but I suppose it is a possibility.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I am hoping that mdavej or some other expert will come up with further suggestions. If not, I am prepared to buy one to experiment with, as I don't think we have ever had a UEI remote with an appropriate connector that we could not in the end communicate with. I have found this one on eBay. Is this the right one? I am in the UK so it will take some time to arrive if I buy it.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the right one then this one is new and a lower price. I realize that shipping may be faster for you from the other source.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don’t have any other ideas except perhaps that Paul donate one for testing since he has so many.

Last edited by mdavej on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul@PaulRina.ca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you fellows have found the right remote. Unfortunately I use all of the units I have (my wife would be miffed if one disappeared!).

Graham, thank you for your generous offer. I would be glad to reimburse you for the cost of the unit. Can you contact me privately?

I will be out of town for a few days and may not have a great opportunity to respond.

thanks again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
If it is the right one then this one is new and a lower price. I realize that shipping may be faster for you from the other source.

Many thanks for that link. I've ordered one of these new ones, not only is it cheaper but the postage is less too, and delivery is not any longer.

Paul, it is kind of you to offer to reimburse me, but it is not necessary. I'm happy to buy it for myself just for the interest in trying to sort it out.
lnolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there

I just tried downloading from said remote. I get a popup saying

No RDF matches signature starting 3393
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnolin wrote:
I just tried downloading from said remote. I get a popup saying

No RDF matches signature starting 3393

That is the expected behaviour at present. I hope that we shall have an RDF for it in a week or so.

Can you tell us, please, what JP1.x cable and 6-to-5 pin adapter you are using? Paul has been unable to communicate with his URC-2020s and since you can, it looks as if the problem lies with either his cable or his adapter. Probably the adapter, as his cable works with other remotes, but I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage.
lnolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my cable off ebay a few years ago. It has 6 loose wires with colors:
white green black yellow blue red (Found the link to it on this site) FTDI

I made my own header for it using a male header for thru hole circuit boards.

holding the remote normally I plug into the 4 leftmost contacts.

pin 1 = white
pin 2 = green
pin 3 = black
pin 4 = yellow

In RMIR I have chosen for interface settings: JP1.X serial (and of course the com port)

I use the same cable to program the 2025 (Champion) remote
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: