JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (TV version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using Stand Alone TiVo remote in IR or RF mode, pressing tv volume or mute keys, programmed for any brand of tv, it still flashes a yellow circle on the TiVo itself for each command. Even though there's no effect on TiVo. But pressing the volume key on tv oem remote with same IR codeset, doesn't get response from TiVo. Tivo remotes most add extra IR signal to make TiVo respond.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed my testing and compiled my results into an RM upgrade file for the TCL P605. I've posted it here in case there is any interest: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14764

This file includes discretes for on, off, and input selection as well as discretes for direct access to most of the Roku streaming services.

Thanks to everyone for the support.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I completed my testing and compiled my results into an RM upgrade file for the TCL P605. I've posted it here in case there is any interest: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14764

This file includes discretes for on, off, and input selection as well as discretes for direct access to most of the Roku streaming services.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just got a TCL S405, which is very similar. I have an Atlas 5 Day URC-1055 JP1.3 3033 remote.

Your upgrade works, but some of the keys are not programmed correctly since the OP here has a different remote. Could you assist with getting this to work correctly with my remote?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make corrections on the Layout or Buttons tabs.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your upgrade works, but some of the keys are not programmed correctly since the OP here has a different remote. Could you assist with getting this to work correctly with my remote?

I can certainly try to help you, but I'm no expert, and mdavej is. Are you asking for help mapping the functions to buttons on your remote as opposed to mine, or are you saying that the function codes I've placed in the upgrade don't perform the indicated functions on your TV?

If the former, then mdavej's approach is the way to go. If the latter, then you'll need to figure out what the correct function codes are for your TV. The usual approach to figuring that out is to learn the function codes from the OEM remote. Incidentally, I did notice that some, not many, of the function codes identified earlier in this thread did not work on my TV.
lexluthor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Make corrections on the Layout or Buttons tabs.

I think I've got it. When I change the remote, it even tells me which buttons are no longer mapped. I was able to remap them to buttons on my remote and even changed a few from what was the default in the file to something I prefer.

I'm good here, thanks!
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 8.0.0 software update adds a "Fast TV Start" under System->Power. This essentially leaves the TV in the 'warm" state all the time and ensures the discrete on commands will always work![/code]
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The new 8.0.0 software update adds a "Fast TV Start" under System->Power. This essentially leaves the TV in the 'warm" state all the time and ensures the discrete on commands will always work!

I saw that. My TV is still running 7.7.0. When I get the upgrade, I may take advantage of this.

In the meantime, I noticed that the "Power" (toggle) command "wakes" the TV up if it's cold (none of the discretes do that), so I use the power toggle in my power on macro and the discrete off to turn the TV off. You can also set the TV to turn on in a particular mode; i.e., whenever you use the power toggle to turn it on, it switches to the input you configure. That's helpful in my macros too.

Right now, I have a button on my remote that fires a global macro that turns the TV on with the power toggle and configures it and other components to watch satellite TV. Regardless of what I'm going to watch, this is how I turn it on. Then I'll use another macro to switch to watching a DVD or OTA TV, etc. I use a power off macro on my remote's power button to shut everything off via discretes. Before I turn the TV and the AVR off, I switch them to satellite mode so they're ready for the next power on command.

I'm hoping I get 8.0.0 soon. I'm looking forward to the on-screen program guide that comes with it. I've read you can "time shift" with that, and I'm intrigued by what that might mean.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Discrete off code doesn't work? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Last night, when I attempted to turn my TV off, it wouldn't turn off! I guess the discrete off code has changed (I have been using OBC 24). Moreover, up until today, I had been using OBC 23 for Power to turn the TV on. As of this afternoon, that doesn't work either! All the other TV functions I've assigned seem to work as before. Does anyone know offhand why this may have happened?

When I use OBC 23 for Power, nothing happens. The LED does not blink as it does when it receives a command from the remote. Evidently OBC 23 is no longer recognized by the TV.

When I use OBC 24 in my Power off macro, the TV initially shuts down, but turns back on.

Incidentally, I'm running version 8.1.0, build 4139-30 of the Roku software. I'm not sure when the last time it updated, but I'm thinking yesterday given what I'm experiencing today.

mdavej has advised that the latest update provides a new discrete on OBC 22. I wonder if something changed about the discrete off OBC as well?

I'll do some messing around to see if I can find a fix, but I thought I'd post first in case someone else has encountered, and fixed, this problem already.

Thanks for any help.

Edited to fix a typo
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I've done a bit more work trying to figure out what's going on, so I thought I'd document that here in case anyone could have a look.

Here is my RMIR file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25269

I'm using the following OBCs for power-related functions

Function OBC
Power toggle 23
Discrete on 22
Discrete off 24

I have been using 23 and 24 since October 2017 and all has been well. I use these codes in macros to power up/down various components of my system and configure inputs/outputs in the same way most others do. My upgrade from October lacked a "discrete on" function and I couldn't find one, so I use the power toggle to turn the TV on and the discrete off to turn it off. That has worked mostly OK.

mdavej recently supplied the OBC 22 for discrete on.

Here is a summary of my latest observations:

OBC 22 does not turn on my TV

Shift power will turn my TV on and off when used "outside" macros. Shift power works erratically if it is used inside a macro. Sometimes it will power the TV on, sometimes it won't. Shift TV will not turn the TV off within a macro

Discrete off will turn the TV off outside a macro, but not within a macro

The TV behaves strangely when I issue a discrete off from within a macro. It acts like it is shutting off, the screen goes dark but the "powering off" message doesn't appear, then it comes back on. If I then issue a shift power command from the remote, it powers off normally.

I've tried to engage TCL for support but I haven't heard anything from them.

Thanks very much for any help.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Working now Reply with quote

Well, I've got my remote working again, but I have no idea why it's working. I'm missing something fundamental about how macros work or how my TV processes IR commands. Maybe one of the experts can help me figure out what I don't understand. Maybe someone else will benefit from my experience.

For the past 8 months, I've had a working power on macro that looks like this:

Power on (old): Dev_1, Commands, Dev_2, Commands,...,Dev_TV, Shift-power

This macro started working erratically two days ago. Sometimes it turned the TV on, sometimes it did not, and whether it did or did not seemed to depend on how long the TV had been "off". If it were off less than, say 10 or 15 minutes, it would not work. However, sending a shift-power command directly from the remote to the TV turned it on, regardless of how long it had been off.

Today, on a whim, I decided to move the TV commands to the top of the macro; i.e., like this:

Power on (new): Dev_TV, Shift-power, Dev_2, Commands, ..., Dev_N, Commands

Strangley, to me, this macro works perfectly. It turns the TV on every time, regardles off how long it had been off.

Similarly, for the past 8 months, I've had a working power off macro that looks like this:

Power off (old): Dev_1, Commands, Dev_2, Commands, ..., Dev_TV Discrete HDMI1, Discrete Off

This macro stopped turning the TV off completely two days ago. It looked like the TV was shutting off, the screen went dark, but then it came back on. The "powering off" message on the TV did not display.

With a full head of steam, and heady with success from the power on macro, I applied the same approach, moving TV commands to the top of the macro, giving:

Power off (new1): Dev_TV, Discrete HDMI1, Discrete Off, Dev_2, Commands, ..., Dev_N, Commands

The result was the same as the old power off. No "powering off" message, TV goes dark, then comes back on. So then, again on a whim, I deleted the Discrete HDMI1 command (I want to turn the TV off in this mode for a couple reasons). That gave me this macro:

Power off (new2): Dev_TV, Discrete Off, Dev_2, Commands, ..., Dev_N, Commands

This macro successfully turned the TV off -- "powering off" message on screen, successful power off.

The only thing I can conclude from this is that, somehow, the Discrete HDMI1 command affects what the TV does with the Discrete Off command. Maybe both of those firing in rapid succession means something special to the TV. If I issue a Discrete HDMI1 command directly to the TV, not inside a macro, and the TV is "off", nothing happens; i.e., it doesn't turn the TV on. If I issue a Discrete HDMI1 command directly to the TV when it's on, it switches to the HDMI1 input, as expected.

I have no idea why changing the order of the device instructions inside a macro has any affect on how the macro is executed.

This is not an issue with the remote. My wife's 8910 started working exactly the same way on the same day. I do believe that day was when the firmware on my TV was upgraded.

So, I'm working again but I don't know why. Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now getting around to looking at this.

My best guess is you have HDMI CEC enabled on one or more of your devices, which is in some cases is undoing your macro power commands. With CEC, turning on/off or changing inputs on one device will send power commands over HDMI to other connected devices. This doesn't not play well with remotes also trying to do the same things.

Now that you've rearranged things, may not be an issue. But probably best to turn it off in all your devices unless you want to rework things to truly utilize it in lieu of some of your macro commands.

Have you confirmed that OBC 22 that someone posted from TCL support actually works now that you've changed your macro order?
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

I can confirm that OBC 22 does not work with my TV, regardless of how long it sits "off".

I don't believe I've enabled CEC consciously on any device. It could however, be enabled by default on my Pi running OSMC. I'll have a look at that and disable it if it's on.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually on by default on TVs, AVRs, disc players, streaming devices, etc. Could be called any number of things including just HDMI Control. So check all your devices.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Dave. I'll check them all. I have checked the Pi, and it is enabled by default in OSMC, so I'll disable that.

One thing I'm curious about. My setup and macros worked fine until two days ago. I haven't done a thing with my hardware in a long time, so it puzzles me that things would quit working all of a sudden. Maybe CEC on the TV is now enabled by default and it wasn't? I'll check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: