JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo amp codes, merging two sets for XSight Touch remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the new info from Vicky, looks like you just need to change the protocol on the Setup tab to Nec1-f16 Official, then you can enter the appropriate data in Dev (210), Sub (30), OBC1 (80) and OBC2 (14) for the example of Bluetooth.

I recommend you put all 3 byte commands like this in a separate device (maybe call it Onkyo Alt). Leave your main Onkyo device as is, assign these Alt functions to buttons in your main Onkyo device on the buttons tab by choosing the Alt device in the Functions For Device drop down. This will be possible once both your main and alt devices are in your RMIR file.

This would be a good file to start with since it's small and is already made for the Nevo C2 and has the right protocol.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10322

This Onkyo is a challenge for all of us.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and write a combo executor that allows for all sub-devices, all OBCs and all OBC2. I have zipped together the following files here: PB, KM, RM, protocols.ini addition and a spreadsheet with all the codes from the 2 files posted earlier.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14731

I also created a modified version of the Onkyo spreadsheet that was posted earlier where all the Pronto codes have been converted into NEC1/NEC2 codes.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14732

That spreadsheet was how I confirmed that there are no OBCs between 32 and 63, which enabled me to use the bit that gets set when OBC=32 to indicate that an NEC2 signal is needed.

This is tested, it works.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

I recommend you put all 3 byte commands like this in a separate device (maybe call it Onkyo Alt). Leave your main Onkyo device as is, assign these Alt functions to buttons in your main Onkyo device on the buttons tab by choosing the Alt device in the Functions For Device drop down. This will be possible once both your main and alt devices are in your RMIR file.

Why? I'm new to the Nevo/xSight remotes. But as far as i know on these remotes every device, even a helper code is going to show up on the devices tab and cause end user confusion. We alteady have a nec1or2-F16 6 device protocol altough it is not seem to automatically calc OBC2 correctly.

Am I missing something?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main aim of starting this was actually to only have one listed device for my Onkyo amp, with all of the extra codes that I might need contained in one place, and then eventually re-upload that combined device set here for other potential users.

I originally had (and still have) two working devices on my remote, both downloaded from the One-For-All database when EZ-RC was still running. One is titled for the TX-NR555 and the other for my older TX-SR606, and both sets of codes work fine with my current amp. Between those two sets I seemed to have pretty much all of the major codes I might need (most are available in the 555 list, but a few discrete codes were only in the 606 version).

This worked fine and I just made aliased buttons in the 555 'master' version to use those few extra codes I needed from the 606 set. However for tidiness (and as part of a learning experience) I asked here how I could copy a few codes from my 606 set over to the 555 set so I could delete the 606 set from the device completely.

So the current situation is that I now have four testing amp devices in my remote Smile and the original '555' one (which is the one I reference in my macros) no longer works at all due to an earlier edit we made in the protocols.ini file.

I'll download the new combi file and see how I get on with that, and then try adding some extra items from the updated spreadsheet. Thanks very much for everyone's efforts here, I had no idea my simple question would result in so much activity!

[Edit] I can see what I need to do with the protocols.ini.txt snippet file (append the contents to the end of the current protocols.ini file in the main RM program folder) but not sure what I need to do with Onkyo_Combo_KM.txt and Onkyo_Combo_PB.txt ?

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rob's new solution appears to cover everything. I updated my protocols.ini file with the extra entry he provided (I didn't do anything with the _KM.txt and _PB.txt files, not sure if I should though?) and then imported his new Onkyo_Combo.rmdu file into my original RMIR backup (the fallback copy that I saved before starting tinkering with the other options).
  • My original Onkyo 606 and 555 devices still work fine.
  • All of the same commands in the new Onkyo_Combo set work well too, including the discrete power keys.
  • I can manually add the keys that I learned from the 555's physical remote control (Game, Memory, etc) into the Onkyo Combo Functions tab and they seem to work fine when assigned to a button.
  • I haven't yet tried any entries from the revised spreadsheet, but I have no reason so suspect they will cause any problems (if the amp hardware supports them anyway). Will not have time to test those until tomorrow.

Many thanks Rob, looks like this one could be the winner. Smile

Andre
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was busy yesterday and didn't pay close attention to the forum.

It sounds like we've given you a whole lot of options.

But I did see where you had a misconception.

Andre wrote:
So I can ignore the first two hex bytes in the Onkyo spreadsheet (e.g. D21E or D26C) as they are already quoted in the setup section, and only worry about entering the third and (if present) fourth byte into the Functions screen?

While the D2 is a given, all the functions use Device 210, the next byte gives the subdevice, which is a very important piece of the signal.

On the sixSubs type executors, you need to populate that subdevice information from a dropdown selector, or the signal won't work. On other executors that allow an infinite number of subs, you type it in. Either way that needs to be chosen.

Another piece of the puzzle is the Nec1 or Nec2 style. If you get that wrong, the signal will not repeat correctly. When in doubt opt for NEC1. That information was burried a little deeper in the Onkyo spreadsheet, in the Pronto Hex and it looks like Rob pulled that information out for you.

Even on simple equipment there is a big learning curve, but this Onkyo is a more challenging box than most. Hang in there!

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewilley wrote:
I can see what I need to do with the protocols.ini.txt snippet file (append the contents to the end of the current protocols.ini file in the main RM program folder) but not sure what I need to do with Onkyo_Combo_KM.txt and Onkyo_Combo_PB.txt ?

Hey Andre,
You can ignore both of those files, unless you want to peak under the covers of how we do things here in JP1 land, I included those more for Vicky's benefit.

But thanks for testing my file and glad that it's working for you.

If you feel so inclined, you can also look at the massive Onkyo spreadsheet to see if there are any other functions that you think might work on your unit that you want to try. Hopefully it will be obvious how to enter them. Basically, you would need to enter the subdevice and OBC, and if an OBC2 is shown, enter it. If you leave OBC2 blank, it should default to the correct code (ie, 255-OBC) for the ones that don't use OBC2. Also, there are a few buttons that use NEC2, typically repeating buttons like vol+ or arrow up, etc, so select NEC2 if it's indicated.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I decided to go ahead and write a combo executor that allows for all sub-devices, all OBCs and all OBC2.

I also created a modified version of the Onkyo spreadsheet that was posted earlier where all the Pronto codes have been converted into NEC1/NEC2 codes.
Nice work Rob on the protocol and the spreadsheet. Onkyo has needed a solution like this for ages. Thanks!

What do you think about splitting the Onkyo stuff into its own thread to make it easier to find in the future?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Nice work Rob on the protocol and the spreadsheet. Onkyo has needed a solution like this for ages. Thanks!

Thanks Dave. Btw, can you check my code for OBC2 (in protocols.ini) to see if it can be improved. It does work the first time you enter an OBC (ie, it creates the standard NEC complement) but what I'd like it to do is, if you blank out an OBC2 code, I'd like it to revert to the complement again.

mdavej wrote:
What do you think about splitting the Onkyo stuff into its own thread to make it easier to find in the future?

I was thinking the same thing.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

For what it's worth, I agree too - I was going to suggest it in fact (I did edit the title from just the TV bit to better reflect the way the thread had progressed).

All working well so far, and I've changed all my macros to use the new combined set. The extra (learned) codes from the device's original remote are now inserted into the new set too, and working fine. After a week or so of general use I'll remove my old NR555 and SR606 sets completely (which was the original aim).

Thanks everyone for all the help, and once I've checked and maybe added some of the codes from the Onkyo spreadsheet I'll upload my finished version to the files section. I assume the new protocols info will get migrated into the RM release build at some point?

I've not heard anything back from their support department by the way.

Andre
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre, I have split the threads, so this one is now dedicated to the Onkyo. I duplicated the first post so that it could be in both threads, but could you go back now and edit the 1st post in this thread so that it totally reflects the Onkyo? For example, we don't know which model of amp you have, nor what year it is from.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
could you go back now and edit the 1st post in this thread so that it totally reflects the Onkyo?

Done. Thanks.

Andre
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: