JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roku 3 and RCA OARUSB04G
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winston65

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Roku 3 and RCA OARUSB04G Reply with quote

I'm too old for this nonsense.

I wanted an new remote to take the place of the 5 branded remotes I've got piled up. Did a little research and decided on a RCA OARUSB04G. The packaging claims that the device will duplicate the Roku 3 remote. No trouble with TV, DVD and my tuner. However the Roku 3 setup is a nonstarter. Tried all the codes in the pamphlet, tried simpleset.com, tried reassigning keys. Nothing I have attempted works. I'm not asking for help, just wanted to say that I'm going to return this one and get a remote that already has roku built in. My only question is 'WTF'? The front of the remote says one for all, on the back it says RCA OARUSB04G. I can't figure out who to call for tech support.
So I prove the old saying, nothing is as simple as it looks. At least for this old idiot. Thanks for the time. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't see this as it sounds like you have given up already, but we have a code for the Roku 3 here in the JP1 file section, and the OARUSB04G comes with its own USB cable that allows you to program it using JP1, so it seems to me that there's no problem here.

Here is the Roku 3 upgrade file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25290

At any rate, this upgrade corresponds to the video accessory/3061 code, which according to the code list for your remote, is included in the remote's memory.

More reading:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117292#117292

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a couple of things going on.

Roku may not be line of sight. Must be to work with this remote.

STB may not be the right device type. Hold Setup for 2 blinks, 992, STB, STB. Then assign 3061 as usual (Setup for 2 blinks, STB, 3061).
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roku 3 can understand IR signals, but the factory remote actually communicates via WiFi. So, as mdavej says, it's important to make sure that the Roku box is visible to the OARUSB04G, and that it is rotated so the IR receiver is on the side the IR remote will be pointing at.

Cable 3061 definitely will operate a Roku 3. See this thread for one possible reason why you're having trouble.
winston65

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: let me eat some crow Reply with quote

Ok the problem was as simple as turning the roku box for line of sight. One last issue. This code does not include the 'back' key. Kind of nice to have with roku. Since the roku remote is RF, how can I learn the back key to my remote? Or can I? This key is on all roku remotes, is not a new function. How did it get left out? I humble myself before your knowledge.
Very Happy
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only messed around with it briefly, but GUIDE will get you Home. But we can easily add BACK and tons of other commands (Netflix, Amazon, etc.). Just post your BIN file here and I'll add whatever you want (HERE's the full list):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=user_upload&cat_id=35

If you're willing to try Remote Master, you can customize every single button yourself and add any command you wish. You can also turn this little remote into a 12 device remote with a ton more functionality. It really is a hidden gem of a remote.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACK button is there after all. It's on the Prev Channel button next to Mute.

So it maps out like this:

GUIDE = HOME
INFO = *
PREV CH = BACK

Up/down/left/right/ok, Play/pause/ffwd/rew/skipback are on their respective buttons.

So it's all there.

You can add other functions via the bin file and simpleset or remote master or manually with codes. To add Netflix for example, hold Setup for 2 blinks, 994, STB, tap Setup then 00156, RED (to assign Netflix to red button). Here are a few others:

00001 Back
00141 FandangoNow
00096 Pandora
00074 Amazon
00146 Vudu
00043 Page Up
00087 Page Down
00069 Channel Store
00189 Crackle
00237 SlingTV
00034 rdio
00032 YouTube
00029 Cinema Now
00022 Google play
00159 Hulu
00161 HBO Now
00157 Showtime

If you wanted, you could assign BACK to EXIT like so. Hold Setup for 2 blinks, 994, STB, Prev Ch, EXIT. Similar story to copy Menu function on the INFO button to the MENU button.
winston65

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: back key is not there Reply with quote

The back key on my remote did not program to the roku 'back' function. I'm going to try 'learn' function since it's only one key. Can't see how to attach my bin file yet.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just told you how to program the back function to any button. Learning won't work because the Roku 3 remote isn't IR.

What is the issue programming the back function with my instructions (last line of my previous post)? I just did it myself and it worked fine.
winston65

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I need a copy of 'JP1 for Real Dummies'
Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: back key is not there Reply with quote

winston65 wrote:
Can't see how to attach my bin file yet.

You can't "attach" files here, you have to load them to the file section and then post a link to them.

Please load your bin file into the Diagnosis Area:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=35
winston65

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: uploaded my bin file Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14463
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston,

Is this your latest file? I ask because you said you set up your TV, DVD and Tuner, but this file has no code for your Tuner. What make/model tuner and did you want the vol buttons to work with it or with the TV?

Would you like any streaming services on the colored buttons?
winston65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: bin file Reply with quote

The only thing changed from the file I uploaded is that added my Yamaha tuner (code 0176) which I added to the STB key because I am using the audio key for Roku. As for adding anything else, my setup is pretty simple. I have my Sony TV, a panasonic dvd player, my Yamaha tuner and my roku box. I'm trying to improve my RMIR skills and there is much left to learn.
I am very grateful for your patient help, thank you very much.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not consider Roku to be a set top box? If it were me, I'd put the Roku on the STB button and the Yamaha on the Audio button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: