JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crash when accessing remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartermain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Crash when accessing remote Reply with quote

I have a URC-7555 which is wearing out so just bought another off eBay. Since I last used RemoteMaster I've changed PC, and am now running Win10 with Java 8. I installed the latest RemoteMaster from SourceForge.

It starts up OK and loads the .rmir file, but as soon as I try to upload to the remote I get an immediate crash. A log file is left behind which contains this text:

# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000006d80f9, pid=3248, tid=0x0000000000001a0c
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_111-b14) (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.111-b14 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [ftd2xx.dll+0x80f9]

The weird thing is I can't even find a ftd2xx.dll file in the install folder....
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed the FTDI driver for your interface cable? ftd2xx.dll is part of the driver installation, not of the RMIR distribution.
quartermain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were there already but I reinstalled from the FTDI site. Device Manager now shows "USB Serial Port (COM3)" and "USB Serial Converter". Selecting Properties on either shows manufacturer is FTDI and version is 2.12.240.

In RMIR if I autoselect the communication method then trying to upload or download causes it to exit instantly. The log file still says the same except that the code location within the DLL has changed:

# Problematic frame:
# C [ftd2xx.dll+0x81d9]

On the other hand if I select JP1.X Serial as the interface then pick COM3, I don't get a crash, but I get an error panel "No remotes found". However the first device button on the remote does flash, once, then a pause, then twice more with a shorter pause between.

I'll try some fresh batteries.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure which drivers you ended up loading. But you should use the VCP ones below, not D2xx or D3xx.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
quartermain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those were the ones I used. Fresh batteries made no difference. I tried a different PC, a Linx 1010B running Win10 Home 32-bit. It had never had the cable connected. I installed the drivers directly from the setup file.

No crash this time but whatever I did I got "No remotes found". I also have a URC-7960 and I tried that too and once, just once, out of 10 attempts, it downloaded the contents.

I'm beginning to suspect the cable, which I bought from Tommy Tyler many years ago. Yet the lights on it flash when I plug it in, Windows recognises it and a few seconds later there is a double flash from the remote so all looks OK.

I have two more PC's to try, my work laptop and a Win7 32-bit VM running under VirtualBox. Then I think it's a hunt for a supplier of a new cable in the UK.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChipPartner below is very cheap and ships worldwide. I've used a couple of their cables for a while now without issue.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16200
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guess, the ribbon cable from the USB to the 6 pin cable end has a broken wire. Could be either the TX or RX lines. The remote will flash as long as just RTS is connected. In principle this is fixable, but realistically it means removing the outside of the USB section and soldering in a new ribbon cable. You could try: remove the 6 pin connector, cut off the end of the ribbon cable, and reattach the 6 pin connector. If you're lucky, the broken wire will be at the connector end of the cable. My experience is that the stress point is the attachment of the ribbon cable to the USB part, since any force or pulling on the cable will move a remote, but not a computer.

I have done this sort of repair, but getting a new one is way easier.
quartermain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a new one then. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: