JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Appropriate RC5 system address for soundbar or speaker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Appropriate RC5 system address for soundbar or speaker? Reply with quote

I'm building a powered speaker and it looks to me like the most appropriate RC5 system address is 16 (decimal) which is generic preamp1. The speaker is amplified with source switching, tone controls, etc.

Can anyone confirm this?
mojojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I clearly remember reading a list of system addresses that specified system address 11 for soundbars. Now I can't find that and the only lists I see say system 11 is reserved.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of what is "appropriate" is relevant only if you intend to "manufacture" your project. Assuming you are not doing that, you can use anything that does not conflict with another device in your environment.

PS. There are better protocols than RC5 around. Wink
mojojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we'll be manufacturing this in tiny quantities, so it does need to play nice with other stuff out there.

Our existing receiver code supports RC5 and works OK (with caveats, see below). If we switch to something else like NEC we would need to rewrite the receiver code and delay launch of a product that may not sell anyway (also, don't we need a manufacturer code?) There's only two people in our business and no income, so resources are limited.

The downside of our existing code is it does not take advantage of the RC5 biphase encoding for error correction. So if reception is poor (remote is far away, bright room) a bit can occasionally get flipped and a volume up press can become volume down for example.

What I would like to do is use an appropriate RC5 address, then use unassigned command codes for the buttons. This would allow us to use dissimilar command codes and reduce the incidence of errors. My fear is these command lists are incomplete and we will still get interference.

Another approach would be to use a custom code, say RC5 with a longer command code. The downside with that is it won't play nice with universal remotes.

Ideas, comments are much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: