JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Figuring out the OFA URC7980
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remote has keymoves definitions that assign TV functions to the Audio device. It also has macros assigned to the activity buttons. I've captured the signals being sent by the Watch TV macro, and the keymoves allow Power On to be sent even though the macro puts the remote into Audio mode. The Vol group buttons aren't defined because there is no Audio setup code, but the remote sends the TV Vol group signals even though the activity ostensibly should route these to the Audio device and the Audio LED flashes. Then the macro sends 4 STB signals before reverting to Audio mode, and attempts to send A, Blue. Blue is defined by keymove but A is undefined. The remote actually sends NEC 64.175, OBC 93, but I have no idea where that comes from.

With no Audio setup code, the Listen to Music activity is not available, so presumably you will want to assign a setup code.

If I were doing this, I'd setup the Cambridge Audio component to accept its native IR signals, build an upgrade to send those signals, and assign it to Audio. Of course the keymoves would need to be deleted.
jts321835

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3FG, I will look to build an upgrade file for it this evening, I think I might default the device and start again, the 4 zeros will go on the macro because they don't work properly that was when I attempted to use them as a discrete on. The music activity actually works what it does on mine is go to audio, it then selects the audio device and sends B key which switches it to Bluetooth.

Would you suggest I default the remote and start from scratch creating my new upgrade for the audio device, sounds like things are less than perfect.
jts321835

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created my own upgrade file for the Cambridge audio TV2 as suggested, tested and as far as I can see is working well, would it be ok to post a link here and have someone check it over before I submit it to the downloads section in case I have made any newly mistakes or bad practices.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go ahead and upload it to the Audio section. I'll give it a try by capturing the signals.

I've revised the RDF file to correctly list the Activities in order. With the previous version, an upload to the remote would assign the intended Listen To Music activity to Watch Movie instead.

Regarding starting fresh, you do have a number of learned signals, and some of these are used in your macros. As yet, RMIR doesn't parse 7980 learns, so I'm not sure if we can convert these to an upgrade easily or not. For the time being I wouldn't reset the remote.
jts321835

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started a fresh due to all the weird issues I had been having.

I don't have any learned functions now as I have created that upgrade file, all my other devices functionality is fully supported as far as I am aware.

the only bit I haven't done now is the pause between turning the TV on and changing the input, how do I actually configure that?

Link to my new configuration is https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFGznnLIarugY5vMTmVUMc_wK4eYQ

I have also uploaded my upgrade file it is titled Cambridge Audio TV2.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for uploading the Cambridge Audio file; it looks fine.

To invoke a Pause, make sure you're using the RemoteMaster v2.04 build 6_2541 (until we get an official build), and the associated Protocols.ini file.
Start a new device upgrade and select Pause Protocol (Special). You can use any device and setup code as long as they don't collide with other usages. On the functions tab, choose one of the functions and fill in the OBC column with 16 times the desired delay in seconds. E.g. to get 5 seconds of delay, enter 80. Assign the function to a (probably shifted) button. Now you can call this button in a macro.
jts321835

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the latest build, in RMIR I got to file, new, device upgrade but I don't see any options or mention of pause protocol, not sure if I am missing the point.

Sorry for all the questions 3FG.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Device Upgrade Editor, Setup tab, you'll see Protocol: Aiwa and Protocol ID: 00 5E. Change Protocol to Pause Protocol (Special). The Protocol ID should then be filed in as 01 FB.

If you don't see Pause Protocol (Special) in the list, then you aren't using the Protocols.ini file I included in the zip file containing Build6_2541.
jts321835

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 3FG, got it working just on a side note the field in mine says duration rather than OBC, strangely if I drop the duration to one it seems to sit executing it for around 8 seconds, none of this is a problem just an observation.
jts321835

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Long key press Reply with quote

I have recently discovered holding the 0 button down on the remote does seem to effectively power on the Humax PVR which is almost like having a discrete on, my question is can I simulate a long key press without a extender?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No promises, but if you'll post the RMDU file for your Humax PVR, maybe I can make an executor that can send the a long press of the IR signal associated with the 0 button.
gna03633

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the efforts on this topic. Really helped with my JP1 re-visit after a new TV / Remote and JP1 cable.
loft

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's been seven years since starting this journey! Sadly, my remote started to show its age (worn out buttons) and I fear it might kick the bucket one day.

So, beside the URC 7880 (expensive to import to Germany) and the URC 7955 (a few devices and buttons less), is there any comparable replacement for the 7980?

I like the availability of 8 devices because I use it for non media things too (like the robot vacuum cleaner), the extended macros are fantastic when turning on/off several devices and being able to make it ring after the kids tucked it under the bed... priceless! The only thing I miss a bit from my trustworthy remote are individual device buttons and maybe backlight, but after 7 years I learned to live without them.

So... what would you replace it with?
Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if there's a version of this remote available in Europe:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103213
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the URC-3661 Essential 6 is the closest readily available European counterpart to the remote Rob mentions but it is a 6 device remote.

The URC-1280 Contour 8 is an 8 device remote that is available in Europe. If I am reading the tea leaves right, this model might be retired soon. It is 14.99 Euros on Amazon, so you could buy a few as insurance against obsolescence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: