JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone used a URC-8800 Nevo WiFi Bridge ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

At least my "box" has a built-in IR-blaster, capable of sending IR over reasonably large distances, located on the side opposite of the jacks.

Another source for stick-on emitters is smarthome.com
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

vickyg2003 wrote:

Barf wrote:

Vicky wrote:

and I still need to look into adding your a tool for me to do LSB MSB Dec Hex conversion to my web site

The source is available on Github (here); making the Java proggie it into an applet should not be really hard

Vicky wrote:

, so I have a tool to do this when I'm on my tablet.

... neither should a port to Android be very hard.

Not hard for you, but VERY hard for me. But I really need to do something hard. I haven't learned anything in a long time, and it gets really boring.....

Overcoming inertia and self directing myself is not my strength.

Thank you for the code. I copied it down to my work area so I won't have to search for it.

That is the right approach! I wish you good luck! Very Happy

Well this is the ultimate in "tax evasion", meaning that I have been doing this when I am sitting here at my computer trying to get my taxes ready for the mail. Laughing

I now have my phone friendly HexByte Calulator.
http://getzweb.net/jp1/HexCalculator/

Now back to the Nevo Bridge and the Nevo C2 remote. But only after the taxes are in the mail!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratiolation! Cool Razz But it is a litte different from what I envisioned. Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I now have my phone friendly HexByte Calulator.
http://getzweb.net/jp1/HexCalculator/

How does it work? I can get digits to appear in the top box by clicking the keypad buttons, but nothing else seems to happen.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Congratiolation! Cool Razz But it is a litte different from what I envisioned. Wink

It is pretty close to the tool in IRScrutinizer, except I needed the controls to make it easy to enter hex on a touch device. No flipping back and forth between the various keyboards for alpha and numbers.

Or do you share my DH's opinion of the color scheme, he said "nice use of color" accompanied by a big eyeroll. Rolling Eyes followed by a choking noise.

Robman wrote:

How does it work? I can get digits to appear in the top box by clicking the keypad buttons, but nothing else seems to happen.

Code:

" = "    makes it calculate
"Clear" makes it clear the Accumulator
"BS"    makes it backspace

EDIT: Oh I see, on some devices this doesn't show all the controls. I guess I need to edit the style sheet to get this to show all the controls on the same page. I can do that now that it is actually working and doing the calculations!

If it is accumulating that is a great sign. I had trouble getting this thing to work on the various browsers. It first worked in firefox, then after more tweaking chrome, then more tweaking ie, then more tweaking ie on windows 10, then more tweaking, Edge and iphone.

I've wanted something like this for years. Barf has it covered on the PC, but I need it on my phone and tablet which is where I do 60% of my computing.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the = button, I never thought of trying that. I was looking for an ENTER button.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky. Cute tool that would be handy on a phone. I have one suggestion for the user interface that would have completely avoided Rob's question. You could recalculate and re-display the results every time a number is entered via the keypad. The user might be shown some intermediate results that aren't interesting, but the numbers displayed in the results fields would always reflect the number currently entered in the input field. An example of this style of processing is the calculator in Windows 10 when it is in the "conversion" mode. To see this in action, bring up the calculator, at the top left, click on the 3 horizontal bars (at the top left), choose something like "Temperature" under the "Converter" category. You will see that the converter has already entered "0" and converted it and as you type it continually converts whatever is shown. It's pretty convenient and should be a simple change to your tool if you like it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, yes, that will be easy to implement.

The thing that really needs changing is the look. It looks different on every, every browser, some okay, some really bad!

Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original topic.

Has anyone done any attempts of "hacking" the protocol of the Nevo box?

I just opened mine. It contains two big ICs, which I could not identify, probably ASICs of some sort. One of those probably dedicated to the WLAN communication. I can make photos if someone wants it.

The IR sending power is quite OK. There are three sending IR-LEDs, and they appear to have 3R3 resistor next to it, meaning pretty much sending current). The same MAC address is used both for WLAN and the wired LAN, which probably means the the wired connection is not really meant to be used.

To take the WLAN "out of the equation", I configured it as "pure access point". I then fired up the package sniffer wireshark, and fired some commands using the Nevo application on an Android tablet.

Unfortunately, I could not make sense of the captured packages. It definitely does not use well-known IRv4, but uses IPv6 (for some of the packets). If there are packages that wireshark misses, or if it is there, possibly encrypted, possibly masqueraded in innocent looking packages is unclear to me.

Sorry. Crying or Very sad
yaworski

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, can you upload the capture file? I would like to take a look.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but I have been playing around a lot with the Broadlink RM Pro.
https://www.amazon.com/Broadlink-Pro-WiFi-Remote-Controller/dp/B01A4ZAEN8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1496023089&sr=8-5&keywords=rm+pro

It has Android Tasker supporting it, and a nice Python lib here:
https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink

The Python lib provides very simple control - I have actually just been learning functions I need, but I am sure y'all could do better Smile

I have personally been moving more of my system to IP-based control, and using this guy to fill in the gaps.

Not using it as my primary remote yet, but here is the remote I made in Tasker:

One of the reasons I (and everyone) hates touchscreen remotes it you have to look at them, but with gestures on top of buttons it isn't so bad. Tap anywhere, pause/play. Swipe up/down volume, left/right 30 seconds skip..
xnappo
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
Barf, can you upload the capture file? I would like to take a look.

Sure. (EDIT: removed file.)The sender (android tablet) is 192.168.1.127 (resolves as "tablets"), the nevo is 192.168.1.9 (resolves as "nevo"). But my gutfeeling is that wireshark somehow has not captured some important packages.

@xnappo:
(This would deserve its own thread.) Interesting. The key question is of course if there is a published API. Do you know it the Github project is based upon official API documentation or reverse engineering?

Last edited by Barf on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@barf started a new thread here and answered your question.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100710
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: