Joined: 01 Aug 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
|Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:50 am Post subject: Don't say "it didn't work" - don't be that guy !!!
|Due to the high number of people who post requesting a Slingbox bin file then don't follow up, once one has been created, to say if it they tried it and whether it worked or not, we will typically wait for a users second post before we start working on creating bin files now for first time posters.
PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
... for loading files into the Slingbox. In the event that the file doesn't work, please DO NOT just post "it didn't work", please post the answers to the questions in the instructions.
People just posting "it didn't work" is the single most frustrating thing about helping Slingbox users and will eventually be the reason that we stop. So PLEASE don't be that guy!!!
1. What model Slingbox do you have?
2. Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button (or selected the file and tapped ‘Continue’ on the M1 & M2)?
3. Did you give the commands plenty of time to react? (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)
4. If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files?
5. After completing the setup do any of the buttons work?
6. If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box that uses an external IR Blaster, have you used a Digital Camera or Mobile Phone Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button? (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster through the viewfinder while you tap a button. You should see a white (not red) flash. Test it on a real remote so you know what you are looking for). If you are using a 350/500/M1/M2 have you tried using the external blaster?
7. Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster? On some devices this is critical so don’t give up too quickly. Try shining a flashlight at the front of the receiver and see if you can see the IR receiver behind the smoked glass.
8. Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote?
9. Are you sure your device is set to use IR ? Many boxes can operate on RF or IR and if it is set to RF then the Slingbox will not affect it.
10. If you have a device that supports multiple remote addresses (DirecTV, Dish Network, Tivo…) are you sure the remote address is set to the default ?
11. Have you tried resetting the Slingbox. ? This has been found to help.
12. Do you have access to a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote? If so let me know.
Please don't PM me with remote questions, post them in the forums so all the experts can help!