JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Learned signal that IR can't analize

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClaudeS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Learned signal that IR can't analize Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up a RS 15-2116 to use with a RCA home theater. It mostly works with Audio code 1609 (available so far on the 15-2116 but not on the 8810) but there are a few other buttons I wanted to add. I tried to use learn and then IR to determine the EFC's (for NEC 133 or NEC1) for the additional buttons, to use in key moves or an upgrade, but while some of the buttons can be done by using the EFC's determined by IR from the learns, other buttons on the same remote absolutely don't work using the EFC's reported by IR. In some cases the 2116 says SUCCESS, but the key won't work. In that case IR.exe says the learned key is NEC 133 and the EFC 088. When the learn DOES work, IR says it can't analize it and includes a GAP 556-16.... after the Nec 133 and EFC 088.
I've posted the file on the diagnostic section as Gameroomrec2.txt. I'm not that experienced with IR and learning so I might be missing something easy here.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude,

It looks like a classic case of weak batteries in the OEM remote or the 2116 or both. Put in new batteries and try again. Also make sure you press the button on the 2116 to be learned TO and get a rapidly flashing led before pressing the OEM remote. Then hold the OEM remote button down until you get the two blinks.

BTW, It IS NEC1:133.106:45 that is device=133, sub-device=106 and OBC=45 EFC=088

AUDIO/1603 is a two-byte protocol and that is why your key moves aren't working. So select the NEC1 Combo protocol, decode the rest of the commands (there are apparently multiple sub-device commands). Put 133 in device and the sub-device in byte two column. KM Master will calculate the two hex bytes. If you are just key moving in IR that will work but you select hex rather than EFC and put a space between the two bytes. In the above example that is A9 4B

If you are doing a device upgrade then copy both the protocol AND device upgrade you can also manually change the protocol ID to $B6 and skip the protocol upgrade, but until KM RM get changed it is probably simpler to copy the protocol upgrade.
ClaudeS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Thanks. The 1609 uses 133:106 for the audio commands, but also 133:154 for the DVD commands like Play (this RCA Home Theater has a built in DVD player). I switched to NEC1 Combo once I started finding the 154 sub device on some keys, but when I did my original post I was still assuming straight NEC1. I haven't been back to where the receiver is to re-test it yet, but both the buttons that were previously working and those that were not working were both sub code 106, but I was just using IR to do the key moves without entering in hex so I guess the 2nd byte was random or something. The 1609 was the first code I've run into that wasn't in upgrade.shtml. Once I get all this working I'd be glad to share all the codes I've learned to save time for the next person, especially since 1609 isn't available on remotes like the 8810. How/where do I post it? Also thanks for the info on learning. The Radio Shack manual doesn't mention any of the waiting for the blinks and it's always taken a few tries to learn each key.....
Claude,
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaudeS wrote:
both the buttons that were previously working and those that were not working were both sub code 106, but I was just using IR to do the key moves without entering in hex so I guess the 2nd byte was random or something.

Right.

ClaudeS wrote:
Once I get all this working I'd be glad to share all the codes I've learned to save time for the next person, especially since 1609 isn't available on remotes like the 8810. How/where do I post it?

If you make a KM upgrade file you should post it in the apropriate device folder in the Yahoo group. If it's a "Home Theater" device, that would be
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Home%20Theater%20Systems/

ClaudeS wrote:
Also thanks for the info on learning. The Radio Shack manual doesn't mention any of the waiting for the blinks and it's always taken a few tries to learn each key.....

I'm not sure which "wait for the blinks" you mean. As soon as you press the 2116 key to learn to, the rapid blinking will start. You should press the OEM remote key as soon as possible at that point and hold until the double blink.

Jon might have seen something I missed in that one bad learn you posted to make him suspect weak batteries. I saw that it was a pretty rotten learn, despite having enough right for the decoder to show the right device, subdevice, obc etc. I didn't notice any detail in the learned signal that tells me why the learning worked so badly. Jon may be right about batteries or you may be holding the two remotes too close or two far appart or failing to aim the IR LED of the OEM remote at the learning LED of the 2116.

Those "gap" decodes are possible even if you get a clean learn and you should ignore them. Since you just want to get the decodes, not keep the learned signals, any NEC decode with the right device number is probably from a good enough learn to trust the decode. A better learn would show the protocol as NEC1 rather than NEC (as shown by the bad sample you uploaded) but whether the decode shows it or not doesn't matter now that you know which protocol to use in the upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: