JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Linux experience with oarusb04g

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooperfed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Linux experience with oarusb04g Reply with quote

First of all, I would like to give a huge *thank you* to the folks who built support in RMIR for the simpleset oarusb04g remote! This remote is really nice, especially with the power of programmability via RMIR!

I ran into the following issues when installing the 1.04 extender for oarusb04g from Fedora Linux:

1. Unable to download from remote via RMIR. It is unable to find the device. However, copying the settings.bin file from the Gnome file manager works just fine.

2. The instructions for setting up the extender in RMIR don't work with the "4000" version of the firmware, which mine came with. If I start from my 4000-based rmir file and try to load the upgrade hex, I get an EEPROM error. However, it worked fine by just loading the extender bin file from the zip file, and building my remote config from scratch from this point. It seems that I don't need to actually use the "4000" version of the settings.bin as a starting point.

3. Copying the settings.bin file onto the remote via USB on Linux simply does not work. I get all kinds of "lost async page write" errors, basically indicating that the device is not accepting the writes. It typically leaves the remote inoperable, and the device seems to try to restore an original copy of the settings.bin file. I have a Windows 8 VirtualBox instance, and copying the settings.bin file via Windows 8 on the same physical machine works just fine!

This is obviously nothing to do with RMIR, but rather the USB mass storage interface with the remote must work strangely enough to break in Linux. I have tried remounting in "sync" mode, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

In any case, this is my first JP1-style remote where I've had a cable for programming, and it is just fantastic! I have found good upgrade files for my devices, which I was able to very easily tweak with missing OBC commands to provide all the functionality I wanted. The biggest thing I gained was support for the Yamaha "combo" upgrade, which has supports all the Yamaha receiver buttons, including the "Info" button which is not available on the OEM remote!

The extender is also amazing, because it has allowed me to turn the Activity buttons into standard macro buttons, plus converting the List button into a Shift key. Macro programming is such a breeze now that I can do it in RMIR. I will be utilizing the additional devices as a next step, now that all my core devices are working perfectly.

So thank you again to this community, and especially the developers of RMIR, as it has really amazed me to see how mature the JP1 ecosystem has become.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for your nice comments on RMIR support for the OARUSB04G and on the extender. If you go to www.simpleset.com you will see that the only choices of OS that they provide are Windows and Mac OS X. UEI does not support Linux for this series of remotes. We don't know what the issues are, but we have been unable to resolve them for RMIR support either. I am glad that nevertheless you have been able to get it all to work on the same machine with your Windows 8 VirtualBox.

In your attempts to upgrade a "4000"-style .rmir file to an extender .rmir file with "Install extender" and the supplied .hex file, I think you may have fallen foul of the recently discovered bug I reported in this thread. I am sorry about that. As you found, there is actually no need to start with an original "4000"-style settings.bin file. The extender provides a complete replacement that you can set up afresh as if it is a new remote. Once the extender is installed, it makes no difference what version of the original remote you started with.

Thank you for posting your experiences. It is always helpful to get feedback, whether things go well or badly or, as in your case, a mixture of both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: