JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodi - Need extra IR keyboard commands for XBMC remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Kodi - Need extra IR keyboard commands for XBMC remote Reply with quote

I have been using an upgrade with functions which replicate those for the MXV S805 using the supplied IR remote
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0108XSWMQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The S805 is a generic Android powered box which usually carries custom installations to suit the XBMC/Kodi app for streaming media.
Kodi itself comes in various versions to suit different OSs for PC TV Tablets and Phones, where it can be controlled by BluTooth.

To use Bluetooth with S805 requires a dongle-receiver, which I have not tried, but have tried bluTooth keyboards with Kodi which was running on an Android Tv.
In that set up a keyboard can use the alphabet functions, including the 'c' function which operates functions in Kodi to bring up useful sub-menus, and the letter functions are themselves useful in on-screen search keyboards for text entry and search.

For IR control of the S805 media box the problem has been that, although there is a digit/symbol/shift button and letter characters do appear as sub-labels on the number buttons of the original IR remote, I cannot get it to to send them, and nor can they be learned for JP1.

The vendor could not help except to ask his supplier. Also I asked if Pronto codes could be provided but he has just been able to pass to me a couple of files containing what appear to be details of the Key Map and a controlling program, which are in the zip file together with JP1 upgrade for S805. The files have titles in a Chinese text and are marked '.config' and '.kl' but are in English and can be opened with a text editor such as Wordpad http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13591

Could the experts determine how IR commands for the letter functions might be generated, or suggest what key combinations might be required with the original remote, and what other information would be needed please?

Last edited by tranx on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you don't get an answer, an easier option would be to simply add an FLIRC dongle. Then you can map any arbitrary IR command to any computer keystroke or combo. That's what most people running Kodi, etc. do.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx,
I don't see any files in the MXV Keyboard Files folder.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
tranx,
I don't see any files in the MXV Keyboard Files folder.
Apologies - I have zipped them again and checked that they are present this time
(PS I removed the Chinese characters and changed the file types to .txt, which might have allowed proper zipping)

Last edited by tranx on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
In case you don't get an answer, an easier option would be to simply add an FLIRC dongle. Then you can map any arbitrary IR command to any computer keystroke or combo. That's what most people running Kodi, etc. do.
Thank you very much. I did not know such a thing existed.
Still trying to avoid buying yet another gadget but it looks tempting Smile and if necessary could certainly resort to FLIRC.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:

Still trying to avoid buying yet another gadget but it looks tempting Smile

Good luck with that Laughing
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranx,
I'm traveling now, but a quick look suggests that there are two modes. One is nec 204.29 as you have found. The other is nec 1.254. The obcs for nec 1.254 are different for some funtions. For example, digit 2 is obc 69 (0x45) using 204.29, but is 13 (0x0e) for 1.254. I think the second mode is entered by sending obc 0 to 1.254. Go back to the usual mode using the Mouse function. Maybe.
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,
Thanks very much. In NEC1 device 204.29, the functions page shows no columns for device and sub-device but I can now try:-
1.) a second NEC1 device, with protocol NEC1 1.254
2.) obc o for entering a second mode, and function 'Mouse' to see what it does.

(Currently in the JP1 remote and NEC1 204.9, the function 'mouse', obc 76, works to bring up a mouse cursor. When the mouse cursor is present on screen, the functions 'left', 'right', 'up', 'down', move the mouse around the screen instead of moving a highlight from one button-sensitive zone to another, which is a sort of 'other mode').
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, using the same obcs with NEC1 1.254, the MXV box does not respond to any buttons.

However I re-discovered that, with NEC1 204.9, obc 73 (set for button '0') works for backspace in Kodi's on screen menus and obc 64 ('menu') does bring up the useful sub-menus, which was the main perceived 'problem' to start with Smile Everything else can also be done just with JP1, except for direct entry of characters using a button for letter/numbers/symbol toggle (digits can already be typed in directly with the number buttons but are not often needed). It just means that the on screen search keyboard needs always to be navigated with direction buttons, which is not so bad.

PS (should I have tried 'nec' 1.254, not 'nec1'...?)
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That done, next for a Sony Android Tv, managed instead to use the program add-on 'keymap Editor' from the Kodi Add-on repository http://fusion.tvaddons.ag This now allows Sony's functions to operate some missing Kodi functions e.g. Sony function '#0' for the 'c'/submenu in Kodi Genesis. In the Editor I still have not identified any individual letter functions, or a function which could bring the mouse cursor to the screen. For the MXV box there is a function 'Mouse' for that and, using a bluetooth keyboard for the Sony Tv, the shift and text buttons work and touching the cursor panel brings up the mouse cursor so it seems a bit odd...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: