JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrade problems (newbie)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcortesi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Upgrade problems (newbie) Reply with quote

I've manged to program my OARUSB04G (is there an abbreviation for this?) to do the basics by manually putting in the codes for my devices, like I've done for every remote I've had for the last 10 years. I downloaded the appropriate RMIR software (version 2.03 build 4) and downloaded the information from my remote to it, no problem.
I've read everything I that seems appropriate about loading upgrades, found what I think is the closest match for my devices and so far had little to no luck with them. For instance; I have a Panasonic TC-PST60 series but could only find an upgrade for the VT series, which should be about the same. I uploaded it and got a lot of useful features, but my power button stopped working. After messing with it I decided to dump that and just learn the commands I needed.
I have an older Yamaha HTR 5890 and when I did search, everyone seemed to suggest that the Yamaha master file #1 would be the best match.
I downloaded that and applied it with basically no results.
What confuses me is that in RMIR under devices it shows 5; my 4 basic devices and the upgrade as a fifth, but under the general tab it only shows the 4. Is this normal?
Hopefully the files I uploaded are the correct ones and someone can spell this out for me. I haven't done a lot with this remote since there's no sense in it at this point. Once I've got one upgrade figured out, I should be on my way, I think.
Another thing I thought I'd be able to do with the JP1 method is build my own macros with out having to go through all the key presses involved with doing it manually. Is this not possible? I see a section for it, but it looks like it would only show what you've saved to the remote, correct?
I apologize if these are dumb questions, and do appreciate any guidance I get.
Here's a link to the raw files I uploaded from RMIR. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13408
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try this yamaha:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5857

and this for the TV:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13358

For macros, just press the new button and start building.

Devices tab can have essentially unlimited devices, but there are only 4 physical buttons on the remote (General tab) to assign them to. You can use commands from any of them in keymoves and macros though.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those upgrades didn't seem to match up very well either. The Yamaha one didn't offer anything I don't already have and the Panasonic was about the same. I might be better off just learning the commands I need from what I can see and the time I've wasted trying to understand it!
The biggest question I have right now is can I alter the Power on/Power off for the activities function? I have a discrete power command for my reciever and right now it's not turning it on, although it does turn off. For some reason the Audio button has been assigned the discrete power on, so I must tap that to get it going.
Sorry for being so thick headed about this. I may not have the time to invest in this method. I still plan to understand it in the end.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activities are designed to use toggles. In RMIR, if you want to use discretes instead, uncheck Power for the appropriate device, go to the Macro tab, click New, and make a macro for the Watch TV button and add whatever key you've mapped discrete on to. It will run after the power macro configured on the Activities tab. That will handle the ON case. For OFF, you'll have to assign the discrete off function to some other button and use it manually.

Alternately, some Yamahas will respond to a power toggle function (HERE). Simply add the new power toggle on the Functions tab and assign to the Power button of your Yamaha #1 device, assuming it works at all. Then the activities should work as is. If the other device is the one that works, we'll have to use a different code. If you learn the power toggle then look at it in RMIR, it will tell you the code to use in the Device upgrade file, then you can delete your learn.

What exactly is missing from the upgrades I linked? They should be pretty close to complete. Did you actually assign the supposed missing functions to buttons on the Layout or Buttons tab?

EDIT: I just noticed the Map for this remote included in the latest RMIR is terrible. I think I did the first one, so my apologies up front, but I didn't leave it in such a bad state. Graham, could you double check and see if you have a later version. Dash and Arrow aren't even mapped in the current version. In the mean time, I'll see if I can find my last known good version.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Panasonic upgrade you linked to didn't have a Netflix or Apps command listed. I found this one to be much closer: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12341
The Yamaha upgrade had nothing I was looking for and nothing i didn't already have, as I recall.
I tried the Panasonic upgrade I listed above and it seems to work fine, then I added some marcros that didn't seem to work out at all. I think I have to do more reading on what I can and can't do!
wcortesi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of a macro I setup that doesn't work: I used power for the bound key, then Audio (which turns on my amp), then TV, power, STB, power, and STB. I did the reverse in shift mode except the power key turns off my amp in that case. That does not seem to work.
I haven't played with the toggle power function. I'm not sure how to use the EFC's in RMIR. Can I just add that in to the functions of my amp by editing under the device tab?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bound key needs to be a free button, like one of the colored buttons, for example. If you use power, that hijacks the power function of the active device or does nothing at all. The Watch TV activity will already do the rest just by checking the boxes and making the correct choices at the bottom. The only thing we need to fix is Audio Power.

Yes, you just edit the device to add the EFC. But the code is different for different versions of the Yamaha device. So we need to know which one you ended up using.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! The code I'm using is 2061 and it says this under protocol: NEC1-f16 Official. I have an upgrade underneath it that is code 2001 and says NEC1.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link to the Yamaha file you started with? The one in your RMIR file makes no sense to me since there are no actual function names.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one. It has 3 files in it and I used the first one.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2099
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I tried that one before and it matches the NEC1 upgrade you're not using, not the NEC1-f16 one. If you really are using that one or the one I posted, then the posted EFC for Power toggle should work fine as is.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should clarify. I think I tried to use it, but ended up learning some functions I needed. So although it's there in the RMIR, I can't say it's compatible. I just went and looked at some of the codes that I use the learning function on and the protocol is listed as NEC1, if that means anything.
On the Panasonic I changed the setup code to match the code I was using and it apparently merged that upgrade. I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that, but it seemed to work...Meanwhile the Yamaha shows up as a separate device.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a relevant conversation discussing the same amp I have: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35631&sid=deb9b9d696b182e84a0366c4dfcb3fba
wcortesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up on the Yamaha for now. I did create a couple of macros to handle the on/off cycles, and they work fine. I've tried to customize some macros for watching Netflix, but that has been less than successful. It wasn't going to Netflix, so I put a dash in the command thinking it would slow it down and now it just turns the TV off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: