JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using JP1 with the Slingbox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Using JP1 with the Slingbox Reply with quote

Alan Richey has just written (3/29/09) a new article describing how to use JP1 to create new BIN files for the Slingbox. This should be considered the most up to date document on how the process works.

The wikified version is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_Custom_Remote_Controls_and_use_them_on_your_Slingbox

PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS

... for loading files into the Slingbox. In the event that the file doesn't work, please DO NOT just post "it didn't work", please post the answers to the questions in the instructions.

People just posting "it didn't work" is the single most frustrating thing about helping Slingbox users and will eventually be the reason that we stop. So PLEASE don't be one of those people.
This thread is locked because this isn't the place to post questions, please either start a new thread or add to an existing one.

The articles below should be considered out of date, but are included for historical reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have written an article that describes the whole process (link below). Things have changed a little on the Slingbox side since I wrote that article because you can no longer edit the SBAV.cfg file, so it's a little out of date:

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/10580/ (archive link)

And another has written the following article. This one accounts for the fact that you cannot edit SBAV.cfg.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/11832/ (archive link)

That should be enough to enable you to use the JP1 tools to create new codes that you can use with your Slingbox.

If you want to create your own "skin" (ie, what the remote looks like on the screen), read this...

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/21989/ (archive link)

Once you've created a new Slingbox upgrade file, you can share it with other Slingbox users by loading it here...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=87

Files in this folder are "ready to go", you don't need to use the JP1 tools to use these files, you just download them to your SBAV folder, and go.

Hava
There is a Slingbox-like device called Hava that uses files that are the same format as the Slingbox files. So, if you don't find a JP1 file for the device that you want to have your Slingbox control, check the following Hava forum as there might be one there that you can use. (Note: the Hava forum has long since been deleted, but there is an archive link below, just in case you can find something useful there).

http://www.myhava.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 (archive link)

FOR MAC USERS:
The implementation to load the user supplied bin file is there in the Mac build. The Setup Assistant picks up the user supplied bin file and it works perfectly.

The user should copy the bin file inside the Setup Assistant package:

SlingPlayer.app\Contents\Slingbox
Setup Assistant.app\Contents\Resources\SBAV

Once the bin file is copied in this directory, user can start Setup Assistant’s Audio/Video setup and follow the AV setting. In the Model page, he/she should select “Other” and in the IR code page, user should enter the IR code corresponding to the bin file (e.g. One should enter V1125 if the bin file is V1125_PL.bin).

The bin file should be compatible to the Slingbox IR Blaster chip. So for US 1.0, AV and Pro boxes, the bin files should have “PL” suffix (eg. S1234_PL.bin). For UK boxes 1.5/1.6, the bin file should have “RV” suffix (eg. S1234_RV.bin).

Also, be sure to quit SlingPlayer and the Slingbox Setup Assistant before copying the file into the SBAV folder.

You can verify your IR blaster version in the Slingbox Properties dialog.

1=JU
2=PL
3=PK
4=RV
5=PL (Slingbox Pro-HD)

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am; edited 17 times in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that may cause problems.

It is critical that you do not change the name of the .bin file.

The name is tied to the device type and setup code used when creating the upgrade file. If you change the name, the Slingbox will reject the file because of the inconsistency between the name and the internal device type and setup code.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the newer software, when you select "other" a box appears under the list marked "Alternative code" that you type your number into. It won't show up in the list.

Here are some threads with some information.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7095#49394
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=51710#51710
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50884#50884
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of the document is now at

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_Custom_Remote_Controls_and_use_them_on_your_Slingbox
fbormann

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: RMIR: 'Export Binary Upgrade' missing from Advanced menu Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to follow the process of creating a new Slingbox remote, outlined in the documents referenced here. I believe, I have managed to enter all the required codes into RemoteMaster correctly, however, I am faced with the problem that the 'Export Binary Upgrade' entry is missing in the Advanced menu of my RemoteMaster copy (and so is the import entry).

Is there anything special I have to do in RemoteMaster to activate these menu entries? Or have they been removed or moved to a different location in recent versions of RemoteMaster?

I am using the most recent version, v2.03alpha28build13, downloaded from Tools/Main in the files section. OS is Windows 8.1.

Thanks,
Frank
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean actually missing, or just greyed out ? I know the Export gets greyed out until you have saved the RMDU file but I have never heard the Import missing.

But this is not really a SLingbox issue, you would be better off posting in the Software Tools section of the forum.
fbormann

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
Do you mean actually missing, or just greyed out ? I know the Export gets greyed out until you have saved the RMDU file but I have never heard the Import missing.

No, it is actually missing. I'll make a couple of screenshots later tonight about exactly what I am trying to do. If my power ever comes back here in Toronto... Smile

Quote:
But this is not really a SLingbox issue, you would be better off posting in the Software Tools section of the forum.

Thanks, Alan. Will do.
fbormann

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] 'Export Binary Upgrade' missing from Advanced menu Reply with quote

fbormann wrote:
alanrichey wrote:

No, it is actually missing. I'll make a couple of screenshots later tonight about exactly what I am trying to do. If my power ever comes back here in Toronto... :)

Quote:

Thanks, Alan. Will do.

Never mind. I found it. You might want to mention in the Slingbox guide to choose File->New->Device Upgrade instead of just clicking the "New" Button like I initially did. That apparently created a Remote Image and then Export Binary Upgrade is indeed missing from that Advanced menu (which apparently is a completely different menu).

Two additional questions if I may. The guide mentions for Slingbox Pro-HD the remote chip type is JB. I don't see a Slingbox JB entry in the list of remotes. What I am seeing is

Slingbox - fake RDF
Slingbox with UEI Axum chip
Slingbox with UEI JU chip
Slingbox with UEI PK chip
Slingbox with UEI PL chip
Slingbox with UEI RV chip

The guide also mentions PL and JB being compatible. So would PL be the correct setting for a Pro-HD?

And what about the newer Slingboxes (Slingbox 350 and M1)? What would be the correct chip type for them? Axum?

Thanks,
Frank
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think you haven't set it up correctly, that sounds like the behaviour of RMIR, where that option you describe opens up RM. I have it set up so it opens up immediately into RM. But as you have it working now that's fine.

As for the BIN extensions, there are now only 2 in current use. The RV is for very old European Solos which I occasionally get asked for. Every other Slingbox uses the PL file. The Axum is for a completely different box called the Vulkano (http://myvulkano.com/products.html) which uses the same principle as the Slingbox but uses a different IR chipset called the Axum chip. I very rarely get asked for that as Monsoon, unlike Sling, work with their customers to produce custom remotes themselves.
fbormann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
OK, I think you haven't set it up correctly, that sounds like the behaviour of RMIR, where that option you describe opens up RM. I have it set up so it opens up immediately into RM. But as you have it working now that's fine.

It seems to be two different modes essentially. Remote Image mode and Device Upgrade mode. And the menu items change completely depending on what "New" option you choose. Come to think of it, it would seem that the Remote Image mode covers functionality also found in ir.exe. Such as upload/download from/to remote etc. So, I'm guessing ir.exe is in the process of being integrated into RemoteMaster? With ir being the default mode.

Quote:
The Axum is for a completely different box called the Vulkano (http://myvulkano.com/products.html) which uses the same principle as the Slingbox but uses a different IR chipset called the Axum chip. I very rarely get asked for that as Monsoon, unlike Sling, work with their customers to produce custom remotes themselves.

Hmm, looks like, I have a new box to try now. If I could get my hands on one. Except for the Flow, these seem to be out of stock pretty much everywhere I try. Wikipedia also claims there is an import ban into the US, might have something to do with it. Are the Vulkano boxes more easily available in the UK/Europe?
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. I got a BETA one given to me in the USA when they were released a few years ago. Set it up in my wife's cousin's house where it still works OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: