JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nothing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldsports

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG - I checked everything you suggested and it is just the way you described it (USB Serial Port (COM3), "The device is working properly", Serial Enumerator is checked, Driver FTDI Version 2.12.0.0).

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I downloaded the driver from the FTDI site, there were two choices - VCP and D2XX. The site explained that VCP created a virtual communications port while D2XX allowed the device to be accessed by DLL calls. I downloaded both drivers but they appeared to be the same file because they had the same name (CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe) and they were the same size (2.13MB). I don't recall which version of the drivers I installed because I assumed they were the same. Do you see this as an issue?
oldsports

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more piece of information... I tried changing the COM port numbers of the devices to see if that would help. No matter what number I gave my normal serial port, RMIR would see it. Conversely, RMIR never saw my USB serial port regardless of what number I gave it (I tried COM1, COM3 and COM5). Still puzzled why Device Manager reports the device as working OK but RMIR cannot see it. Appreciate any additional insights.
oldsports

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Resolved!! Reply with quote

I found the issue with my cable!! Apparently, I must have a fake FTDI device. I did some research on the Internet and found out that the FTDI driver I installed (2.12.0.0) bricks fake FTDI devices by setting their PID to "0000".

I found a website (https://ljck.org/unbrick_ftdi) that explains the situation and how to "unbrick" the device. Essentially, I had to get an older version of the driver (2.10.0.0) that does not brick fake devices, modify the PID in the .inf files from "6001" to "0000" and then install the modified driver. This fixed the COM issue and allows RMIR to see the COM port and download from my remote!

I can keep using it this way but the cable will only work on computers that have the modified driver installed. Since I only plan to use it on one computer, I am OK for now. However, the permanent fix is to reset the PID in the device. The website outlines a process using FTDI's FT_PROG program. It looks fairly simple, but the website warns that this process could further brick the device. I'm thinking that if that happens, I could simply re-load the 2.12.0.0 driver to set the PID back to "0000" and start over. I will report back if I try this.

If it would be helpful, I am happy to post the 2.10.0.0 driver for others to download. Thanks for all of the help!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FTDI site provides versions 2.10.0.0 and 2.08.0.0, so it isn't obvious to me that uploading a copy to this site has much value-- at least until FTDI removes the archive support. BTW, based on published reports, if a user allows Windows to search the Web for the appropriate drivers, the Microsoft version of the drivers will be used. These Microsoft drivers are said to have been rolled back to ones which don't break the counterfeit chips. Haven't tried it myself, though.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you posted a link to the cable you bought so we know which one to avoid.

Thanks
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, I am using this low-cost Chinese USB to serial cable that works fine with JP1.3 and JP2 and with the URC-8820 5-pin socket connector. I am using official drivers from the FTDI website. The usb connector has Tx and Rx leds.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602
oldsports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruidosobruce - I purchased my cable from eBay as well although I don't remember from whom. However, my cable looks exactly like yours and even has the same wire colors. I guess my supplier gets his supply from folks who are using counterfeit FTDI chips.

Just to be sure - when you say that you are using the FTDI drivers, can you confirm that you are using Version 2.12.0.0? That is the most recent version I found on the website and it gave me trouble. The older version (2.10.0.0) worked fine. From what I understand, if you are using Version 2.12.0.0 without issue, you must have a legitimate FTDI chip. Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really helpful if you could check your purchase history and post the link to that bad cable.
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the latest FTDI driver for OS X which is v2_2_18 but the actual release date for that driver was 2012-08-10. System Report identifies the USB cable as FT232R Product ID 6001, Vendor ID 0403.
oldsports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mdavej - Finally found the link to my eBay purchase of the USB cable: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-USB-TO-TTL-RS232-Arduino-Cable-/360812768962?

The seller is eddiestore2008. Hope this is helpful.
oldsports

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruidosobruce - Thanks for the post about the FTDI driver you are using. My Windows-centric mind did not consider the fact that you could be using a different OS!!
oldsports

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Just to complete the story, I decided to try to reset my counterfeit FTDI device's PID back to 6001 using the FT_PROG program. I followed the instructions on the https://ljck.org/unbrick_ftdi website and it worked. Next, I installed the device on my computer with the original FTDI 2.10.0.0 device driver and this worked as well. Finally, I tested it using RMIR and a JP1.3 remote and everything is OK! I am good to go as long as I don't upgrade the driver.
shameer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I want to build a connector cable specifically to backup and load a urc 7960 remote. The version is JP 1.4 I believe. It is not possible to get the ftdi cable where I live. But I can get USB rs232 adapters here. But my problem is the adapter has no RTS pin but only DTR. The adapter is based on ftdi FT232RL ic . Will it work?
shameer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another PCB which seems to have RTS pin. Kindly reply which one will be bettet for OFA URC-7960
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much better to have RTS, especially for JP1.4 and newer remotes. However, for JP2 remotes-- which use the MAXQ microprocessors--it seems that a FTDI chipset is necessary. The 7960 is a JP1.4, so just about any RS-232 adapter will work if it can send RTS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: