JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

H900 Marcos/Newbie's 1st Extender with RCA & Atlas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Patch for v302 pause Reply with quote

CORRECTION TO OCAP1056 extender -- please see my Feb 18 post.
Apologies......
Tom

I uploaded a zipped patch -- my RCRP05B is ok with it, but I don't have an OCAP to test, and don't know whether the 1055/1056 code has any conflicts with it. Also an RMIR with a macro using pauses....

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13177

Tom

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I downloaded your patch but before I try it, I wanted to make sure it's intended to fix the problems I was having with pause and extender 3.02 with my Atlas. From your readme, it seems like the patch is focused on interrupting the pause. My impressions are that the problems I was having were more basic. I couldn't get pause to work in a simple global macro, never mind interrupting it.

Also, you remind us to use the latest RDF. The latest I have is the one that came with V3.02, edited to remove "offending" spaces. Is that the one we should be using?

Thanks!

Ed
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, and Bruce too if you are still following, just curious how your Atlas IR strength is?

Prior to getting on this forum with help originally from mdavej, I had been using a H900 RF. I have been using my extended RCA for a while now. It's certainly not RF forgiving, but the IR seemed very functional, not bad at all.

After extending and programing my Atlas just right (I wanted backlit buttons), I have used it exclusively now for 5 days. I thought the Atlas had a significantly less forgiving IR strength initially.

I just went back to my RCA after exclusively using the Atlas during this time. My long term comparison confirms my initial impression.

My TV IR window is about 2 ft. left of center, and the highest. My Cable box is about a foot lower center, and my Apple TV is maybe 8" below that centered. From about 8' away the RCA is very functional, only requiring more or less pointing in the right direction, where my Atlas is quite fussy about how it is pointed.

Have you noticed this on your Atlas?
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
You will also need the latest RemoteMaster.v2.03Alpha28build10.zip or the update version which is smaller but does have the latest 3X-- RDFs (the spaces are gone and there are a couple other changes to protocol section).

Make sure to look at the Readme.txt file in JP1.3 Extender V3.02 Distribution.zip, particularly the 'Installation' and 'Pause' sections. It's a good idea to start with a clean remote, load the extender and then customize as desired.

This patch has replacement hex files, do not use the ones that are in the v3.02 Distribution file. The only change I made is to the call to the pause routine. The idea of keypress interrupt is that a longish pause can be overriden.

Note that you are supposed to add a pause function in the 'special functions' section and assign it a duration and a key, or phantom key. Then in the macro, you just insert that key along with other commands, and the software runs your pause.
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Patch for v302 pause - addendum Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, see my example RMIR file regarding pauses.

I cannot remember how forgiving the OCAP was for aiming and distance, but my RCRP is good out to about 30 feet. Closer up, I can point it almost anywhere (wall, forehead, cat....) and get good results.

Possibly the isssue is some other interference, also the backlights probably do cut the strength of the IR beam.
Tom
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sti,

I must say that, after using both the Atlas OCAP and the RCRP05B, the RCA has a noticeably larger "window". I use the RCA in my living room. It controls 5 components over an area of about 20 sq. ft., with the TV and receiver in the center and components on shelves alongside the TV and receiver. The RCA works quite will for me in that range; my components seldom miss a command when I aim it at the center of the area.

I use my Atlas outside on my patio, where I have three components within approximately 10 sq. ft. The satellite receiver and audio receiver are stacked on a shelf about 3 ft. above the TV; the IR receiver on the TV is on the bottom right of the TV. When I use the Atlas, my audio receiver routinely misses commands, to the point where I've decided to buy an IR extender for it.

Tom,

I understand your instructions and may give your patch a try, although I must admit I had a struggle with V3.02 awhile back and I'm happy with how V2.11 (not the common extender) is working for me. I'm a bit hesitant to fix what ain't broke. Laughing

I'm pretty sure I'm invoking the pause properly -- it works just fine on my RCA -- but I will look at your file to see if I can pick up any tips. One thing I've learned not to do us use any of the "weird" buttons as if they were phantoms, like button3F and the like. The Atlas seems more fussy about those buttons than the RCA.

Thanks!

Ed
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally found the Atlas a little big and clunky, so I wound up not using it very much.

I turned to a Charter URC-1060BC3 remote, bought on eBay for $4. It is a MaxQ remote, and I relied on a lot of detective work and help from 3FG and Mathdon, to get it going, but now it is working great. That thread is here.

It is a very nice remote, with many colorful, easy to navigate buttons, laid out much like the Atlas, but smaller overall. It isn't backlit, but I found I wasn't actually using backlight anyway.

It must have a very powerful IR signal, because I don't even have to point it at my Vizio or Mac Mini; I can bounce the signal off the wall or ceiling.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. I put this in the Marketplace as well so it doesn't get lost.
sti491

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, so you like your $4 Charter URC-1060BC3 better than your RCA-RCRP05B?

Where is the extender located for it? I didn't see it in the file section... I'll look again, maybe under another name?
ruidosobruce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't an extender for the URC-1060BC3 yet, although I haven't found much need for one. It has so many buttons, including four color buttons for activities, that it works fine in my TV/Audio/Dish/DVD/Apple system. I do like it better than the RCA, partly because it is a light silver color with colorful buttons, so it's wife approved and easy to operate. I also have an OARUSB04G SimpleSet which I don't like. I guess everyone has their own favorites.

Edit: FWIW, This remote has key-move capability, and my first approach was to key-move the Audio volume and input buttons and put Apple on the AUX button.

But later, I found that it worked much better for me to key-move the 7 Apple buttons and leave Audio on the AUX button.
sti491

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm, I think I am addicted to the fast macro execution of extended remotes Bruce! I have several macros, 2 quite long ones, that I use frequently.

I like the look of that remote. The 1056B01 is kind of big and clunky compared to the RCA, and I am finding the IR performance is very different, with the back lit Atlas inferior, unfortunately.

So I'm probably looking for something that does't exist: a back-lit, nice ergonomics, extended, strong IR & wide signal, cheap JP1 remote! Hahahaha, I don't want much, do I?

I may resolve by getting used to using the RCA in the dark by memory/feel. Use my Atlas as back-up. I still have another Atlas coming from the E-bay seller to see if a different one might have stronger IR.... but from comments from others here, it doesn't sound like it.
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Error in OCAP extender file Reply with quote

I managed to scrounge an OCAP for testing and found that I had an incorrect call address. Please ignore the Feb 17 post, download and use this patch with the correction:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13177
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: