JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to Upload Codes ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: How to Upload Codes ? Reply with quote

Ok I guess I should refine my question since there are no responses ...LoL
This is my first attempt to program the remote using RMIR via the FTDI cable.

Should I program my RCRP05BR first with the known device codes and then use the RMIR/FTDI cable to change anything that I require or is there a way that the codes are already listed pertaining to my devices that I can upload to the remote ?

For this test remote I will be programming it for a:

1. LG 26LG30 HDTV
2. Toshiba SD7200 DVD Player
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to Upload Codes ? Reply with quote

EdT wrote:
...is there a way that the codes are already listed pertaining to my devices that I can upload to the remote ?
1. LG 26LG30 HDTV
Yes, you can usually find suitable upgrade files (.rmdu files) which people have posted in the upgrade section of the file section here. Most brands stick to a particular IR format so that similar models will often suit. The advantage is that upgrades often already include commands or discrete commands (e.g. for input or power) which are not available with the original remote or included in a code. There is also plenty of info about available commands, EFCs etc. provided by the look up tool.
EdT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Upload Codes ? Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
EdT wrote:
...is there a way that the codes are already listed pertaining to my devices that I can upload to the remote ?
1. LG 26LG30 HDTV
Yes, you can usually find suitable upgrade files (.rmdu files) which people have posted in the upgrade section of the file section here. Most brands stick to a particular IR format so that similar models will often suit. The advantage is that upgrades often already include commands or discrete commands (e.g. for input or power) which are not available with the original remote or included in a code. There is also plenty of info about available commands, EFCs etc. provided by the look up tool.

Thanks for responding.
I tried setting the Device Codes and uploading it to the remote and that seemed to have worked, but I don't understand how some of these files I downloaded from the update section are in txt format. How do I convert these txt files into rmdu format and upload them to the remote ?

It seems like it is easiest to just program the remote with the keys themselves and then use RMIR to just touch-up whatever else I want to customize that is not available with just the remote's keypad ...am I missing something here ? I mean I would have to try and upload all the codes for my LG HDTV just to see which one would work or provide the most functions, so I don't see the point of using RMIR to test out these device codes to see which one best suits my devices.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdT wrote:
I don't understand how some of these files I downloaded from the update section are in txt format. How do I convert these txt files into rmdu format and upload them to the remote ?

The .txt files were produced using a predecessor of RM (RemoteMaster) called KM (KeymapMaster). RMIR and RM can load these files directly, without conversion, but if you then save them they will be saved in the .rmdu format native to RM.
EdT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
EdT wrote:
I don't understand how some of these files I downloaded from the update section are in txt format. How do I convert these txt files into rmdu format and upload them to the remote ?

The .txt files were produced using a predecessor of RM (RemoteMaster) called KM (KeymapMaster). RMIR and RM can load these files directly, without conversion, but if you then save them they will be saved in the .rmdu format native to RM.

Are these files remote specific because when I try to load them they specify it is for a certain remote or do they work with all JP1 remotes ?

How can I see the devices that I programmed via the remote in RMIR ? they don't seem to show up as separate rmdu device files, only the Device Codes shows up in the General tab. I would like to save these separate devices I programmed manually as rmdu files so I can upload to another new remotes or post to the forum's repository.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all of our files work on any JP1 remote. Just pick your model in the list on the main tab.

Preprogrammed codes can't be converted directly to device upgrades on your model remote. Forget about those codes and just start with a similar model upgrade that you find in our file section.

I'd try these to start:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6325

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3171
EdT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Nearly all of our files work on any JP1 remote. Just pick your model in the list on the main tab.

Preprogrammed codes can't be converted directly to device upgrades on your model remote. Forget about those codes and just start with a similar model upgrade that you find in our file section.

I'd try these to start:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6325

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3171

Thanks for the reply.

This seems more difficult than programming via the keyboard, for example I was not able to find one LG device file that contained the simple Dash(-) function so basically it is wait and see until someone whose more knowledgeable comes out with a more complete LG rmdu file.

Would it be possible to extract the Dash(-) or other functions out of a Learned key from the original remote ?
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it be possible to extract the Dash(-) or other functions out of a Learned key from the original remote ?

Sorry to butt in, but every now and then a question comes up here that I can answer. Laughing

Yep. That's exactly how it's done. If you have the OEM remote, then you can learn the code for "-" with your RCA remote and add it to the upgrade you're using. Then, since you've added something to the upgrade, it would be helpful to others if you posted your upgrade.
EdT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to butt in, but every now and then a question comes up here that I can answer. Laughing

Yep. That's exactly how it's done. If you have the OEM remote, then you can learn the code for "-" with your RCA remote and add it to the upgrade you're using. Then, since you've added something to the upgrade, it would be helpful to others if you posted your upgrade.

I just tried that, I can get the OBC and Hex from a Learned code, but how do you get the EFC ?

I will post upgrades once I get a hang on this, not too many device files made specifically for the RCRP05BR yet.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just tried that, I can get the OBC and Hex from a Learned code, but how do you get the EFC ?

If you paste either OBC, Hex, or EFC into RM, RM will calculate the other two. You should also get the protocol and device information, which should verify agrees with the other codes you found in the existing upgrade.
EdT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Quote:

If you paste either OBC, Hex, or EFC into RM, RM will calculate the other two. You should also get the protocol and device information, which should verify agrees with the other codes you found in the existing upgrade.

Ok, I get this for the two samples I captured from Learning:

TV Input 24 38277 NEC1-f16 4 91 2F OBC2=244
TV Dash 24 38277 NEC1-f16 4 95 ED OBC2=183

When I enter the OBC for protocol NEC1 in RM I get this instead:

input toggle 00235 235 91 25
dash (-) 00234 234 95 05

How do you determine what the Setup Code 0000 is in RM ? The Setup Code 1423 works quite well for this TV.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'm already getting in over my head, so I'll tell you what I'd do, then step aside and let one of the experts chime in. That way, I'll stand to learn something too.

It looks like you should be using protocol NEC1-f16 in RM, not NEC1. I'll assume that's the same protocol used in the .rmdu upgrade file that you've found other usable codes in. If it's not, then I'm not sure how the codes in this upgrade file are working for you.

So, if you open the file containing the rest of the functions that do work in RM and confirm that the protocol and any other setup information matches the learned signal, then go to the Functions tab and add each of the missing functions, one line each. I like to name these functions with the label on the OEM remote. RM will include a column for OBC2, and you can enter the learned OBC2 numbers there. RM should fill in the rest of the data.

Your next step would be to map all the functions to buttons on your remote, and save the resulting upgrade for use in RMIR. You could also do all the work in RMIR in the first place.

The setup code is largely arbitrary. I'd just use the same code assigned in the upgrade file you downloaded.

I've done this several times like this, and it's worked for me, but, as I said, you may have more difficult problems, so I'll step aside.

Good luck!

Ed
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LG TVs generally use NEC1 device 4. I've never seen a valid decode of NEC1-f16 from a LG. Here's a tip about learning signals for use in an upgrade: make sure that the learned signal actually controls the component. My guess is that these two learns wouldn't actually cause the TV to respond, from which you would be able to infer that the learns weren't good enough. Until you have working learns, there isn't much point to downloading into RMIR.

LG has over the years been pretty good about including the IR codes in the users manual. So I downloaded the manual for your TV, and dash is shown as function number 4C. That's in hexadecimal notation; converting to decimal (4*16+12) gives OBC 76. Input is shown as 0B or 11 decimal. Enter those into the Device Upgrade Editor (along with the rest of the functions) and make sure to assign all the functions to buttons.

BTW, LG Master File with USB hacks shows dash as OBC 76.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: