JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Returning JP1 user- Need new JP1 cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Returning JP1 user- Need new JP1 cable Reply with quote

Hello

I worked with JP1 way back in 2008. I got away from it, but now I am back working with an Inteset INT-422. I lost my cable and have a new PC with no parallel port.

I purchased a cable from http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602 as recommended in another post. Now I look and see delivery will not be until January. I wanted to work with the remote over Christmas.

Can someone recommend another JP1.3 USB cable I could have delivered before Christmas?
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine here: http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables.html

I've had it for just over a year and it's worked fine. You need to do a bit of research here to be sure you don't plug it into the upside down.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I got mine here: http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables.html

I've had it for just over a year and it's worked fine. You need to do a bit of research here to be sure you don't plug it into the upside down.

May I ask which one did you buy?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it is better to get a FTDI version. Either flash cable will work with your Inteset, but if you get a JP2 remote later, probably the non-FTDI one won't work.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't remember which one I bought! Laughing

I think it was the "flash" one. I'm not even sure how to tell the difference.

It does seem like getting the FTDI model is better. 3FG is an expert!
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
IMO, it is better to get a FTDI version. Either flash cable will work with your Inteset, but if you get a JP2 remote later, probably the non-FTDI one won't work.

Done. Thank you for the recommendation.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the cable yesterday. Installed RMIR, rdf files, maps. I think all that looks right.

Installing the driver did not go as directed in the documentation from DIYGadget. Although the driver installed without incident from both their driver file and another time by Windows Update, both times it did not indicate as per their documentation. The documentation says that the device should look like this in device manager-

Mine does not show "Prolific". Here is mine below

Does this matter?

Lastly- I would give it a shot, but I am afraid to plug in the cable to the JP1 port on the Inteset INT-422 remote as none of the holes on the JP1 cable plug are numbered. Could I brick the remote?[/img]
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the situation correctly, you've ordered and, based on the info in Device Manager, received a cable based on the FTDI chipset. That's good. Regardless of the DIY documentation, we shouldn't expect a FTDI chipset to show up in Device Manager as the Prolific chipset. So I imagine that the driver installation has gone just fine.

Over the years, I think most of us have occasionally attached a cable backwards. Typically no harm is done, but people have sometimes bricked their remote. It is really difficult to know if any of the bricks were caused by a backwards cable connection. I do recommend that you have a magic marker handy when you do hook up the cable the first time. Mark the #1 cable position as soon as you know it.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've oriented mine incorrectly a couple times with no ill effects. When I first connect the cable, I download the remote's configuration. If the cable is oriented wrong, IR or RMIR won't be able to see the remote and will complain. I'm not sure what would happen if I had oriented it incorrectly and tried to upload a file to the remote. I'm not going to try!

The DIY site has a forum. If you go there and select the topic on JP1 remotes, there is a thread where they post a picture of the connector and an explanation of how to determine where pin 1 is. I wish they'd just label it.

Ed
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement and tips, guys.

I am getting somewhere. You were correct, Ed. I connected up the cable to the remote one way and RMIR complained saying it did not find a remote. When connected to the other way and try to download from the remote I got "no rdf matches signature starting 3494". I read several posts about this message, but have so far not figured out how to fix it. Any tips?

The remote is an Inteset INT-422 remote. And yes, the cable is from DIRGadgets.com- JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) USB Cable for Universal Remotes (FTDI Chip).

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you don't have the inset rdf, or you didn't put the RDF in the correct folder. I went to the file section and found the rdf in the rdfs under development.
34943494 rdf
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12748

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- I think I have it. While reading other posts I noticed statements about the rdf or maps possibly missing. Checking File>New>Remote Image I saw no listing for this remote. I checked the file section here and found the correct files and placed them in the rdf and maps directories, respectively.

Now I no longer get the message and am able to download the the remote to RMIR.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
It sounds like you don't have the inset rdf, or you didn't put the RDF in the correct folder. I went to the file section and found the rdf in the rdfs under development.
34943494 rdf
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12748

She seems to be downloading fine. Under the general tab all the devices are listed, but when I click on any of them and try to Edit Device I cannot not. Any reason they would be locked out?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't edit built-in devices, only ones you create yourself or load from upgrade files on this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: