JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 8206 (Xsight Colour) crashed screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: URC 8206 (Xsight Colour) crashed screen Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I thought you might be able to help me solving my problem.
I recently changed my settings for my Xsight Colour in the EZ-RC software. After changing, the remote control is acting really strange. All the buttons on the screen are highly pixelated and there is no text on the buttons.
When I connect my RC through USB, EZ-RC tells me to update the firmware of the RC but nothing changes after the update. Also the Power- and OK button upgrade trick wouldn't help. I attached an image to make my story a bit more clear. I still was able to find my version info with some buttonguessing:

Firmware: 1.3.3.2
Bootloader: 1.0.2
IR blaster: 3201AX7

Does anyone know a possible fix? Thanks in advance!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a factory reset. It's not documented in the manual but here is how to do it. Scroll through the Home menu to find Settings, and select it. Scroll through that to find Reset and select it. You get a screen with a message at the top saying "Press below to reset" and a button marked Reset. Do NOT press that button. Instead enter 981 from the keypad. The button name will change to Factory Reset. Press THAT button.

If you cannot read the buttons, which may well be the case, Settings is the last entry on the Home menu and Reset is the last entry on the Settings menu, so just scroll till you are sure you should be at the end of each list and then select it.

I have no idea what can have caused your problem and so have no confidence that this will have any effect, but it is worth a try.
voodi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.

I managed to do the factory reset. Too bad the rc is only restarting and starting just like normal. Also while starting, normally you would see the Xsight logo, but it's just all blank after it crashed.

Is there no way to access the RC via USB and for example, delete the whole firmware on it?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only update the firmware via EZ-RC. You can't delete the firmware.

I had something similar happen to one of my Xsights and could not recover. I suspect it's a hardware failure. Luckily you can get a replacement for around $20 US on ebay.
voodi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, first of all, thanks for helping me.

I e-mailed the customer support of some company that had vague relations with this remote.

They told me the rc was still in the upgrade mode.
I had to press the Power, 1 and 3 buttons while putting back the battery in.
Then I connected to PC and the firmware upgraded succesfully...

Now it is fully working again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. Glad it worked out. If you don't mind, I'm going to repost this procedure for exiting upgrade mode a few other places. Thanks for the follow up.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really useful info - I have seen other people with this issue around the 'net - though I don't remember where.

xnappo
Stanomatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the middle of an update to the XSight and the screen went dead. I tried some of these standing on my head, one eye closed, pressing power, 1,3 and whistling to bring the remote back to life and nothing.

I was really excited to see JP1 programming for this model and wanted to update the remote before getting started. Browsing for fixes I realized that I should have put my Windows 8.1 IE in IE7 mode before the update.

If anyone knows how to attach a defibrillator to it to bring it back from the dead I would appreciate the advice.

Stanomatic
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this slightly different procedure (holding power and ok then inserting the battery):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/1157746-acoustic-research-xsight-remote-22.html#post29454130

Also, make sure battery is good.

And, I've had Windows updates break the registry fix, so change it again before you reconnect:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14804

What may be happening is that without the reg fix in 8.1, communications are interrupted in the middle of a firmware update or upload.
Stanomatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mdavej,

Wow, at least I now have it turning back on. Thank you so much mdavej.

The issue I have now is every time I plug in the remote I see "Upgrade Mode" on first line then "USB Connected" for two seconds then it changes to "USB not connected" and stays that way. I pull out the USB plug and plug back in and same thing. I tried three different cables.

I have Win 8.1. I changed the registry as instructed EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled = 0 for my HID device.

I changed my IE 10 browser to IE 7 through dev tools.

The battery was good and I had no issue with it.

So, I am leaning towards it still might be a brick. Possibly the download before I had changed my IE10 settings made it corrupt. I also researched on the Internet to find a similar situation but no luck.

Thank you again,
Stanomatic
Stanomatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mdavej,

All is good. Instead of trying three cables I never thought of trying another USB plug. I pluged it in another port and the device stayed connected.

Uploaded the latest firmware. ALL IS GOOD.

Now time to study / download all the files and start playing with this remote.

Thank you again,
Stanomatic
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: