JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA RCRP05BR JP1.3 Learning Minix Remote Codes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRP05BR JP1.3 Learning Minix Remote Codes Reply with quote

I just got myself a RCA RCRP05BR remote hoping that I could learn the stock Minix remote on to it. The remote accepts the code with the 2 blinks on the mode key, but the key has no effect on the Minix box. Is there a way to learn the stock remote codes onto the RCRP05BR without having to get the special cable ? Any help on this would be grateful.

This is the Minix stock remote I want to learn it to:

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning procedure is in the manual, 975 if I recall.
EdT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Learning procedure is in the manual, 975 if I recall.

Yes, I tried it a dozen times. It accepts the code confirmed with two blinks, but does not have any effect. It worked for learning my TV and DVD just not for this remote.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you learned your TV and DVD, you've probably run out of learning memory. Lets try to get those working with codes so you'll have room for the Minix learns. What models are they?
EdT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If you learned your TV and DVD, you've probably run out of learning memory. Lets try to get those working with codes so you'll have room for the Minix learns. What models are they?

Ok, finally got it to work. Looks like I was using the wrong keying sequence.
You mean for the Minix, I have all the models from G4 to X8-H Plus.
Thanks for the prompt attention !

In your opinion if I was to purchase several more remotes, would you recommend the RCRP05BR over the Dish Network 21.1 remote ?, both cost the same for $7.00usd.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdT wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Ok, finally got it to work. Looks like I was using the wrong keying sequence.
You mean for the Minix, I have all the models from G4 to X8-H Plus.
Thanks for the prompt attention !

In your opinion if I was to purchase several more remotes, would you recommend the RCRP05BR over the Dish Network 21.1 remote ?, both cost the same for $7.00usd.
Minix looks interesting. I never heard of it before.

I meant your TV and DVD models so we can replace those learns with codes and free up a lot of memory. But if it ain't broke ...

Dish remote doesn't hold a candle to the RCA in terms of programability. You haven't even scratched the surface yet. I highly recommend you also spend $7 on a programming cable to unlock this remote's full potential and greatly simplify programming.

On the other hand, however limited programming-wise the Dish remote is, it does have some advantages like RF and backup/restore over IR. Depends on what you intend to do. If the other rooms only have a TV and a Dish box, may as well stick with the Dish remote. If a room has several devices, RCA will be best.
EdT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Minix looks interesting. I never heard of it before.

I meant your TV and DVD models so we can replace those learns with codes and free up a lot of memory. But if it ain't broke ...

Dish remote doesn't hold a candle to the RCA in terms of programability. You haven't even scratched the surface yet. I highly recommend you also spend $7 on a programming cable to unlock this remote's full potential and greatly simplify programming.

On the other hand, however limited programming-wise the Dish remote is, it does have some advantages like RF and backup/restore over IR. Depends on what you intend to do. If the other rooms only have a TV and a Dish box, may as well stick with the Dish remote. If a room has several devices, RCA will be best.

Please entice me on what awesome things I can do with this remote ? and I might get the cable and a few more remotes ...I guess another new hobby is starting ! ...LoL

I used the pre-programmed code for the TV and DVD. I was a bit teed off with code for my Viewsonic TV because of the two working codes it only had function to half the keys and I had to learn the rest like the channel toggle and numeric keys. While my elcheapo non learning RCA RCR311B remote had every key working with the first code.

I was just wondering want the Dish remote can do as an universal remote since they cost a lot retail and there is tons of info on it. I don't own any Dish equipment, but I do have a Drake C/Ku band system which uses a RF remote.

You should really look into Minix or other non Apple or Roku smart TV boxes and XBMC/Kodi, many people are cutting the cord and even Netflix because you can pretty much watch anything they offer and more for free. Pay back is less than a week for most purchases !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy80sMlB5lI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvW52ZNeRnM
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no Dish equipment, there is no reason to get a Dish remote. It's a dog. It has a very small device library and has very limited learning capability, no macros, no custom programming of any kind, no possibility of programming from a PC. Unless you've heard otherwise, Dish RF only works on Dish devices.

If you post your TV and DVD models, we can give you codes for every possible function plus extra ones that aren't even on the original remotes.

Awesome things the RCA can do, none of which Dish can do:

- Unlimited number of 15 step macros (activities) on any key
- 2 functions per button (primary and shifted)
- learn, macro or any function from any device on any key (or shifted key)
- device specific or global volume lock and channel lock
- favorites (multi-macros)

Get a JP1 cable and add the following capabilities
- unlimited macro steps
- macros that can call other macros (subroutines)
- conditional branching
- state tracking
- variables and flags
- unlimited devices via multiplexing
- 5 functions per button (primary, long press, double press, shifted and double shifted)
- variable length pauses
- custom devices and protocols allowing you to control every possible function of any device
- backup/restore any number of configs
- access to our huge library of devices
- import/export pronto hex
- drag and drop graphical programming
- map button groups from any mix of different devices using macros
- extremely fast macros
- IR signal analysis and new device creation from learns

Not bad for a $7 remote since many $300+ remotes can't even do all of that.

Minix looks interesting, but I already have a PC that does all of that but costs less. Minix doesn't even do Netflix in Super HD, so I'll stick with Roku for that. I've used XBMC on a Pi before, and while it was fun to play with, I don't really have a need for it since I still have cheap cable TV service which I'm not looking to get rid of anytime soon. Luckily, in the US we have cable card which make cable TV much more affordable.
EdT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that long list of JP1 features. I guess I picked the right remote at first I didn't even know it could do all this, but simply I liked the looks of the RCRP05BR compared to RCA's other newer learning remotes that looked toyish.

I have a VIEWSONIC HDTV N3735W as my test bench. On the RCRP05BR it is currently device coded to 2014 with only about half of the keys working, on my RCR311B it is device coded to 12014 and all the keys are working.

I have have the following coded
VIEWSONIC HDTV N3735W: 2014 +learned codes
SAMSUNG BLU-RAY BD-P1500: 0199
APEX DIGITAL TV CONVERTER DT250A: 2478
MINIX NEO X8-H: learned codes

Is there a difference between 4 digit codes vs 5 digit ones ? I tried to enter the 5 digit 12014 on the RCRP05BR and it didn't seem to accept it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV codes are actually fine and complete. The problem is that channel lock is turned on, so whenever you press a channel or digit, the commands for the CBL device are sent instead of the commands for the TV device. Just turn it off per the instructions below to unlock for all devices, then you can delete your learns, which are probably on the CBL device, not the TV device. They're probably also messing whatever you have assigned to the CBL button.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands#.28973.29_Channel_Lock_-_Locks_channel_control_to_specific_device

The 4 and 5 digit codes are identical, with the leading digit representing the device type (0=CBL/SAT, 1=TV, 2=DVD/BD, 3=Audio). To use 5 digit codes, drop the leading digit and assign to the appropriate device button (TV for TV codes, etc.). Follow the instructions in the manual to reassign a device button's type if needed in the future.
EdT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that list. The channel lock was confusing for me since I never ever had cable subscription ...LoL and I guess since the RCRP05BR is suppose to be a cable remote replacement it had channel lock enabled by default.

I disabled the channel lock and deleted the learned keys in the TV device mode with only the ASPECT key I needed to learn from the Viewsonic's remote.

There just one more problem I can't figure out for now, why I can't learn the POWER key in any of the device modes ? I want to learn the POWER key on the Minix remote to the RCRP05BR's POWER key under the DVR/AUX device mode. In the 975 code when I press the POWER button to be learn on the RCRP05BR it won't give the quick blink to accept from the Minix remote. Is there any other hidden code that would unlock this too ?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can add aspect using a code. In TV mode, hold Setup for 2 blinks, 994, tap Setup followed quickly by 00234 then press the key you want the Aspect function assigned to.

No learns on power is unfortunately a limitation of this model remote because of the special built-in master off macro on the power button. If you ever get a JP1 cable we can get around it. There is no manual way to do it.

Below are all the special function codes for every function of your Viewsonic. Assign each the same way as Aspect above. There are similar lists for all your devices except the Minix. No JP1 user has ever posted any codes for it. With a JP1 cable, these can all be loaded without entering each individual code.

Code:
00173   0
00205   1
00109   2
00141   3
00045   4
00077   5
00237   6
00013   7
00172   8
00204   9
00175   vol up
00207   vol down
00076   mute
00177   channel up
00209   channel down
00044   power
00103   menu
00170   program/guide
00111   display/info
00046   up arrow
00078   down arrow
00048   left arrow
00144   right arrow
00007   enter
00241   sleep
00176   input
00145   mts
00132   tv/catv
00049   sound
00110   picture
00106   fav a/d
00202   fav ch
00140   -
00113   return
00070   freeze
00043   zoom
00234   wide
EdT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how they never mention that the POWER key can't be learned in the user's manual.
"Do not use the following keys for learning: device keys, SETUP, (Record), Macro keys."

Where is the best place to get the JP1 cable or do I need to make it myself ?

Here are the IR codes for Minix remotes, maybe someone here can make sense of them:
http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?s=153ab2b0df2060e87edfec4558680011&attachmentid=8576&d=1414478569
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

In the mean time just learn power to some other key like Live. The Minix only has about a dozen commands, so you have plenty of unused buttons to choose from. Then make your own master power macro on some other key. I like pip on/off since it's labeled on/off already.

The manual has lots of errors and omissions. You should be able to learn to the record and macro keys as well.
EdT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB to TTL Serial Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset FT232 USB Cable on it's way. Can't wait to try this out ! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: