JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nothing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supertommy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
It looks like your interface is actually on COM17, but JP12Serial.dll is finding some other serial device at COM5, and is trying to use it.

In RMIR, try Remote\Interface\JP1.x Serial, and under Port Selection check Other and enter in COM17, or perhaps just 17.

belive me i m not a total newbie... if was a problem of port setting i was not seeing my device blinking (remote and cable too) so this mean something is happening ... problem is related to remote initialization using this cable

(you see different port number because i changed it many times to try if maybe this would help)

my cable has no DTR pinout it has only 5v gnd rx tx rts cts (it's an usb ft232r usb to serial) so i think the problem is related to this

anyway if i do tath in realterm
clear dtr
clear rts

set break on
set rts
clear rts
set break off

remote goes in serial mode and works like expected...

now problem is ... how can i make RM IR initialite my remote like i want?
as i can see from serial log RM IR use a different way to try to initialize my remote... and this way doesnt work in my situation....

remote initialization is done by jp12Serial.ddll ? is it opensource and recompilable? Maybe i have not enough skill to do in 5 minute but i will try...
or some one can help me Sad
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP12Serial 0.20 source
Just so you know, most cable interfaces don't have a DTR line, and the basic design of JP12Serial is to use RTS to manipulate Reset. However, some of the routines manipulate DTR, because some very early designs of JP1.1 and 1.2 interfaces used DTR. In other words, you shouldn't need to fiddle with DTR, and it should not be connected to your remote.
supertommy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: i hate dtr Reply with quote

i dont have enough know how to understand whi this happen
but it happen!

i dont have dtr pin or anything conected to dtr
but unsetting it... make my remote go in serial mode...

i have posted log everything... now it'ìs time for
who know... to tell me how da hell is going on
supertommy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINNALLY I DID IT

i found a solution! it's not elegant but it WORKS

using FT_PROG i reprogrammed the usb->serial adapter to invert the DTR signal....

and now it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can comunicate with remote using standard software!!!
debugtester recognize the remote as a jp1.2 remote.. but it's 1.3...

can this cause problem?
maybe uploading/download data is the same in 1.2 and 1.3?
or this maybe corrupt data on remote?

i guess the only thing different is the remote initialization ...?

can i start uploading/downloading safely?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that inside the interface cable--probably on the PCB--the DTR signal is fully or partially shorted to RTS. That would expalin why you need to change the state of a signal which is not connected to the remote. If it were my cable, I'd consider opening up the insulation around the PCB in an attempt to fix it. But... perhaps it will work just fine.
Once a 1.2 remote is in communication mode, the communication protocol is identical to a 1.3 remote.
supertommy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for your help...i will check later with a tester for a short between dtr/rts... now i wanna just play with my toy Smile

thanks for your time!

nb i cleaned up my post moving logs to pastebin
andyross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Windows Update drivers bricking USB serial chips Reply with quote

The move to combat counterfeit chips leaves hobbyists stuck in the middle.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/windows-update-drivers-bricking-usb-serial-chips-beloved-of-hardware-hackers/
HWTest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the victims Sad
oldsports

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Need help with JP1.3 cable and Atlas 1056-B01 remote Reply with quote

Hi - I read through all 10 pages of this thread but I could not find the answer I was looking for. I acquired an Atlas 1056-B01 remote and found out that it a JP1.3 remote. I had only programmed JP1 remotes with a parallel cable so I now needed to make a JP1.x cable.

I purchased an FTDI cable on eBay; it was not the same cable as in the Tommy Tyler instructions but I was able to match up the cable colors/signals. Here are the pins/signals/colors for my cable: 2/RTS/Yellow, 3/GND/Black, 4/TXD/Green, 6/RXD/White. I downloaded and installed the FTDI driver from the link in Tommy's instructions (CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe); my computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. After installing the driver, I plugged in the cable and it was recognized as COM3 (I have a regular serial port installed on COM1).

I downloaded and installed Java and RM v2.02 Beta. I started RMIR and plugged in my Atlas 1056-B01 (Black). When I click on the "Remote" menu, both the "Download from Remote" and "Upload to Remote" selections are greyed out which seems to say that the program does not recognize that the remote is connected.

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong? Thanks!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms say that JP12Serial.dll wasn't loaded, which isn't surprising since 2.02Beta didn't support 64 bits. In RMIR check Help\About. Probably you won't see a reference to JP12Serial.dll.

At the very least get RMIR 2.02a. 2.03 Alpha 28 is newer and better.
oldsports

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3FG - thanks for the quick response. I downloaded both RMIR 2.02a and 2.03 Alpha 27c (I did not find Alpha 28). I installed each of them and tried to read from my remote - unsuccessful both times. The good news is that the "Download from Remote" and "Upload from Remote" selections are not greyed out. However, when I try to download from remote I get the error message "No remotes found".

When I select "Remote/Interface/JP1.X Serial" I get a window that has three selections: Auto-detect, COM1 and Other. COM1 is the regular serial port installed in my computer; I was also expecting to see COM3 which is how my USB serial cable shows up in Device Manager. It seems as if RMIR does not recognize my USB serial port. I even entered "COM3" in the "Other" section but still no luck.

I guess I could have a faulty cable but I don't understand why RMIR does not see COM3 even though Device Manager says it is there. Any other advice?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Java are you running? I've found that the latest (version 8) has major issues with RMIR.
oldsports

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Java 1.8.0_31 (according to the "About" section of RMIR). Should I try an earlier version?
oldsports

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Java 1.7.0_76. I uninstalled 1.8.0_31 and installed the older version. Still no luck in reading from the remote and RMIR still does not see COM3. Help?!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the problem is with RMIR, if RMIR sees COM1. In Device Manager\Ports (COM & LPT), you should see USB Serial Port (COM3). Right click and select Properties. The General tab should say "this device is working properly". In Port Settings\Advanced, make sure Serial Enumerator is checked. The driver tab should say 2.12.0.0 (although I do just fine with 2.10.0.0)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: