JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volume Punch Through problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ednedn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Volume Punch Through problems Reply with quote

I've been through a huge number of problems trying to get my stuff moved off of URC-8810's onto Comcast / Xfinity remotes. It all started because I was going to update some settings on my remotes and my simple JP1 parallel interface was not compatible with any of my current machines. I ordered a JP1.1 serial remote thinking that was going to allow me to update my URC-8810's.

Of course that didn't work and I have the right stuff on order. But in the mean time, I bent over Pin-5 on my Xfinity remote and used the serial JP1.1 & JP1.2 cable to configure it. Everything is good except for one thing. And this one thing also existed on my URC-8810 remotes.

For some strange reason, the Volume Punch Through doesn't work on my Western Digital Media Player. It does work on my NetGear media player. I've tried everything I can think of. Including removing the volume function on my Western Digital Media Player upgrade trying to find a reason for this strange behavior.

I've uploaded the .ir file to the diagnostic area. It would be great if somebody can take a look at it and see if I've made an obvious mistake. The file is at:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12638

Thanks!!!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, ednedn
I'm sorry for the late reply.

Your problem seems to be in the Western Digital Upgrade Type.
Using RMIR, I changed the upgrade to Cable type, and punch through worked perfectly. I changed it back to DVD and punch through ceased to work.

So apparently having a setup code type of DVD on a CBL button in this remote interferes with Volume Punch through on the CBL device.

Device type usually isn't important. In my early days I thought that it interfered with the type of signal sent, Rolling Eyes Laughing , hahahahah. I've come a long way since then! Device type's major function is to determine which keys are available, without resorting to using keymoves. Device type is known to interfere with punch through on some remotes in certain situations. Apparently you bumped into this problem.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for taking a look at it and giving me an explanation! I had already figured out how to use Key-Moves and make it trigger the Volume +/- and Mute functions of the TV. But I wanted to understand and see what you had figured out.

So, I tried to use the information you gave me and I went into Keymap_Master and changed the device type to Cable. I deleted the existing device upgrade in IR and I copied the newly generated upgrade information in to IR as a new device. And of course, I deleted the Volume Key-Moves.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!

UPDATE:

I wanted to duplicate exactly what you did. You said you used RMIR to flip settings so I installed RMIR. I had to get the Java subsystem installed before I could make that work.

I got RMIR up and running and I configured a remote with it. I verified exactly what you said you did and have a better understanding of things. Is this the preferred tool going forward? Should I abandon IR ? And I'm a little bit confused. Does it's companion program Remote Master replace Key-Master?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: