JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can the OEM MS Media Center remote be hacked for JP1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Can the OEM MS Media Center remote be hacked for JP1? Reply with quote

Like the title. I really like this remote, but need it to do a little bit more. Can it be jacked?

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Just get a JP1 remote that looks like it.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
No. Just get a JP1 remote that looks like it.

I find this exact layout to be about the best there is. Are you saying there is a JP1 ready remote that this one is based upon?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCA RCRP05B (or BR) has pretty much exactly the same layout. Just map the Green Start function to the On Demand button. $10 or less online or at Radio Shack.

sjmaye

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej-

Nice remote. Just not close enough for me. I have a couple Harmony remotes that I am sure I can program and work, but the shape of the OEM remote along with button layout really works for me.

These OEM remotes can learn codes for volume and TV ON/OFF. There is a button designated for turning the media center on/off. All I really need is to be able to learn a code to that, but out of the box it cannot.

I have plenty spares of these remotes. If there is a chance to make the changes needed I would not mind sacrificing one for the cause.

Or is what I want to do just not possible with this remote?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible. But there are at least 100 JP1 remotes out there. You could probably still find something you like. I'll make a few more suggestions, then I'll stop guessing: URC-7820, URC-1058, or the URC-67100 (different layout but my personal fav and the one I use with many of my WMC extenders). You can see pics of most if you download the Maps and Images from the files section, in Tools, I think.

There are a few new remotes that aren't in the main Maps and Images file, like all the Xsights and some recent One-for-All's. The OARUSB04G is a nice one, technically not JP1, but fully programmable, nice backlighting, key feel and layout. It appears to be missing skip buttons, but it really isn't. The ffwd/rew buttons do double duty.

The main MCE code for JP1 and other UEI remotes is DVD 1972 (or 21972), or just load one of our many upgrades for MCE (any address), Xbox, Ortek, whatever kind of IR dongle you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: