JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coping with the lack of input source discretes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Coping with the lack of input source discretes Reply with quote

If your receiver or TV does not have discrete input functions it can be quite a hassle. In this post by me I described the problem and documented some not-so-simple solutions. Revisiting this problem on the same TV 2 years (to the day) later I found a much more effective, although not free, solution to this problem. The solution was a small piece of hardware that I found on Amazon - the Fosmon 5x1 HDMI switch - for just over $15. This device connects one of 5 inputs to the one output and has only 5 IR functions, discretes to select the requested input.

An extra advantage of the switch being a separate device is that it gets rid of timing issues that occur, especially when powering on the equipment. The switch does its job whether the TV is ready to receive inputs or not, so there is no need to program in pauses in macros that are setting up for a new activity.

Yet another advantage is for my Wii-U game system. I always had a button on the remote to switch to that input and then after a session of game playing, I had to pick up the remote to switch back, usually to watching cable. This switch handles this automatically - When the game console is turned on, the input switches automatically to that input and then when it is turned off, it goes back to cable. You have to do some experimenting as to where to plug each device into the box, and the instructions that come with it are of no help.

In my opinion, the small cost is well justified to avoid the programming and the loss of sync between the remote and the device that invariably happens to the person least able to cope with it, when I am not in the building.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great solution for me, as we have more HDMI equipment than we have HDMI inputs.

I see that it has only 5 IR discretes, but when I did a file search I didn't find the upgrade. Crying or Very sad Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see that it has only 5 IR discretes, but when I did a file search I didn't find the upgrade.
Oops, my job isn't done.

I have now uploaded it at: Fosmon 5x1 HDMI Intelligent Switch
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil
greeno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option (more expensive though) is to buy a new receiver that does HDMI switching for you. 2 years ago I upgraded and am glad that I did.

I also like the monoprice HDMI switchers like these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=hdmi+switcher
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'd say a lot more. I've been looking at an AV receiver for more than a year. The price is giving me pause.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, I first tried to solve this problem with a switcher from MonoPrice. I don't remember exactly which model but it did not handle DHCP pass-through correctly. When I switched to the Comcast cable box, it produced an error. I have no idea if they have solved this problem or not, but at the time I just returned it and gave up on that solution. Flash forward to the present - one third the price, 1/10 the size, AND it works correctly.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Yes I'd say a lot more. I've been looking at an AV receiver for more than a year. The price is giving me pause.

I know some people don't like buying refurb, but I have bought three receivers from here over the years:
http://www.accessories4less.com/

And had very good luck with them.

YMMV of course.

xnappo
greeno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Two years ago, I first tried to solve this problem with a switcher from MonoPrice. I don't remember exactly which model but it did not handle DHCP pass-through correctly. When I switched to the Comcast cable box, it produced an error. I have no idea if they have solved this problem or not, but at the time I just returned it and gave up on that solution. Flash forward to the present - one third the price, 1/10 the size, AND it works correctly.

glad you've got a good robust working solution. the description of the one's I linked above, I looked closely at the last one (3x1 mini HD ...). it says it conforms to the HDCP spec, and correctly passes 30bit and 36bit color. I'd not be afraid to try this one. my luck with monoprice components has been very good. YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: