JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Champion 2025 (URC-2025) from UEI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Champion 2025 (URC-2025) from UEI Reply with quote

I see that UEI has a new remote they call the Champion 2025.
see: http://www.uei.com/product/north-america/champion

This looks like a fairly nifty remote. At least two cable companies use them - Cogeco and EastLink. There seem to be enough buttons on the remote to handle smart TV, advanced BluRay player functions and DLNA functions - so I thought it was worth a look. I almost scored one via Kijiji but was too late - I'm sure another will turn up fairly soon. When I get my hands on one, I'd like to see what can be done with it using the JP1 software.

According to the UEI doc: "EZ Updater Hub, which supports code down-loads from a PC to seven remotes with a single key-press and can be connected to Champion without removing the battery door." So this remote probably has the five-pin interface port located on the base of the remote (same as the Champ 2020). I expect this remote uses the JP2.x processor and coding.

I seem to recall that somewhere on this forum, someone had figured out how to make an adapter for the five-pin bottom socket on this remote to mate with an existing JP 1.2 / 1.3 interface (I use Tommy Tyler's). For the life of me, I can't find the posting.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone worked with this remote?
2. Can someone point me at the posting for the five-pin bottom interface cable adapter.

... Tony

Last edited by Anthony_Patrick on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding item 2, here's a thread about the Cox 8820BC0. Also Tommy's method of adapting a cable to the 5 pin coinnector.
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Regarding item 2, here's a thread about the Cox 8820BC0. Also Tommy's method of adapting a cable to the 5 pin coinnector.

Thanks for the link Smile

This exactly the posting and adapter I was looking for. The link for the 5-pin adapter should be added into the Hardware section of the forum. It's tough to find otherwise...

Now to source the remote Rolling Eyes
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally managed to source a Champion 2025 remote (from EBay). There seem to be many sellers now...

In any case, this remote has a great look and feel - akin to the URC-1167. It has back-lighting (on any button press). It has 55 buttons including buttons for all of the newer "A", "B", "C", "D" functions used by the newer Smart TVs and Blu Ray players. It also has the "->|" button for the skip forward / right options menu supported by many devices.

Here is the UEI site for the remote: http://www.uei.com/product/north-america/champion

Here is the glossy: http://www.uei.com/pdf/uploads/products/files/Champion.pdf

Here is the manual: http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/MUG2025F_A_03.pdf

The UEI designation for the remote is: 2025B0-B1 (stamped on the back of the case).

The signature blink-back is "25461" when using setup function 983.

Tommy Tyler's method of adapting a JP1.3 / JP2 cable for the 5 pin connector at the bottom of this remote works. The remote can be read and written to using the JP utilities. It seems to have lots of internal memory available for upgrades.

Internally the recorded signature for the remote is "254601".

I am now in the process of documenting the key codes for each key. I can/will create the IMG and MAP files for the remote.

However, I do need help in setting up an RDF for this remote. Any volunteers?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Patrick wrote:
According to the UEI doc: "EZ Updater Hub, which supports code down-loads from a PC to seven remotes with a single key-press and can be connected to Champion without removing the battery door." So this remote probably has the five-pin interface port located on the base of the remote (same as the Champ 2020). I expect this remote uses the JP2.x processor and coding.

I've not noticed this thread before and am curious to know more about this EZ Updater Hub. I wondered why UEI had moved to an external JP2 connector on the Cox 8820BC0. Does it mean that UEI supplies a lead to connect this 5-pin connector to the PC? Is it a sort of half-way house between other JP1/2 remotes and the XSight ones that connect to the PC via a standard USB connector to use UEI's EZ-RC web-based setup?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Is it a sort of half-way house between other JP1/2 remotes and the XSight ones that connect to the PC via a standard USB connector to use UEI's EZ-RC web-based setup?

Well it is for the cable companies not end users. It allows them to quickly update 'churn' remotes to work with different equipment.

Personally I prefer they just dump them on eBay Very Happy

xnappo
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the reference to "EZ Updater Hub" on the glossy spec. sheet for this remote at: http://www.uei.com/pdf/uploads/products/files/Champion.pdf

You can also find a reference here: http://investor.uei.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=84751&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1573697&highlight=
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much thanks to 3FG in developing a trial RDF for this remote. I've got an .IMG file ready and am in the middle of developing the .MAP file. I'll start the testing and let everyone know how it goes. Smile Smile Smile

I see from the address of the upgrade area and from the RDF that this remote only has 2K of upgrade memory - which is probably O.K. If anyone ever writes an extender for the remotes using the MAXQ61x processors, the 2k won't cut-it. With these remotes having 64K of flash memory, lobotomizing un-needed OEM code when an extender is installed could provide a workable solution.
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted my MAP, Image, and candidate RDF file for the URC-2025 remote here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11977

Note: Although RM and the candidate RDF does not (yet?) support the "Video Input" punch through for this remote - the method documented in the user instruction manual does work. So you can program the remote using RM / RMIR and use the method documented in the manual to set the "Video Input" punch through.

Before using RM to program this remote, you should "download" it first (using RMIR) and then apply the programming you desire to the "download" copy. This will prevent things like the "Video Input" punch-through from getting lost.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure if the Cox 8820BC0 and Champion 2025 remote
has a JP-port ??

I have just bought the Cox 8820-MOTO which has no JP-Port
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cox 8820-MOTO should have 5 holes at the bottom of the remote instead of the traditional 6 pin header in the battery compartment.

See this thread for connection details, and note that since this is a JP2 remote, interface cables made specifically by DIY Gadget seem to not work. FTDI based or other home built cables do work. User eferz has exactly a Cox 8820-MOTO remote, and it worked for him.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool....Thank 3FG now I know which way to go !!
Anthony_Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Champion 2025 remote is also a JP2 remote and is programmed via the 5 holes at the bottom of the remote instead of the traditional 6 pin header in the battery compartment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: