JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The decades missing Advanced Codes for VCR_0072

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuctionHound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: The decades missing Advanced Codes for VCR_0072 Reply with quote

Been filling my shelves with old VCR gear from country auctions, and I ran across one that none of my universal remotes had codes for it for more than Power, Play FF/RW, and Stop (well, one finally had a few more but not much). I finally tracked it down to a whole group of missing manufacturers devices from your Advanced Codes lists. These are the ones I found by doing a manual 3-digit input using an old Maestro II universal remote. There's one area of codes that enables some kind of onscreen factory menu display (setup options?) when you toggle on-screen-display OFF, but I could never track down exactly which missing 3-digits it was between 060 to 115. Without having the cursor keys readily available as simple remote buttons, and not wanting to snafu the unit, I didn't play more in that area whenever I accidentally got it to display again.

(note: codes wrap-around after 256)

Code:

Universal-Remote Discrete Codes for VCR - Device Type 072

(Mfgs: Colt , Craig , CCE , Harwood , KLH , Logik , Memorex , Multitech , Protec , Shintom , Singer , Wards , White Westinghouse , XR-1000)

These are the codes accepted by a Memorex MVR4040-F VCR

052 - Display Info Mode Toggle (None(Factory Setup), Counter/Date-Time(246 Toggle), All)
053 - Fast Forward (Send 1 or 2 times for 2 view speeds in playback)
054 - Rewind to Memory Counter 0000
055 - Record
056 - Left Cursor
057 - Exit / Reset Counter

059 - Right Cursor

104 - LOCK Enable/Disable Display (If disabled with this when off it won't turn on again unless issued again.)

106 - Factory Setup Display OFF (Appears when 052 is issued to turn OFF all display modes.)

(NOTE: Weird using 106 worked just 1 time to turn OFF the factory display mode, it's not a toggle.)

116 - Digit 4
117 - Digit 0
118 - Digit 6
119 - Digit 2
120 - Digit 5
121 - Digit 1
122 - Digit 7
123 - Digit 3

180 - Stop -- x2 = Eject
181 - VCR/Antenna Select
182 - Power ON/OFF
183 - Rewind (normal) (Send 1 or 2 times for two reverse view speeds in playback)
184 - Pause
185 - Channel Down
186 - Channel Up
187 - Play

231 - Discrete EP Select
232 - (LP? WARNING: locks device and shuts down, must unplug and press power (discharge caps) to clear RAM to enable again)
233 - Discrete SP Select

244 - EP/SP Toggle
245 - Digit 8 -- ALSO Slow-Playback Speed DOWN
246 - Counter/Time Display Info Toggle
247 - Digit 1

249 - Digit 9 -- ALSO Slow-Playback Speed UP
250 - Menu

Last edited by AuctionHound on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AuctionHound, welcome to our forum.

I see you did a 256 code search for your functions. Cool, this often turns up buttons that are not on the original remote, although it can also get you into strange places like EFC 106 did.

I believe the old Advance Code sheets only cover the earliest remotes. There are many more setup codes that have not been covered.

Setup code 0172 uses Nec1 134.124 codes. The EFC's for the more basic functions could have been found in the LookupTool. Typically we would have looked at our upgrade codes to find a Memorex upgrade, but none of our upgrades are for Nec1 134.124 signals.

The information you posted here would be much easier to use if we actually had the upgrade using our tools. So using the information you provided, there is an RDMU that spells out the information in an easier to use format.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12050

If you actually look at the upgrade you will see the OBCs that the information translates too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
AuctionHound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what all that means. (re: EFC, Nec1, RDMU?, etc.)

I've never had the tools for a programmable remote using the JP1(?) port. While I was glad to see that that old Maestro II remote (a 1$ ebait find) had the plug for it, I never pursued that feature. Beyond my at-the-time expertise and worth-fiddling-with levels. Smile

I just wanted to share what I had found since nothing else I could find on the net seemed to apply to this 072 device. (outside of finding an OEM remote)

Maybe someone can make some use of that info I posted and put it into a format that your tools can use.

I only recently was given an HDTV that needed fixing (power-supply), so up til just a few months ago had never even seen anything broadcast in HDTV. (rural and poor here, I never buy anything from an auction for more than $1, my personal challenge and spending limit Smile )

I was pleasantly amazed, astounded even, at how well the 3D-noise-reduction (temporal pre/post-frame data filler) in these HDTV devices can clean up a signal from even an EP recorded VHS tape (not even in SVHS) making it look cleaner with more resolution than even SP record modes, so maybe people will still be putting some of this older VHS tech into use yet again some day. Those codes might yet be handy for someone besides me.

VHS still sure beats the dead-after-5-uses DVD-RW in a DVR I've tried in the past for time-shifted viewing on a budget. That's for sure.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuctionHound wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what all that means. (re: EFC, Nec1, RDMU?, etc.)

I've never had the tools for a programmable remote using the JP1(?) port. While I was glad to see that that old Maestro II remote (a 1$ ebait find) had the plug for it, I never pursued that feature. Beyond my at-the-time expertise and worth-fiddling-with levels. Smile

Even if you don't have the cable the tools can still yield a lot of information. Say you bought something at auction, and it was missing a remote, you can see if we have an upgrade for something similar. Once you open the upgrade, like the one I created from your information, you can see EFC's (Advanced Codes) and what kind of upgrade it uses. Then you can see if those EFC's can be used by your remote, by checking the lookup tool to find if there is any setup code that can be used with the EFC (advanced code). All pretty cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: